CrazyBoards.org

Pristiq for Anxiety?

Hi,

I'm new to the CB community,  but excited to see there are so many of you out there like me! I've done a bit of stalking on these boards and read the Pristiq threads, but it seems like a lot of them are old or newer ones are about quitting Pristiq.

I am just going into week 2 on Pristiq 50mg- I was put on it for my GAD (and subsequent depression induced by my anxiety). Week 1 was hell for me- nausea, fogginess, exhaustion, INSOMNIA, internal shakiness, jaw clenching/tremor, increased anxiety, the works. I'm looking for some current feedback from Pristiq users (past or present).

*Has anyone had side effects this bad and had them go away? If so, when?

*Is anyone taking Pristiq for anxiety or just depression?

*How did you deal with the hell of adapting to the med?

*Any other thoughts??

I'm really hoping to not have to do much of the med-go-round because I have anxiety about doctors and new medicines- go figure, right? I am sensitive to meds of all sorts and always expect some side effects, so I'm hoping I just have to wait for the calm after the storm.

Thanks in advance!

Welcome!

I have been taking Pristiq 50mg for a few months now. I take it for depression but I feel it had helped with anxiety as well.

Like you I experienced a lot of side effects right off the bat. For me they started to taper off after about three weeks. But those first few weeks were definitely not pleasant for me..or anyone who lives with me, lol.

All of the beginning side effects aside though..this medication has been wonderful for me. I hope that even if Pristiq doesn't turn out to be the right fit you find something that is.

Thank you- I'm going into week 3 now and some side effects seem to be easing up. The jaw clenching is still pretty bad, the insomnia is awful, and I get bouts of queasiness. But hopefully these will start to get better soon and I can determine if the medicine is actually helping the anxiety. It's so frustrating!!

It's been making me feel much, much worse. I had a few okay days scattered here and there, but for the most part I have been pretty miserable, especially the past few days, I've just been in a downward spiral. Today I feel like I have no control over my emotions whatsoever, my anxiety is through the roof, and I'm pretty much miserable. The thing is, the same sort of thing happened when I was on cymbalta, too. I'm thinking I may stay away from SNRIs, or maybe from medication altogether. A this point I don't trust my own instincts, though.

Not really, and I "forgot" to take it last night and had a much, MUCH better day today. Talked to my therapist and told her that I think I would rather deal with my stuff without medication, and she agreed that if I think I can do it, then thumbs up. If not, then I guess I'll try something else!

Honestly, one of the things that works really well for me is meditating. At first it was tough to shut my brain up (I'm a major ruminator), but with practice it became a great way to calm myself down. I do it daily, try to do it twice daily, and I really think it's been a huge help.

I need to meditate. I go to AA mtgs and the mtg I attend has a period of meditation (5 minutes) and I like it. I want to start my day with meditation and get back to working on my mindfulness. I'm a big ruminator, too. And when I'm manic it's really difficult to get my mind to calm down. I have some meditation practice cds (by Jon Zabat-Zinn) and am going to try starting my day with one of them tomorrow.