CrazyBoards.org

Dissociation, derealization and depersonalization

I've only recently been dxed with this one, and my various tdocs debate if I have it or not or if it is just a part of PTSD. I'm a little fuzzy on the difference between the three types of symptom

Can anyone suggest good reading material or links? There is a lot of rather confusing info on the net and some people seem to use the terms interchangeably

I don't have distinct other personalities, but I have fractured shards of me in my head that often have mutually exclusive goals or wants ;) This is hard to explain to people and hard to understand with  in my own self. When I just "go away" I don't seem to be somebody else, I'm just unaware of passage of time and what I've been doing during the gone period.  This is pretty frustrating, though I don't seem to ever leave the house, I just seem to switch off and go away.

I'm trying the mindfulness technique, but I'm usually not awre that I've switched off until afterwards

GRRRRRR! frustrating

This is the best I've seen, at least when it comes to describing my own experience.  I've not been formally diagnosed with this, but I sure can relate to a lot of it.  I have no DID issues.  I have a hunch mine is the result of doing as much of every drug I could bet my hands on right after high school.

Some of my personalities have been just that. Fractured shards of myself. I've always called them 'splinters' ;) Sometimes they'd be there just to hold a specific memory or do a specific task. And sometimes I'm not aware that I've been gone until afterwards either. It's like I'll go out and do things all day, and when I get home, I'll sort of snap out of it and realize I had no idea what happened the entire day.

A really good book (in my opinion anyway) is Amongst Ourselves. It's a book aimed directly at other people with DID to tell them more about themselves and how to deal, and had been a great help for me. It goes into a little detail about 'splinters' as well.

In addition to the site Velvet Elvil gave, here are a couple others that look good:

Dissociation: http://www.dissociation.co.uk/intro.htm

(a lot of the pages on dissociation are focused on multiple personality/DID)

Some information about derealization, and often compared to depersonalization:

http://www.panic-anxiety.com/depersonaliza...m#derealization

Fiona

• 9 months later...

Archived