CrazyBoards.org

Can Bipolar be a BLESSING!

If I hadn't gone thru the hyper manic psychosis due to being brought out by meth use.....A year after that I would of never been scared about going back to jail and going thru that again because I never paided any fines.....So I look at it like when I came to the Cross and accepted that Jesus is the Son of God.....I got so hypo manic that it set me free from meth. I desired that high rather then meth. Even tho I was tempted many times I never caved in......So this was either so crazy event that was spontanious or God was involved. I want to think it was both.

I don't believe bipolar is a blessing or a curse. It is an illness. It is a physical illness with mental symptoms. It requires me to take medication to function. Most illnesses that require ongoing meds are unhealthful, which is why medicine is necessary. For any emotional, mental or spiritual positive I may have gained from bipolar, I can think of more healthful ways I could have made the same gains.

I am glad that you feel you have gained from having BP.  I, however, do not share that with you.  Living a life that is in a near constant state of upheaval is not what I signed up for.  Taking six meds multiple times a day is not leading me down the path of enlightenment.  Being hospitalized multiple times is not a blessing I need.  BP has made everything about my life more difficult. I see no silver lining to this particular cloud.

Okay like me clarify. It stopped me in my tracks for destroying my life thru drug's. But yes I have been in IP several times for this....Lost alot of relationships because of BP......I guess I'm looking at the glass half full then half empty.

Edited by sonicwhite

Maybe it has been a blessing for you, another possibility is that had you never been mentally ill, you wouldn't have used meth in the first place. Substance abuse is extremely common for those with BP. My time spent doing meth was definitely an attempt to self medicate.

I wouldn't say it was a blessing, or a curse (I almost typed corpse, Freudian much?). It certainly is a strange illness compared to what many other with chronic illnesses will experience. Nothing to be done about that. I have a hard time figuring out what my life would be like without it, and I've thought about it a lot. So at the moment, I call it reality.

I don't think bipolar was a blessing.  Granted I probably am a different person today because of it, but overall I am not glad to have it.  Part of me is glad to have a diagnosis though and be on meds, because when I wasn't on meds my life was hell too (as much as I hate taking medication, it has helped).

Absolutely definitely yes. You can say that maybe I'm just having one of my good days right now and I probably won't say this on the bad days. But... I feel like it makes me see the truth. And that is very important to me.

I like being different. And it made me see who my real friends are. When things got bad, I was able to filter those who judge me and now I have friends who really accept me for who I am. It's been two years since I was diagnosed. I lost a lot of friends because of problems caused by my illness. It turns out, they only wanted the hypomanic me (when I was still undiagnosed) that I was before my first clinical depression and in the long run, I was happy to get rid of them. They can go live their perfect little lives which I call boring.

My life is not easy and things get ugly sometimes because of this. But without it, I wouldn't be able to really feel and it made me understand other people more. I am an artist. And my having Bipolar and ADHD has contributed greatly to my craft. Without it, I wouldn't see the world as I do now. There is this strange beauty in reality that makes me appreciate everything I was blind to before. The pain. The strength of those who are living with this and are able to do more than normal people can. I guess I'm crazy that way. And that is exactly my point. I'm saying this in the perspective of an actor, writer, singer, hopefully director one day. I was able to do certain roles well because of my experiences. I probably wouldn't be able to act as well, cry as well, laugh as well, affect my audience as well if my feelings weren't genuine. Acting needs truth otherwise, it's just pretending. So this is very long now but yes, it has helped me a lot.

But I'm not a hypocrite and I know there are a lot of days that I say it's also a curse. And in days like these, I'm okay with it.