CrazyBoards.org

Sleeping meds for bipolar peeps! Help!

Ok, I have a pdoc appt at 10 tomorrow. As some of you know I have been manic for about a week now running on 7 hours of sleep between 3 days. Fun stuff. AnywAys I am so desperate to sleep its not even funny. Here's my current problem: lorazepam wears

off within 2 hours of taking it. Trazodone makes me worse. My Lamictal makes my hyper. My abilify brings me down but not enough. Melatonin does crap for me. I took ambien when I was 14 and it made me hallucinate for 5 hours. Help! I need some suggestions to bring up to my doc.

For me, if I'm manic there is ONE med that makes it stop cold. Zyprexa. A couple of days of Zypexa and the mania STOPS. It isn't always pretty because it sort of feels like slamming into a brick wall when you're running 60 miles an hour. The thing is, sometimes that's what has to happen. Typically, I don't stay on it more than a week or two and then my regular meds are enough to keep things under control.

I believe I've tried all the AAPs and the majority of the older APs. This is what I know works for me based on experience. I keep Zyprexa with me at all times. I can't afford for things to get out of control. I can let it go for a day or two but that's about all.

Best of luck.  

What dose of Ambien did you take when you hallucinated? I've found that a full 10mg will cause me to get visuals (not really hallucinations, just weird sensory stuff like the ceiling moving, pictures spinning, stuff like that), but not when I split it in half and take 5mg. Of course I would definitely understand if you wouldn't want to try that again, even with an antipsychotic. Maybe try a similar drug like Lunesta and see how it works? Or a different benzo, maybe valium.

I agree with sylvan that Zyprexa is the big man on campus in this department. I have an emergency prescription of it too to stop mania. I'm not sure about using it solely for sleep. I can only take it for a few days at a time before I become an insatiably hungry zombie.

When I have had trouble sleeping from mania by pdoc has had me take Risperdal (low dosage) with my Trazodone (I recall that you said Trazodone is a no for ya now-just sharing what has worked for me with it) and it was effective. I don't take it on a regular basis. Just in emergency situations. On a side note, I think I might actually talk to my pdoc about Zyprexa after reading this thread. While the Trazodone helps me to fall asleep, I tend to wake up throughout the night and have for months. Like now (it's 4:10am here). Hope your doc visit goes well and that you sleep soon!

If I'm manic, nothing helps me sleep. Hell, I have problems sleeping usually, so it's always a crap shoot.

Remeron helped me sleep but made me hyper (this was long before I was on a mood-stabilizer)

I slept OKAY on lithium. Geodon made me tired at night but I only slept for a few hours anyway, pretty hypo at that point. I was running on what you do for months.

I only think I slept decently on lithium because it did take care of mania. 

For me, any of the hypnotics or meds meant to help with sleep are out because I get hallucinations as well. This happens on my meds I've been on for years, recent development, but the other meds make it so, so much worse.

I'm on Trileptal now and that kinda helps me sleep, actually. I'm finally asleep within minutes, not hours. It's supposed to help with mania, but I came down off that before I was put on this med, now it's just used to prevent it.

Really, when I'm hypo/manic whatever it is, the only thing I can do is try and force the sleep, but that's just me.

Ativan is short acting. No wonder you're awake in a few hours. Maybe you could ask for a benzo with a longer half-life? Like Klonopin or Valium? Valium lasts the longest, but there are others as well. Valium does have the longest half life. It doesn't kick in as fast, but it lasts long enough, I think. It made me sleepy as hell on my initial dose. Now I'm tapering off and not sleeping as well. Go figure. It wasn't a miracle, but it helped for a bit.

Hope you can figure something out. It's terrible not sleeping for that long. 

That's just my experience and my only recommendations would be remeron or a longer benzo. That's what I'd ask for in that situation.

Abilify sedated me for a while. Enough for me to sleep well when I wasn't hypo/manic. One time I was pretty hypo and I think I WAS on Abilify but coming off it and I managed 5-6 hours a night somehow. But that shit knocked me out like nothing else when I started it (for depression).

Good luck!

What dose of Seroquel were you on?  that one is pretty broad in terms of what dose will help with sleep. When you say that it didn't work, for all we know, you could be referring to 25mg or 600mg. it's all in the dosage.  In the beginning, 50mg of Seroquel and 10mg of Ambien used to do it for me.  Then I had to quit the Ambien as I was texting random people in the middle of the night.

Now it takes 350mg of Seroquel to get some sleep.  I still wake up multiple times in the night to get something to drink courtesy of the lithium/Depakote combo.

another thought - OTC Benadryl works for some people.

Edited by Frenetic47

What dose of Seroquel were you on?  that one is pretty broad in terms of what dose will help with sleep. When you say that it didn't work, for all we know, you could be referring to 25mg or 600mg. it's all in the dosage.  In the beginning, 50mg of Seroquel and 10mg of Ambien used to do it for me.  Then I had to quit the Ambien as I was texting random people in the middle of the night.

Now it takes 350mg of Seroquel to get some sleep.  I still wake up multiple times in the night to get something to drink courtesy of the lithium/Depakote combo.

another thought - OTC Benadryl works for some people.

That's a good point. Any less than 200mg Seroquel didn't get me to sleep, right from day one.

I like Ambien, but doesn't sound like that's an option for you. I'm with you on Trazadone, for me it comes with anti-depressant side-effects which are just as bad as the ones that come with SSRIs. Possibly a low dose of Xanax? I tried it for social/generalized anxiety, but I quit because it made me physically tired. So I figure it'd be a decent sleep aid. If you happen to consume caffeine, definitely try to quit. I recently discovered I cannot maintain any sort of sleep routine with caffeine in my diet.

UPDATE

So we increased my Ativan to 2mg at night and I take an additional 10mg of Abilify at night on top of what I already take. The last two days it seemed to work ok so we will see what happens.

I took rozarem and it was a complete and utter nightmare!!!!! It made me manic depressive and anxiety attacks like no other, I was afraid to sleep cuz I thought I was gonna die. So just a heads up to anyone who's thinking of taking rozarem. I looked at the reviews as well and it seems like a lot of people had the same effect.