CrazyBoards.org

(no) Insurance and Meds crisis

This is too long of a story but our BP daughter lost her health insurance and we had to reapply.  So far all I've seen are letters telling me how long they can stretch out the process and that the good plan she was on won't probably be available. 

So - short question.  Can anyone suggest a way to (legal) obtain Abilify?   I've looked around and they have that free starter pack but she has been on it so I don't think that counts.  Is there SOME uninsured program hidden somewhere?   They always seem to put this stuff in obscure places.

THANK YOU for any help.

i don't know what the rules are in the USA - but my pharmacist knows me well, and i get all my repeats there - so they've been known to give me a small amount of emergency pills until i can see a doc.
i googled and found this... helpful? https://www.abilifyassistprogram.com/

i'd just be making phonecalls to mental health lines, community mental health etc and asking for their advice.

good luck.

One option is to buy it online. It is legal, as long as you hold a prescription. Abilify is generic in some places so it can be quite affordable. Around $30/month IIRC

I was looking into into it because here in Australia the government won't pay for Abilify unless you have schizophrenia and I wanted to know if it was still an option for me.

Edit: I had a look at the site I remember and it is around $22-77/mo, depending on dosage.

Edited by mcjimjam

I *think* (hope, pray) that starting in less than a week you can get her health insurance.  Obama said today that to all of us 45 million mentally ill, we can no longer be denied coverage beginning October 1.  Which is MOTHER EFFING TUESDAY!!!!!  (Can you tell I'm just a little excited?!)  I was a SAHM 3 months ago and my husband got laid off out of the clear blue sky and we are paying through the nose for a COBRA plan because I got denied everywhere else.  So I was literally just sitting down to come here and see if anyone knows the deal.  I am more than happy to come here and pass on any info should I find some.  I pray I am correct, and that she can hang on with other meds until she gets coverage again and a pdoc to rx Abilify.

See, that's what I understood, too, but I worked all day and my husband swears up and down that in his speech today Obama said that beginning October 1st we cannot be denied coverage.  Now, that could still mean that sure, we'll get accepted 10/1 but there will be some kind of "holding pen" so that we can't actually use the stupid coverage until 1/1/14, which is what I'm trying to research.

I was on abilify with no drug coverage.  My pdoc got me on their patient assistance program and I got my meds for free.  In the US, Abilify is VERY expensive without insurance, like $500+ a month. 

Here is the link to the Abilify patient assistance program:

https://www.abilifyassistprogram.com/for-uninsured-patients.aspx

No need to go without necessary meds!