CrazyBoards.org

Relocation Depression? When the hell will it go away?

Hi, I am very, very new to this site. I actually found it while googling depression. Anyway though, I can not get out of the funk I am in. I very recently moved to Wyoming to live with my husband -_- . I am a city girl from the east coast. Before this move we both traveled to see one another. I was dreading moving to a town with a population of 10,000, and surrounding towns being 2 hours away. But, I sucked it up and finally moved. I really didn't have much going for me back home either. And, I missed him, so I took the jump. As soon as I got here though I got very ill. I was so sick I was actually hospitalized. As soon as I got out of the hospital I had this immediate feeling of being stranded. I found a job almost immediately, but that didn't help at all. 

I also now feel like a visitor in "my own home", Like, I know this is our home, but it really doesn't feel like it. My husband can also kinda be an ass lately. He's been putting me down alot. And, I have absolutely no friends here. I am not used to that at all. All night tonight I just cried, and wanted my husband to get away from me. And, I had no problem telling him this. I have been depressed sporadically throughout my life. But, nothing like this. I have never felt so sad, alone, and stuck in my life. I am also being very mean to my husband. And, he really is a good guy. I'm just super sensitive right now.  He even got me a puppy to keep me company. It just didn't help at all.

Everyday I feel like this is getting worse, and I am feeling more and more sad. I know I need to see a therapist but I'm having doubts it will help at all. I am also getting more and more anxious as the days go on. I had my very first panic attack right before moving, and they have been happening more and more frequently. I'm wondering if I really need to start taking some kind of medication.

And also, which meds would even help? I have been on quite a few anti-depressants throughout my almost 30 years on this earth. Each time, they never helped at all. Has anyone else experienced this after moving to a new place? And if so, what actually helped? I am so fearful that if things do not get better, and fast, my marriage will be completely over. I am like 100% sure that my husband has never been depressed a day in his life.

I know I need to see a therapist but I'm having doubts it will help at all.

Are social workers called that in whatever country Wyoming is part of [uSA, yeah?] Not necessarily instead of, but as an add on. a Therapist will tell you what you should do in a "Do as I say, not as I do" way, a "soshe" will help you do it, get out in public, meet people, build a network, and be part of it with you/do part for you instead of barking depressing orders that sound like too much to deal with.

I just moved from the east coast back to the middle of the country about six months ago. My situation is a little different than yours because I knew a few people and had some family here, but I can totally understand your adjustment issues. I have never been this lonely in my life. I went from being part of millions of people to a town of less than 500,000. I miss my old neighborhood and friends. I miss the east coastie stuff. My only advice to you would be to try to own your decision to move and to try to find something every day that is new or worth being in your new home for. I had to put both feet in here and own my decision to move before things got better. I look back fondly and I miss the east coast, but I am finding new things to live about where I am. The trees, the clean air, the strange kindnesses of strangers, stupid bumper stickers, whatever. I agree with others that it is a good idea for you to seek counseling and a new doc for a meds check in too. And use this forum! People are incredibly kind and will help you through the rough patches. 

I hope you can hang in there. It's ok to grieve for the loss of place. Just don't forget to look around you for the good stuff too.

... a Therapist will tell you what you should do in a "Do as I say, not as I do" way, a "soshe" will help you do it, get out in public, meet people, build a network, and be part of it with you/do part for you instead of barking depressing orders that sound like too much to deal with.

Respectfully. I don't think this is what psychologists do. I have seen many psychologists and not ever had someone who "barked depressing orders". I doubt this is the kind of therapy most of us are engaged in. I don't think you should put the OP off from resources that may be very helpful.