CrazyBoards.org

Does longlasting depression need a name?

Hey to all,

It's said that dysthymia is dealt with at the same rate as depression. I've been searching through a bunch of posts and it seems early onset is popular.

Those who have longlasting depression or dysthymic symptoms, do you feel like you need a diagnosis for dysthymia? Or do you just run with it?

I don't intend to really do anything like self-medicate without a proper Dx, it's more for my piece of mind. I'm currently on Wellbutrin for a bout of depression and my family doctor wants to wait. I suppose I'm impatient but a monumental part of my validation comes from my family I suppose and they constantly imply that I want to claim a mental illness to explain my hopelessness, lack of motivation and 'willingness to stay depressed'. Granted there's a dark looming terror of getting better blah blah blah but I feel a Dx would give me something tangible.

Any takers?

Thanks!

Ditto, and just to let you know, I know exactly what you are saying - about family and all.  People say the stupidist things and they don't make you feel better, they just make you feel more depressed and like you are just "playing on it".  Well, shit to them, I say and we know better! As if you want to be depressed?! Hell, I don't.  I don't know what it would be like to lead a normal life, is that something people imagine we would aim for? They must be crazier than we are!

Also, I agree with the above comment, you need to see a pdoc.  I know it can be a hassle and take time, but in the end I think you do have something that you can then "work with".  I'm with you in trying to attain the "tangible" - albeit a label or more than one, but you can get help with those.  Plus, it would most likely help if you got some therapy either by said pdoc or by a counsellor or psychologist or therapist.  It might help you tackle those issues you have that are really getting to you, e.g. your family's response to your illness.

Edited by kristenk

Enrichie -

Major Depressive Disorder and Dysthymia are not mutually exclusive - in fact, when you have them together, they are often referred to as "Double Depression".  I've been a Double-Depressive for decades, with a low-grade gloom that hangs over me like a soggy cloud until it suddenly starts pouring when I get (yet another) bout of MDD.  Let me echo what others here have said, that you absolutely need a referral to the specialized care of a psychiatrist to determine if this is what you're dealing with.  MDD and Dysthymia do not, as a rule, respond the same way to a given treatment, and you will need a psychiatrist's experience to find the right mix of meds to tackle this from both ends.

I also strongly encourage you to seek out a psychologist for therapy, if you don't already have one.  You need to bolster your cognitive defenses against those times when your depressive symptoms try to foist irrational thoughts onto you as though they ought to make sense.  Strong cognitive skills learned from much therapy have kept me going through some rough times with Double-D.

Cerberus

I think the others have given you excellent advice, and I will repeat what they have said:  see a psychiatrist for your meds, and get a referral from him/her to see a therapist.  You will need therapy to deal with your family.

You are ill and you need treatment.  Your family can go pound sand if they think you are lazy or doing this on purpose.

olga

When I first started to get sick, my family didn't understand what was going on at all.   They just expected me to snap out of it! Like it was some sort of majic switch.  Now years later after they've seen me go through a whole lot of brief psychotic reactions and had to be hospitalized, and have had to deal with other people as well with mental issues, they are beginning to understand that it's not something we can help.  My mom is still very much against me taking any sort of medication.  Crazy lady! I've come to the conclusion that she's crazy and not me. She's very irrational and uneducated and doesn't even care to listen ... so I've given up trying to get through to her about my mental illness.  

People don't understand what they don't know.

I hope you find some comfort here with us.  and yes go see a pdoc and get some sort of help to help you deal with your family.  i'd threaten to bring them with me to therapy lol. sounds like they need to hear it from a professional!!! about what you are dealing with. 

Edited by grasshopper

Thanks for your stories, guys! Yes grasshopper, I already do :)

Ditto, and just to let you know, I know exactly what you are saying - about family and all.  People say the stupidist things and they don't make you feel better, they just make you feel more depressed and like you are just "playing on it".  Well, shit to them, I say and we know better! As if you want to be depressed?! Hell, I don't.  I don't know what it would be like to lead a normal life, is that something people imagine we would aim for? They must be crazier than we are!

Also, I agree with the above comment, you need to see a pdoc.  I know it can be a hassle and take time, but in the end I think you do have something that you can then "work with".  I'm with you in trying to attain the "tangible" - albeit a label or more than one, but you can get help with those.  Plus, it would most likely help if you got some therapy either by said pdoc or by a counsellor or psychologist or therapist.  It might help you tackle those issues you have that are really getting to you, e.g. your family's response to your illness.

I used to play into it too! No wonder why I always felt so awkward about the whole thing. Everytime I find myself on topic about everything with my sister, she seems to think I shouldn't want a diagnosis because I act like it's a be all end all, and that diagnoses are only an outline for life. My family is in rough denial about our collective mental health.

I'm currently seeing a crisis counsellor but I don't have access to a pdoc or tdoc. My mother said I could look for one and she would help with aid but you really never know with her. I will actively look for one though, what other choice do I have?

Olga - I needed to hear that. I think I was treading the line between believing I could stick it out and believing my own self.

I hope you are all doing well and thank you!

• 1 month later...

Have been living with Dysthymia for over 40 years with a few bouts of Double Depression thrown in.

Until they had a formal name for this I use to call it functional depression ( from having a Dad who was a functional alcoholic) because it has never been completely debilitating (except on an emotional level). I've been in and out of psychotherapy for 40 years and find that it is an enormous benefit. Since most people look at you and see that you have a decent life there is a total lack of understanding that those of us with this disorder have NO control over it and 'just thinking good thoughts' does not make it go away. I got so discouraged from my friends attempts to help ( which did nothing more than make me feel worse), that I began to wear a mask of happy all the time. I refer to it as putting on my happy suit in the morning, where I step into my super hero costume, zip it up and put a smile on my face.  It's exhausting !!!!!!! I'm not recommending that anyone do this, just explaining how I have coped. Since I live alone, am an only child and without partner the few friends I have are a priceless gift and I don't want to risk losing them by being my depressed self around them. Every now and then when it gets really bad I'll complain but not often. Who wants to be around a sad sack (who from the outside looks like everything should be fine).

After all that - I agree with the previous statememts.