CrazyBoards.org

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was 12 when I experienced my first major depressive episode. It wasn't treated as such, but I would just come home from school and lay on the floor in the dark of my room. I wouldn't sleep I would just let the world pass by me. I remember that my mom did nothing except ask me if I was on drugs.

I was 12 when I experienced my first major depressive episode. It wasn't treated as such, but I would just come home from school and lay on the floor in the dark of my room. I wouldn't sleep I would just let the world pass by me. I remember that my mom did nothing except ask me if I was on drugs.

or tell me I was lazy and sleeping too much. Like you, I wasn't sleeping. I was assessing ways to kill myself, which I ultimately swore I'd never try.

Welcome to CB!

I was depressed as a child but it was never caught because of a strict environment.  I remember being in elementary school and crying by myself because I had to leave some of my stuffed animals and dolls at home ... it was way more than the regular "upset" a kid might be to leave something.  I was genuinely very sad, as if I was leaving behind people I'd never see again.  It didn't get diagnosed though until 1991, 19 years old.

I think my first episode was when I was 13, coming up to 14. (I can't remember well enough to say for sure about before then.) I wasn't diagnosed at the time but with hindsight it's quite clear that's what it was. I was much more tired than usual, found everything irritating, cried a lot and was consumed with thoughts about how I was a horrible person.

I don't know. Kinda got really bad at around 12, I'd say. But honestly, I don't ever remember being a happy child at all. By any stretch of the imagination. If I ever recall something happy, I'm really surprised. And the environment wasn't bad enough at all for this to be the case. So. . . I've always been pretty sad/anxious. 

First "true" depressive episode was when i was 15-16 yrs old, My Jr. year of high school.  I struggled with academics, when I was generally an excellent student. I flirted with bulimia, because I felt fat compared to many of the girls on my gymnastic team. And even when I stopped trying to throw up, I still did.

But someone recently told me that slapping myself on my face and head, plus biting my fore-arms really hard, until it caused teeth-shaped bruises, are a kind of self-harm. I started doing that when I was about 10. I had a horrible year at school, too. Lots and lots of crying. But I really don't think it rose to the level of a depressive episode.

Hello Mayo-

Welcome to Crazy Boards.  I am new to the site this month.  You'll find understanding and good information here.

I was 10 when my Mom realized I had  "mood-swings" with lots of periods of dark moods and low energy.  Now it's called BiPolar II of course.  Had to quit college at 20.  Have had good and not so good times since.  A routine and plenty of sleep help a lot.  

Hope you find the right treatments and life is not such a struggle for you.

First depressive episode was in 7th grade so 11 for me. But I had been picking at my skin (dermatiliamania) since 5th grade of 98/99. I also had poor social skills becuse I was in the self contained class room so I never had the chance to learn anything. Had bouts through high school, then college I had almost a complete meltdown but got it together, somehow. Then I beleive a hypomania that summer 19 and was ok untill I hit 23ish lots of trama from famlily and pussing to hard in school. I was suisidle with a plan at 23 and was close to acting. Got BPII/NOS in the summer of 2012. Age 23 for full dx

early onset dysthymia,

so five,

possibly six.

however,

given the fact that it was the mid-seventies,

no one had any idea what my problem was...

much less me.

I think the consensus was that I was just a weird kid.

Drake, I had never heard of early onset dysthymia before, and I was able to scan a few articles quickly. Thanks for introducing it to me, even though I am sure you would prefer not be in a position to do so.

"Drake, I had never heard of early onset dysthymia before, and I was able to scan a few articles quickly. Thanks for introducing it to me, even though I am sure you would prefer not be in a position to do so."

actually,

if it helps you in the least bit,

no problem...

it's nice to be useful on occasion.

one of the few things i did get out of treatment was a correct diagnosis...

and it only took them fifteen years to figure it out.

once i received the diagnosis,

my whole life sort of made sense...

i sat down and mapped out all of my major depressive periods,

(which added up to twenty-five percent of my life)

and i began to recognize patterns and triggers.

i'm still a miserable bastard,

but at least now i know why!

Edited by Drake

I started to have depression around the age of 11, which was in the first few months of 7th grade. However I had severe social anxiety (Selective Mutism specifically) for about 8 years at that point. So between nature & nurture at that age I was doomed.

However I did not have actual Major Depression until I was about 14; around the same time I isolated myself because of worsened-severe social anxiety. A couple years later at age 18 I had my first hypomanic episode, which was when I was diagnosed as Bipolar.