CrazyBoards.org

Outpatient

wanza

My therapist says It's time for me to see someone. I'm not ready for that. I don't believe outpatient will actually help me. I have major issues but at the same time it's not affecting my health. Physically everything is fine, mentally not so much. I honestly don't know what to do. Help? Thanks.

OP isn't just for the physical health aspects. They treat primarily the mental health parts, which are the parts that you've admitted could use some work. OP is basically admitting that the physical parts don't need such intensive care that you require IP.

The mental piece of an eating disorder can be so debilitating.  Treatment isn't just about the physical.

In the past, I have had clinicians ask me what percentage of my thoughts are devoted or related to my eating disorder-- including things like food, weight, and body image, and exercise.  I think that is a valuable question to ask yourself.  If your thoughts are being dominated by ED-related stuff, that takes away from other aspects of your life. 

Entering into any new kind of treatment is scary and can bring up a lot of uncertainty about the possibility of ever recovering.  What if you committed to a trial period of OP treatment?