CrazyBoards.org

Bipolar and Antidepressants.

So as of recently I was diagnosed with bp2. The psych I'm seeing now is really good and is cleaning up the mess of a really bad psych I had in the past. Right now we are putting me on Abilify and lamictal, and tapering me off pristiq and trazodone, because pdoc thinks those two have been making me worse all along, because she explained that some ADs actually bring on mania. Question is, I'm a little worried that I'm going to get depressed again going off of those, do your mood stabilizers/anti psychotics take care of your depression?

What Lamictal is good at in terms of combating the depression is evening out my mood. For me, it's the downward spiral that's especially dangerous. I start ruminating on things and get myself more and more depressed. Lamictal helps with the rumination - I can choose to think of something else, whereas without it (even with an SSRI), my thoughts get stuck and I end up sucked into the black hole.

I take Lexapro for obsessiveness.. Some Ad's make me manic, Cymbalta was particularly bad, so were Effexor and Luvox (at the high dose I needed, I needed to be peeled off the ceiling). 

Lamictal is amazing for depression, and Abilify is also good for depression. Lamictal sucks to titrate up, but you'll know when you've hit the target dose. Don't give up on it. I got a rash (not sure if it was SJS or not, but the doctors went on the side of caution) from it, or I'd still be on it. Abilify is also good for depression. 

I'm BP2 as well with extreme anxiety, and take abilify for the mood swings and depression, trazodone 50 mg for sleep, and xanax for anxiety. my pdoc swears abilify is a mood stabilizer. there are certain days i question that, but i've triedall the true mood stabilizers and couldn't tolerate them. YMMV. good luck!!

Lamictal and Abilify are stabilizers that, for many with bipolar, are better antidepressants than actual antidepressants. This holds for BPI, BPII, BPNOS and SZA.

There are two schools of thought on taking antidepressants. Both agree that without stabilizers, ADs are bad for those with bipolar - either don't work well if at all or cause mania. One school of thought believes that even with stabilizers, ADs can still destabilize or have little benefit. The other believes that with stabilizers, ADs can have a positive role.

Personally, I think it depends on the person. My pdoc is anti-AD. I have not been on one since treated. We've managed all depression with stabilizers pretty successfully. I'm happy with that. If I ever fall into a bad depression, though, I'd probably give one a go as a last ditch effort.

Lamictal is really helpful, I'm back up to 300 mg and the nasty anxiety I had going is soooo much better. Abilify was a great AAP for me. Made me feel so normal.

I take Wellbutrin but when we added Effexor, I ended up in the hospital. Waaaaay up there! I hate to see what happens if Wellbutrin stops working, yikes.

I was taken off Effexor because my pdoc thought it was making me rapid-cycle. But I am currently on Wellbutrin (the AD least likely to cause mania) and trazodone, blalanced with Lamictal and Geodon. I'd be nervous about being on no ADs at all.

I'm reading these posts & other stuff on the internet about antidepressants & I think I'm taking meds that should not be mixed together. I'm almost embarrassed to list them here because I don't see anyone else on here with something similar. (I've had numerous doctors within the past year & am certain at least my current Dr either does not give a crap our doesn't know what she's doing.) Anyway I take depakote & celexa. Doesn't celexa need to be taken with a mood stabilizer? Is depakote a mood stabilizer? Sorry for so many questions. I'm in a really bad spot right now & have been looking up info online but I can't even remember the basics of what I've read. I just posted in another thread about how I've been so sick with vomiting. It's so awful I can't even watch my kids all day. (my mom is "forced" to help but the whole time she's telling me to get it together & watch my own kids) Everything is bad right now.

My pdoc is also not in favor of giving AD for depression because I got manic on Prozac.  I have taken Trazadone for many years for sleep. The dose is only 200mg. When I get depressed he adds Zoloft. It has worked for years. I take it for about 8-9 months and then I go off of it. I also take Lamictal which I consider a miracle drug.

I'm reading these posts & other stuff on the internet about antidepressants & I think I'm taking meds that should not be mixed together. I'm almost embarrassed to list them here because I don't see anyone else on here with something similar. (I've had numerous doctors within the past year & am certain at least my current Dr either does not give a crap our doesn't know what she's doing.) Anyway I take depakote & celexa. Doesn't celexa need to be taken with a mood stabilizer? Is depakote a mood stabilizer? Sorry for so many questions. I'm in a really bad spot right now & have been looking up info online but I can't even remember the basics of what I've read. I just posted in another thread about how I've been so sick with vomiting. It's so awful I can't even watch my kids all day. (my mom is "forced" to help but the whole time she's telling me to get it together & watch my own kids) Everything is bad right now.

Hi Sacrelicious. Depakote is indeed a mood stabilizer. Taking it with Celexa isn't strange at all. I wouldn't worry about it. I'll have a look for your other thread. It sounds like you're having a wretched time with the vomiting. Hope it clears up soon.

Hi Sacrelicious. Depakote is indeed a mood stabilizer. Taking it with Celexa isn't strange at all. I wouldn't worry about it. I'll have a look for your other thread. It sounds like you're having a wretched time with the vomiting. Hope it clears up soon.

Thanks for your concern. I've just been having an awful time with sickness but also my moods have been going back and forth like never before. I've always been more on the depressed side of things but lately it's been about every 2-3 weeks i get all crazy high and burn out really fast with not being able to sleep for several days. I don't have any meds right now for sleeplessness but I wish I did. I've been prescribed xanax in the past but since moving here (to SC-not liking it) no doctor I've seen has wanted to prescribe anything of the sort. They act like I'm some addict looking for some pills to get high on. It's just hell being unable to sleep and I start hallucinating really fast when that happens. I'm all over the place lately. A total mess.

I currently take prozac 40mg without any problems. However I became manic on a high dose of both Effexor and Lexapro. Because I'm currently taking a few mood stabilisers the prozac doesn't cause me any problems (so far). But that's just my experience.....

I've been prescribed xanax in the past but since moving here (to SC-not liking it) no doctor I've seen has wanted to prescribe anything of the sort. They act like I'm some addict looking for some pills to get high on. It's just hell being unable to sleep and I start hallucinating really fast when that happens.

sacrelicious, are you seeing a psychiatrist, or just regular doctors?

I don't want to offend anyone, but I'd like to ask sacrelicious to start their own thread. You'll get more replies, and it won't be interfering with OP's questions.

Many people that have bipolar disorder have AD induced mania. I've had it from SNRI's and high doses of Luvox in the past. AD's can also cause irritability and insomnia in those with bipolar, often the opposite effect of those with depressive disorders.

Abilify is great for depression, and Lamictal has been almost an industry standard for a long time, since it came out. Titrating up to the right dose can suck, but it goes away. You might have a rocky time while adjusting, but those are two good meds, especially if you're worried about depression. You'll probably find yourself calmer and possibly less anxious. Just give them time to work.

So as of recently I was diagnosed with bp2. The psych I'm seeing now is really good and is cleaning up the mess of a really bad psych I had in the past. Right now we are putting me on Abilify and lamictal, and tapering me off pristiq and trazodone, because pdoc thinks those two have been making me worse all along, because she explained that some ADs actually bring on mania. Question is, I'm a little worried that I'm going to get depressed again going off of those, do your mood stabilizers/anti psychotics take care of your depression?

I'm a recent BPII as well - and I was pretty skeptical about being not being on an AD because I was depressed - they'd tried Prozac and Zoloft on me - those both sent me through the roof!  I told the group therapy dude that I wanted to rip some chick's face off because she was annoying the shit out of me and I couldn't shut up  - perhaps an inappropriate response, no?  :blush:  

Mood stabilizers have changed my life for the better.  I don't know which you'll end up on or how long it will take to find the right one(s), but I'm glad I trusted in my doc and stuck with it.  :nerdy:

Earlier this year I was put on an anti depressant. I took it with Abilify. This is while I was in the hospital for a psychotic break back in April. It caused mania in me. Didn't sleep much. Someone else had mania at the hospital and when we would get up at 2 AM we accidentally woke up everyone in the ward. I would talk quickly and constantly changing the subjects. I was dancing all over the place. I literally couldn't control myself. Once I was taken off these meds, my mania calmed down. Now I am on Latuda and it helps. I am not on an anti depressant anymore. I also take Trileptal for the mood stabilizer.