CrazyBoards.org

Hallucinations, delusions...no thought disorder/psychosis/depression?

You seemingly have psychosis from what I've read. When you don't fit into the realm of schizophrenia sometimes you fall under "psychosis NOS" this is used more for first cases of psychosis. 

You realize psychosis is paranoia, hallucinations (seeing things or hearing things that aren't their), and delusions (believing things that aren't true)......You definitely have some sort of psychosis....and with racing thoughts....look into mania or "disorganized" psychosis: 

"The speech of individuals with psychosis may be disorganized in such a way that the person moves quickly from one topic to the next, or to the point where the person's speech may not be understandable.

The behavior of individuals with psychosis also may be disorganized. The person may have difficulties performing activities of daily living (e.g., cooking, self-care) or display inappropriate behaviors or responses (e.g., laughing while describing a personal tragedy)." 

"Delusions (Fixed false beliefs)

Such as:

• being followed or monitored
  • being plotted against
  • having special abilities or "powers" 
  • certain songs or comments are specifically directed toward oneself or communicating a hidden message
  • being controlled by forces or other individuals
  • having one's thoughts broadcast so others can hear them

Hallucinations 
Hallucinations involve seeing, hearing, feeling, smelling or tasting something that is not actually there. The most common type of hallucination involves hearing things - such as voices or particular sounds. These hallucinations can be so real that the individual may not realize that what they are hearing is false. It is often the odd behavior that happens as a result of the hallucinations that gets recognized as a problem."

"The following conditions have been known to trigger psychotic episodes in some people:

• schizophrenia – a chronic (long-term) mental health condition that causes hallucinations and delusions
  • bipolar disorder – previously called manic depression, bipolar disorder affects your moods, which can swing from one extreme to another
  • severe stress or anxiety
  • severe depression – feelings of extreme sadness that last a long time (including postnatal depression, which some women experience after having a baby)
  • lack of sleep"

Here is a video that may aid you in understanding psychosis: 

Again talk to your doctor/psychiatrist about this or any of your concerns. 

Edited by Forbidden91

thank you so much for answering and making me feel like I was not insane thinking I have psychosis. I should say that I don't really have any problems with functioning but am a little disorganized. Any idea what would lead my tester to think I didn't have it?

We are unable to diagnose you here. But we can offer support whenever you need it. 

Psychosis is a very complex brain illness. There is even such a thing as quasi-psychosis, which is like psychosis but it isn't true psychosis. Don't worry, that confuses me too. 

So, due to the complexity of psychosis, you can see how we can't really give you a lot of advice. But we can certainly listen when you are scared, confused or disoriented. 

Real life extends beyond the confining definitions of the DSM/ICD. So, what you are experiencing may really not be psychosis. I agree with your decision to seek a second opinion, however. 

I thought that I was psychotic. I ebded up being dx'd with something that I'd never heard of until I was being dx'd with it.

The opinion of crazy people means nothing without more factors than we can ever hope to acquire. If you're worried, see your doctor.

You have psychosis. When you don't fit into the realm of schizophrenia sometimes you fall under "psychosis NOS" this is used more for first cases of psychosis.

Forbidden... you, as far as I know, are not qualified to be handing out diagnoses, nor is it appropriate to be handing out diagnoses over a peer-based internet support site. 

There are many possible causes of hallucinations, paranoia, and delusions... some of which the OP states have already been ruled out, or at least obvious causes have been attempted to be ruled out.

em, is your current therapist supportive of you developing coping strategies to address your symptoms, regardless of their specific cause?