CrazyBoards.org

My hands are going numb while sleeping

Okay for about four months my hands have been going numb. I know that sleeping on them the wrong way but it is any position. My left leg half of it falls asleep when I sleep on my back. The hand thing is getting to me since it is now causing alot of prickly sharp pain in the middle of my hand....I am on gabapentin and that doesn't make no difference. So I don't know if it's something worng with my muscles or I'm just having a phase.

My hands were going numb while I slept, too. I saw a doc about it and he said it was one of the early signs of carpal tunnel. Now I wear braces and I don't have that problem any more. I just wish the braces looked a bit more fashionable.

I was going to suggest the possibility of carpal tunnel syndrome, also.  This is something to discuss with your GP.  If it is carpal tunnel syndrome, you can get fitted with braces that you wear at night and they work because they keep your wrists straight and it keeps the tunnel open.  I had it and the braces cleared it right up.  I only have to wear them now when it kicks up, which isn't often.

olga

That's how my carpal tunnel started, numb and tingling hands. I got the braces and the anti-inflammatories but they didn't help and I had to have the surgery on both hands. This did however clear it right up. No problems since. There is a test to see if it is carpal tunnel syndrome - hold your elbows up and hold the backs of your hands to each other. Hold like that for a minute or two. If your thumb and 1st 2 fingers and half of the third go numb, that is indicative of carpal tunnel syndrome.