CrazyBoards.org

Should I invite my husband to my next pdoc meeting?

They have never met, but I have asked him to come to other pdocs when I wasn't doing well for support and to help explain my symptoms. I feel fine but I am going through a med change 20 mg abilify down to 2-7 mg. I am at 5 now. Pdoc said he wants to fine tune my meds, but I don't know what all he has in mind. He was acting strange my last appointment and I didn't have a chance to ask many questions. I go back in 2 weeks. I just would like him to be in the loop with the changes and maybe what to look for or do if I start bouncing off the walls. I don't even know if he could make it since it is during his workday. I could ask the questions myself and tell him, too. I'm cautiously optimistic about having my meds changed, but I am a little nervous that I will start having some symptoms.

I don't see why not, if he is supportive. I wish mine was. He says he cares, etc. but puts in zero effort to understand and says things like, "What, are you depressed?" when I am manic. Duh. Maybe it will help your husband to be more compassionate and help you when you aren't feeling good? I know nothing of your situation but a little knowledge wouldn't hurt anyone. :)

My husband comes to all my pdoc appointments.  He talks to the pdoc to tell her my symptoms or sometimes he remembers stuff I don't or stuff that I don't remember.  I think it would be good for you and your husband.  But that's just what I think.

I have noticed that other doctors take my husband more serious than me when I mention symptoms.

I agree with above posters.  Maybe you can talk with pdoc first before your husband comes into the appt, so you will know more of what to expect (if you don't want pdoc to say something/or say something/talk about something particular. 

If I was in your situation I would probably see pdoc first and then with husband, then pdoc alone before you leave the office to process what was talked about during the appt.

I have short appointments.  They are scheduled for 15 minutes but when I was just coming for refills they were shorter.  We don't really have time to go back and forth.  

Maybe pdoc will stay more on topic if my husband is there?

I have short appointments.  They are scheduled for 15 minutes but when I was just coming for refills they were shorter.  We don't really have time to go back and forth.  

I would first have a conversation with the pdoc yourself - tell him about your concerns, fears, that you wanted to bring your husband, etc.  Right off the bat when you walk in the room.  Write everything down first so you don't get flustered and forget what you need to communicate. Plan this out at home with your husband before the appointment.   It is very important that you understand what your pdoc has in mind.  We are not machines and not all people react the same to every med.

I would first have a conversation with the pdoc yourself - tell him about your concerns, fears, that you wanted to bring your husband, etc.  Right off the bat when you walk in the room.  Write everything down first so you don't get flustered and forget what you need to communicate. Plan this out at home with your husband before the appointment.   It is very important that you understand what your pdoc has in mind.  We are not machines and not all people react the same to every med.

This is a good idea. It is important that you learn how to most effectively communicate with your doctor. Writing notes is good. Bring them. I do this. A lot of people do this. Your pdoc shouldn't think anything of it other than you want to cover a few things in an organized way. Having your husband help write your issues to cover helps him better understand where you are at.

You could also tell your pdoc that you want to invite your husband to the next appointment so that they can meet. That gives your husband and pdoc heads up.