CrazyBoards.org

Afraid of someone knocking on the door

Is anyone else here terrified of someone knocking on their door unexpectedly? I can't relax in my own house when I am alone because I am convinced someone will knock on my door. I have taken klonopin, am doing breathing exercises and trying to mentally convince myself that there is no reason to have this fear. Nothing is working. Any suggestions or people who can commiserate?

I can understand because I'm like this too.  When things get really bad I cover up the windows with wrapping paper (always pretty) or when I get hard core, aluminum foil.  Although I will usually answer the door, I keep the storm door locked and talk between it.  That way it gives me some manner of protection from strangers.  If I'm particularly bugged out then I have my husband answer or we don't answer it at all.

I'm like that too.  Unless I know ahead of time who it is, I hate when someone knocks on my door.  If someone does unexpectedly, I've learned to ONLY talk through the door unless it is one of the people upstairs I am friends with, or sometimes if they identify themselves and I know them by voice I might open the door.  Sometimes I just don't respond and they eventually leave.

I totally get this.

Nearly a year ago my husband was out and we had a policeman knock on the door at 11pm to tell me that he was sorry but there had been an accident. I was practically sick but it turned out that they had got the wrong street (there are 4 in our city named the same, sadly) and I could not relax in the house when he was at work after that. Then a few months ago the police came round again and shoved a search warrant in my face then barged passed me intent on searching the place because of something someone else had done, that lived at the same named street, same number too. Fucked me up no end as I was home alone. 

I've even had people knock on the front door and then come and knock on the living room window seconds later, in case I 'haven't heard them' this REALLY freaks me out because there's a bush and a tree that blocks my view to the path towards the front door, so I am blind and I cannot see if anyone is approaching... and when a face appears at the door... 

We get some kids playing knock a door run too, urgh. Doors.

Edited by Paperskyscraper

When the doorbell rings when I am alone in the house anxious and depressed the sound is distressing but I just ignore the noise, pretending no one is home as if a moat appeared in front of my doorstep, drawbridge lifted, house inaccessible.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I can totally relate to all of this. I will avoid answering the door if I am not expecting someone. And is I am expecting someone i tend to hover around the front door until i see their car pull up. I have a glass window in my front door so I can who's there but I tend to hde on my couch and wait for unexpected visitors to disappear. We put a security door up, which makes me feel a little better but my anxiety goes into overdrive still if a stranger comes up.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I can't handle anyone knocking on the door or ringing the doorbell unexpectedly. I've had a few traumatic experiences that caused this anxiety. If I'm home alone I wont answer the door, sometimes I'll hide... but even if my husband is home I still get a mini panic attack and feel sick to my stomach anytime someone comes to the door. 

I was coerced into watching that movie The Strangers and that's made it 100x worse. Do not ever, ever, ever watch that movie!

I have no suggestions, but I am the same way. I always hide when someone knocks on my door (unless I'm expecting a visitor, which is rare, or the UPS delivery person- thank god for peep holes). More than once my landlord or a maintenance worker has found me hiding in the bathroom after I dropped everything and hid when I heard them knocking. Talk about embarrassing. Ugh. Sometimes I wish I lived in a little cabin in the middle of the woods, so things like this would never happen.

Edited by hagar running

I have a habit of always making sure my door is dead-bolted locked all the time and I always have a phone near me.  I find when I do this and someone knocks on the door, I still get a panic attack, but then calm down a little because I figure I know the door is locked, and if they get in here it means they have to break in, and I'll just call 911.  So I have the phone in hand, and if I don't end up opening the door they go away.

Fortunately when UPS delivers they knock and yell "UPS" so I know it isn't a random knock that could be anyone.  It scares me but at least I know it is most likely them (and yes, thank God for peep holes!).

I hide hah I have always been that way since I was a kid, if someone knocks then I bolt under a desk our under the bed. I dont even know what it is I expect to happen, I just dont want anyone to know I am there. My boyfriend is always complaining about how dark it is in our apartment because I abovey let him have the curtains open. There is just something about three outside knowing that I am there. If someone knocks I spend the next couple hours afraid to breath. Its been bad at times where I spent the whole day looking out of my peephole just in case someone knocks. I had s stalker that used to hang out by my door and knock ay night so I think that did not help me fear of knocking.

In LA it was not that strange to be wary of people because you always heard stories about being robbed. I live in a really rural trusting community now and people dont even lock the door so I seem a little more weird when peoplr visit :P I would never open my door but out here that is strange to people.

• 2 weeks later...

Landlady has gotten rid of the entire front garden, although I am gutted that whist I was away she chopped down the trees (and ruthlessly left them in a pile in the garden like corpses) and she didn't give me chance to save the herbs it has done wonders for my door anxiety. I can see everyone that walks by the house, and so I know in advance if someone is going to knock, providing I am in the living room, which I usually am when I'm on my own.

Those hedges and bushes, I couldn't even go out at night in fear of someone jumping out at me. 

I am exactly the same way.  I hate it when someone knocks on the door.  What makes it worse is I have children so they all get loud when someone knocks so I can't even pretend not to be home :/  

I'm so paranoid about it.  I'm half convinced that every car that goes down our street, every head light at night, will turn into our driveway and it'll be the police or something and something bad will happen.  ridiculous 

Indigo: That rocks! (I am also video-posting impaired)

I live in a secure apartment building with a broken buzzer. So if someone knocks on my door, I DO panic. 

I get super anxious waiting for people to come over though. Some friends and family have apartment keys (we made our landlord give our friends and family keys since the buzzer doesn't work) and when they finally knock I nearly jump out of my skin or pee my pants...

mal, why are you afraid of someone knocking?

System,

One of my main fears is that the person knocking will somehow be my landlord (who has never stopped by without calling in the year and a half we've lived here.) I am afraid the house will be too messy and we'll get kicked out. I have to say, though, in the last month or so my fear of someone knocking has gotten much better. I realize I don't have to answer the door if someone knocks. It's my house, I can do what I want.