CrazyBoards.org

So why are schizophrenics not capable of working?

I know that 80% of them can not hold a job or go to school. My reason is simple, paranoia that doesnt go away with medication. But from what I understand, for most people medication takes away maybe 90% of their paranoia, for me only 60-70%. So why are those people not capable of holding a job? Are you capable of holding a job and why/why not?

Some people with schizophrenia do work. I find that relates to the options they have for work. The kind of plentiful, unqualified work around (retail, call centre) is often fast paced, high stress, irregular scheduled work, it does make people ill.

That said, many people find a skill they can use in a supportive workplace. Some people find jobs they can have greater control over to work around episodes, self employment, consultancy, part time work, job shares etc.

I can't work in part because of the stress ... causes the hallucinations to start more than they are now,  also tiredness will bring them on too.  Can't concentrate either.

This.

I had a streak of luck being a crossing guard at a school crossing, easy, low hours. But ultimately "Smile + shave and shower now and then" became all too much without someone standing next to me reminding me that I actually wasn't doing that [who knew?]

Stress makes my symptoms return, My meds help a lot but they make me extremely tired, I also have lots of anxiety that makes it hard to make decisions and even get out of the house, my short term memory is shot, I have trouble doing things in sequential order and jump from one thing to the next.  I tried working and couldn't keep up with the workload.

And, I'm doing very well.

Interesting question, I've pondered the same thing but for a different reason. I ask myself why can't I work. The main reason is paranoia and the development of delusions that send me spiraling into a very dark place. From what I've experienced, meds do help with it a lot, though I have prominent negative symptoms and the meds seem to make them worse. The biggest problem with negatives is avolition, when bad enough I'm basically stuck in bed or on the couch; I'll want to get up, but there's just no connection between what I want/need to do and my actions. Also, lack of focus/memory make things more difficult too.

Though I like to think that I can't work right now, I have no doubt that I will earn some kind of a paycheck in the future. I just have to identify my obstacles and overcome them one step at a time.

I do not have psychosis often, and am not schizophrenic.  But my psychosis is very irregular... occurs maybe once every year and a half... and when it does it is completely debilitating.  I've had to drop out of school temporarily and would have to do the same if I had an episode while working most likely, unless my employer were extremely understanding.

I asked my husband since he has better insight into this.

He said that the confusion is rough.  I start out well but decompensate quickly due to stress and anxiety.  I was on SSDI until 2011 (about 10 years) and then I fucked up the paperwork and now my husband supports me completely.  We are very lucky he makes enough.

He's not averse to my future employment should I show an ability to either handle the stress or find a job that has little of both.

I do not have psychosis often, and am not schizophrenic.  But my psychosis is very irregular... occurs maybe once every year and a half... and when it does it is completely debilitating.  I've had to drop out of school temporarily and would have to do the same if I had an episode while working most likely, unless my employer were extremely understanding.

I think that I have this much right...

If you are a regular, benefited employee working where there are more than 50 employees, you are covered by the ADA which includes medical leaves of absence for physical or mental health reasons. Your doctor does not need to say why, just that you are unable to work. Your employer has to give you the time off, usually unpaid if you don't have enough sick or vacation time. I'm not an expert in this, but it may help you work once you finish school. I'd learn more.

i'm doing everything i can just to stay out of the hospital for the rest of this year

there's no way i can take the stress without cracking

my neighbor's already back

i hope to volunteer again

i used to work, even after initial diagnosis

i've just decompensate really quickly and then all hell breaks loose

I mainly can't work because of my sensitivity to stress. I become psychotic easily if I experience too much stress. Negative symptoms are another barrier that prevents me from working. It's hard for me to muster up the motivation to complete tasks that would be necessary at a job. With that said, I might be able to work a part-time job if I had schizophrenia but wasn't on the autism spectrum. A lot of my issues with employment are related to my autism rather than my schizophrenia.

My psychotic symptoms get out of control with too much stress, and for me a lot of it too is the negative symptoms... that gets in the way a lot even when my positive symptoms aren't as active.  Also, my thought disorganization is pretty bad and that doesn't suit most work environments very well for obvious reasons. 

i'm doing everything i can just to stay out of the hospital for the rest of this year

there's no way i can take the stress without cracking

^ This.  I'm still trying to get stabilized to the point where I can just live at home without having to go to the hospital every few months... 

Edited by Schizophrenic_Sanity

Working and the stress that it brings to me drive me batty. I end up hospitalized and losing the job. Believe me I have tried and tried. It is not a choice, that I choose not to work. It is that or my sanity and being in a long term hospital again.

I do hope for the best though. Maybe someday I will find the right meds that help me out enough so that I can at least work part time. I hope so.

If such a great percentage is we can't hold a job, then why is the social security success rate so low for us. I just gave up on looking for work, very discouraging.  Just content with going about everyday life.  

Probably because we have trouble with the paperwork.  I was on disability until one year they sent me some paperwork.  It was during a rough time and I didn't complete it.  I don't get disability any more and rely solely on my husband.  I assume it's similar for others?

I applied for disability when I was really ill (delusional, paranoid etc) and was denied.  I think I didn't fill out the forms right.  I re-applied later when I was doing better and was accepted. My pdoc said he can write that the patient is too psychotic to fill out the forms if needed.

Probably because we have trouble with the paperwork.  I was on disability until one year they sent me some paperwork.  It was during a rough time and I didn't complete it.  I don't get disability any more and rely solely on my husband.  I assume it's similar for others?

MrTasty ... can you reapply?

MrTasty ... can you reapply?

I probabluy could but we're doing ok.  Maybe if we weren't doing ok I would?  I don't know.

Confusion. Sometimes I get so out of it that I can't even answer simple questions, and I don't know where I am.

Hallucinations are usually disturbing but if I'm in a good headspace otherwise I can usually ignore them.

Anxiety. Not only do I have anxiety attacks on a regular basis, but being in a stressful environment makes it much worse, and when I have anxiety, psychotic symptoms flare up, no exceptions.

Paranoia. When I'm refusing to talk to people, always watching my back, harboring weapons to protect myself in case "they" come after me... it doesn't really fly. I usually end up in the hospital.

I've gone through so many meds. They work ok for a month or two, then stop. I might be med resistant. Symptoms always come back. I have them almost every day. It really is debilitating.