CrazyBoards.org

Do you have friends with the same mental illness as yours?

Please forgive me admin if this is not the right to post this.

Hi just want to start a light topic.

I find it amusing to find friends with mental illnesses because it seems like we gravitate toward each other. It's weird and I believe it's a blessing. You know that feeling when you meet someone and just feel comfortable around them? Then we later find out or confess to each other that we are living with mental illnesses. I just find it comforting.

Do you have friends with mental illnesses too? What do you usually do when you get together or would like to do? Does it cause problems?

I have several friends that are bp. Some of them live in my town but we just chat on facebook, another is an old friend from high school that I didn't hang out with in h.s. but talk to now that we're on opposite sides of the US and have discovered that we're both bp, and others I hang out with in person. I don't know what I'd do without them! We're sounding boards/support for each other. It's nice to have ppl to talk to that understand.

I also have friends that have anxiety, ed, depression, and PTSD.

Edited by Jaytea

I'm pretty isolated right now, but I've had friends with BP before and certainly most friends I've had were MI in some way. It really is great to have people around you who understand and I agree that we tend to gravitate toward each other.

It is.. it is great to have them around. I found that getting rid of those who judge you is the first step of finding the ones who will accept you for who you are. I was friendless for quite some time too before I met the people who understood me. My ex bestfriend was a total conformist and sees me as a loser after I got diagnosed. I just decided I don't deserve to be treated that way. So now I have my weird friends around and we're happy.

ive had a friend with bad adhd since sixth grade so about seven years now.  our mi doesnt actually bring us much closer. he perfers not to talk about it.  we are friends for other reasons. although we are understanding if the other falls off the face of the earth for a month or two

oh didnt read the titile right  to be clear i dont have adhd soo not the same mi but just thought i would say just cuz there is a simularity is doesnt have to be all about teh crazy

Edited by pick377

I don't know what I'd do without them! We're sounding boards/support for each other. It's nice to have ppl to talk to that understand.

This. 

Sometimes I feel like I can be my most authentic self around my friends who "get it" and have similar struggles.  There's no hiding and no shame.  Plus we have a lot of laughs and good stories to swap about The Crazy!  ;)

*edited typing errors

Edited by lifequake

Hmm, most of my friends in the past seemed to pass as "normal" though one in particular comes to mind who had schizophrenia and outed me for having possible BP (to me and some close confidantes who were trustworthy) but overall I can't say I have really even thought about having friends with an MI - most probably haven't, but then again, no-one mostly talked about it (except a girl I went to high school with).  I am isolated also now but have met a couple of kindred spirits - not that they necessarily have an MI but they are genuine, caring people and know what it is to have some sort of hardship or suffering so they are easy to talk to and relate to.  I also have met one or two mums (like me) who have kids with autism spectrum disorder (like my son) who "get it" and also, one of them can trace that and MIs in her family so she is really cool.  Any time I have contact with a caring, genuine person is a blessing to me.  Those I count as true friends, mental illness or not.

My best friend is bipolar, but that is not how we met. I also had a lot of co-workers with bipolar at the doggie daycare, some of whom I am still in contact with through Facebook. I went to high school with a couple of women who are bipolar, but while we are "friends" on Facebook, I rarely talk to them.

I went to school with one of my friends who is also schizoaffective and I miss her. She lives like 12 hours from here and, like me, has a busy life. I wish I could meet more people like me in real life. I get along with non-MI folk just fine but I have to hide a lot of my behaviors when I am having an episode.

Edited by wj74

I have several friends that have MI. One has the same exact diagnosis as I do, schizoaffective bipolar type. 2 others have schizophrenia, one has autism like I do and I can't remember the rest. I mainly get along with people that have a mental disorder. Normal people don't understand me. People who are "crazy" are attracted to me and we get along much more. All of them are very open about their MI like I am. I only trust them because they are going through the same stigma as I am and normal people think we are wild animals like on the news. No we are NOT wild animals. We are HUMAN like anyone else. But there are around 40 (I think) murders in the US everyday. The news will just focus on the ones that are caused by someone with mental illness. The other murders are barely mentioned unless its local. I HATE that. Every time a mass shooting happens, I am afraid that its caused by someone with mental illness and then the stigma grows with each one. 

I don't have a lot of friends in real life, but the one's that I am  friends with is because we have kids involved in the same sport or they go to the same school.  I think one of my friends is on ADD meds, but that is it.  So I try and not talk about myself when we get together.  Gloss over the highlights and get off of me FAST! Most know I take meds.  Who knows what they think of it... who cares.  When I do get together with friends, it is over dinner, or knitting or a sporting event or a concert.

For me, the strongest bonds have been with those adults that are already parents.  There is so much to relate to when you have kids.  Probably because they require so much work and we are able to learn from each other.

It would be nice to have friends who understood what it is like to have Bipolar Disorder, but then again every day I also think it would be so nice for my married friends to understand what it is like to be divorced and doing everything on my own.  The latter is probably more important to me than the MI.

Edited by Frenetic47

I have a few best friends with minimal experiences of mental ill health, but my partner, his mother, my brother, my mother, my colleague, 50% of my clients, we all have mental ill health. Roughly a quarter of the population is suffering at any given time, so we're likely all a lot more surrounded by it than we know.

No one in real life. No one I know has been diagnosed with anything and they all seem normal and are very uncomfortable if I talk about things related to MI that seem pretty casual to me. Closest person that fits the bill is my twin sister who, I PERSONALLY believe most definitely has anxiety and depression, but she won't go to a doctor (no money). 

I wish I had people around me that kinda understood, that might be nice.

So I'm here, at CB. I need this place, ha ha.

So I try and not talk about myself when we get together.  Gloss over the highlights and get off of me FAST!

This is what I do when I am with anyone ... MI or not.  I don't like talking about myself and what I do during the day etc. especially to people without MI who just don't "get it."