CrazyBoards.org

How long does Seroquel take to really work?

Hi again all,

Still the same old issue with me - finding no real relief with Seroquel and wondering if it is me that is the problem or the drug.  I am on the verge, tomorrow night in fact, of switching to 300mg up from 150mg (initially began on 25mg, then 50mg, the 100mg) and thus far, at 150mg, I still am not seeing any positive effects of this drug.  I have been told by some of you that 300mg is where you really start getting some benefits but I must admit, I am really skeptical by this stage, after being on this for about nearly 3 months and not seeing any positive stuff.  I keep wondering if the bitch I have been lately really is me or if it really is Seroquel.  What a dilemma! Of course, I am stuck with this drug, this dose until 31st October! Then, who the hell knows?! It may be up to the pdoc then but man this situation sucks.  It is so hard sometimes not to want to kill people (not really literally).  I get angry really easily.  It is kind of scary.  I am so afraid that this drug just won't work for me and that nothing else ever will.  I guess you can't give me answers, so I am really probably being a time waster posting this. 

what are the positive effects that you're hoping for?

the positive effects that i've had from seroquel are: - better sleep, less suicidal, not crying at the drop of a hat, less depressed, not calling helplines on a daily basis.

that's on a dose starting at 25mg  - now up to 75mg.

"I keep wondering if the bitch I have been lately really is me or if it really is Seroquel."

sero shouldn't be making you bitchy - quite the opposite. i was much more frustrated, angry, and literally yelling at myself in the mirror about issues - i don't do that anymore.

400mg  at least to get a +ve response if it is your only drug, and you may need even more.     

The target dose is between 400mg and 1000mg  and you should get significant relief from irritability and anxiety within two or three days of hitting an effective dose.                            

Those of us who use lower doses pretty much all take a cocktail os synergistic psych/neuro meds.

Don't give up yet ... the drug will be only getting into it's stride between 300 &400 mg

It depends on why you are using it. At low doses, it is good for sleep. At low doses, some find anxiety relief. IIRC, 200mg and up is target for depression. 400mg and up for psychosis and mania. Not sure anger mgt is probably more of an off-label use and possibly hit or miss. Assuming that's your symptom because of what you said. At any rate, I think you have to try higher doses to know if it will work for you.

Anxiety, BPD and PMDD can all be related through symptoms of frustration, irritability and anger.     Actually the entire spectrum of MIs are just given descriptive names that give both us and our pdocs the illusion/delusion that we know what is wrong in our minds  ...   and the presumption that the problem can be fixed by a predictable form of treatment.     

Likewise drugs are developed and given descriptive tasks and names in an almost accidental manner ... and then they might be found to be extremely effective in a whole different set of brain cooties.  But one thing is sure and that is unpredictability ; a drug that is one persons saviour is another's devil.

If the Seroquel alone is not leveling out your anxiety the addition of Buspirone might help a lot ... but don't even think about it until your Seroquel is up in the effective range.

Edited by glasssss999

Thanks everyone for the answers!

I just started 300mg last night and think I feel a bit calmer, if not a bit drowsy, but I am okay.  Apart from really sore breasts and I had a really weird episode last night which freaked me out.  I heard a voice really loudly in my ear as I was blow drying my hair after a shower.  I don't remember what it said but it sounded like it was right next to me and therefore couldn't have been my husband calling out from the next room to my son in the bath.  We were all in separate rooms.  The voice was too loud also for it to be the others - I then got this really frightening feeling and I spun around to see who was there and there was no-one, nada.  I kept feeling really bad and freaked out and I kept the light on for a while before attempting to sleep.  I even heard another noise - a buzzing sound right near/in my head which was unpleasant to but didn't freak me out as much.  Next came the sleep apnoea and I kept waking up at least 6 times choking and gasping for air, in major panic, half asleep, believing I was going to die from lack of oxygen or something.  Can Seroquel trigger a psychotic event - even if you never had one (as far as you are aware)?

I am not saying this is what is happening, because I don't know enough about your illness, but have you ever heard of a paradoxical reaction?

I was having psychotic features (including a man who kept trying to get my attention in my kitchen "hey- Hey-HEY!"). Because of that I was put on  Risperdal.

When I called my dad a few days later (he's a pdoc), he scoffed, and said the Risperdal was making me have the hallucinations. Um, no, I was taking the Risperdal BECAUSE of the voices. But the fact that he said that would made me suspect he is used to seeing paradoxical effects with neuroleptics.

Although I didn't with risperdal, I've had several paradoxical reactions, including Abilify. It almost seems as if I am just genetically prone to them. That is my theory, I have nothing to back it up, except that one of my sisters also seems to have them as lot.