CrazyBoards.org

content of voices and delusions in schizophrenia, two articles

i'm troubled and so can't formulate much reply just now. but i've recently read an article: http://www.nytimes.c...eads.html?_r=1

and the subject area is one that as a diagnosed paranoid schizophrenic ...violence is literally one of the first questions most people ask me about. it's also too often synonymous in the media and

fck, yeah...my goddamned neighbor is sitting here and i am unwell and so i'm prolly not best equiped to discuss, but a friend found this interesting to read and though i have some serious issues with it, i can't explain them all right now but do find the interplay between culture and content interesting.

the other article, on delusion content, was sent to me by that same friend who works really hard to understand something he doesn't have...and i appreciate it beyond words. it's found here: http://www.aeonmagazine.com/altered-states/how-reality-caught-up-with-paranoid-delusions/

cheers for reading. x

Edited by mellifluous

I read the first article and have more of the thoughts like the people in India do.  Mine aren't/weren't violent like those mentioned.  It was more of doing things like (whatever-- anything, but not violent things; similar things mentioned in the article) on cue or else they would somehow hurt me. 

In the second article, I don't have the concentration at the moment to read it all, but just reading the title, "The Reality Show ... Schizophrenic used to see demons and spirits.  Now they talk about actors and hidden cameras -- and make a lot of sense,"  I can so relate to the hidden cameras everywhere and many people involved in my "life."  To this day I am sometimes leery and wonder if there "are" cameras in places still.

Thanks for the links

The first article I think described command hallucinations as more common than they are.  My hallucinations suggested ideas but  they didn't order me to do things.,  I haven't had violent hallucinations.

I couldn't read the whole second article but I did feel like I was in the Truman show.  That I was being watched and filmed for entertainment.  There was even product placement.  It makes sense to me that modern technology would be part of delusions.  I kept trying to make sense of things and and figure out how things were happening and I believed it involved things I know about like hidden cameras.  

I also thought that people were transmitting signals outside of people's ears that affected what they said.  I don't think anything like that exists, but it was a way to understand. I thought I had a tracking device implanted so they would know where I was and that microwaves and cell phones would interfere with the device and harm me.

maybe command hallucinations are more common in paranoid schizophrenia? that wouldn't entirely surprise me. i have them near constantly off meds. not all are necessarily "violent", but still. it took a lot of ECT to stop me from having them even with meds. the silence is now deafening though. (NB: having them and obeying them are very different things though. well, i mean, i do follow orders, but i've not received any to injure others so maybe moot point on the personal front...just noting that they're not entirely UNcommon amongst those i've known and i've seen stats i can't recall...and maybe it's a difference of diagnostic flavour?)

anyway, most of my "self directed" things are to attempt to remove devices, wires...with only one exception. though that was a significant exception i suppose. i still have demons probe me from time to time, so it's not an exact match...but it's interesting to see the replies here and how diagnosis aligns or doesn't.

i can well imagine that a lot of the content is going to resonate more with some diagnoses than others...or maybe more fully with some than others...i don't know.

Edited by mellifluous

That makes sense that command hallucinations may be more common in schizophrenia

I don't know how reliable this source is:

Command Auditory Hallucinations:  A command hallucination is when a voice tells an individual to carry out a specific act(s). A person experiencing this kind of hallucination frequently feels under a powerful obligation to carry out such actions. The results are often devastating. Approximately 30% of schizophrenics have command hallucinations in which they feel they must do what the voice tells them to do.

http://www.officer.com/article/10426693/hallucinations-the-ultimate-betrayal-of-the-mind?page=2

That makes sense that command hallucinations may be more common in schizophrenia

I don't know how reliable this source is:

Command Auditory Hallucinations:  A command hallucination is when a voice tells an individual to carry out a specific act(s). A person experiencing this kind of hallucination frequently feels under a powerful obligation to carry out such actions. The results are often devastating. Approximately 30% of schizophrenics have command hallucinations in which they feel they must do what the voice tells them to do.

http://www.officer.com/article/10426693/hallucinations-the-ultimate-betrayal-of-the-mind?page=2

i've heard higher numbers. here's one study: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7559372

and another: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3812793

i would also note that it's hard to say that the numbers aren't much higher.

when you're being told not to admit something

especially if you know there will be

or it's indicated that there might be

consequences

you often don't

i mean, everything about your experience tells you not to

and i don't just mean consequences dictated by the voices

but i assure you as soon as "command hallucinations" go into your chart

you're treated differently by a noteable percentage of people (in my experience)

medical professionals

and others

thank you, those are better sources, too.  

I know you what you mean about not telling.  I didn't talk about hallucinations (auditory or visual) because I thought other people were clueless and would dismiss me as "crazy" or were in on it and already knew.  I had kind voices for the most part of people I know and my thought now is that maybe they left because I started talking about them.  I'm not sure what I would do (tell or not) if they came back. But, like I said, my hallucinations haven't been violent. I think it may be the mood component of my dx, maybe my hallucinations are more pleasant when I'm manic although I've had them when my mood was neutral.

I thought I had a tracking device implanted so they would know where I was and that microwaves and cell phones would interfere with the device and harm me.

Same with me.  I had this small growth on my skin that looked like something was under it but had healed over (IRL), and i though someone implanted a tracking device in it, and I eventually got it removed.