CrazyBoards.org

I have been having a lot of trouble with feeling flat and wanting to be away from people. I don't really feel any emotions and I don't want to be near or talk to other people at all. I can tell my dad feels hurt when he tries to talk to me and I give him a one word answer and walk away (even though he knows my situation). I just sit in my therapists office and can't force myself to look him or engage with him - I know that he can help me but I think just can't because I'm so apathetic. Those are really the only two people I am forced to interact with. I have felt like this before but never so intensely and never for so long. Right now I don't have a diagnosis and have only had symptoms (anxiety, what they tell me are hallucinations/delusions, obsessive thoughts, etc) for a little over a year and am totally overwhelmed. Do other people ever feel like this? Does it go away? Can you get yourselves to engage with other people even if you really don't want to - how, does it make you feel better/worse(should I even bother)? help. 

Yes, I've feel this way when I am really depressed and need a med tweak. 

My advice is to find a psychiatrist (pdoc) and see if you can get some medication which might help.  For me, it doesn't go away without medication. 

Can you get yourselves to engage with other people even if you really don't want to - how, does it make you feel better/worse(should I even bother)?

No, I can't engage with other people no matter what when I feel like this.  I don't really have feelings of better/worse when I am like this; I just don't care about anything and don't bother doing anything.

For me, it isn't as simple as not letting myself be overrun. I genuinely find it physically and mentally difficult to interact. I can become so flat that it doesn't even cross my mind to fight for it. It isn't even that I don't care. It's that the thought of trying to persist in struggling to interact just doesn't come. I don't even think about it.

I'm sorry that I haven't found a way to stop the apathy, anhedonia and avolition. I just have to ride out the worst of it, and spend as much time resting as I can. If I can started, sometimes simple projects like jewelry making passes the time so I'm not just sitting in limbo.

Its not good to be socially withdrawn, ... , it can also worsen psychosis.

When I am with people, my psychosis worsens.  The only time I am myself and calmer etc is when I am not around people.  They stress me out, and any conversation is emotionally exhausting.

I agree for the most part.

I need a lot of time resting to sort my head or breakthrough symptoms occur

Bit then too much time in my own head can sink me further from being able to connect with getting out of it or wanting to

Its not good to be socially withdrawn, ... , it can also worsen psychosis.

When I am with people, my psychosis worsens. The only time I am myself and calmer etc is when I am not around people. They stress me out, and any conversation is emotionally exhausting.

I can relate to that, btw do you or any one else in this sub forum lack empathy?

Also my psychiatrist pushes me to socialize, I think you should try, in my country they have a social program for people with sz to socialize together and do activities.

I can relate to that, btw do you or any one else in this sub forum lack empathy?

Idk to be honest.  I don't think I lack it, but I don't think it is all there either.

IME, socializing makes my MI worse and I just really prefer to not be around others.  Occasionally sure, but most of the time I am much better off alone and "talking" with on-line friends here and other places.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know how to change thr feeling, but I try to act my way through it.i used to be in drama and debate so I try to force myself to be around others (well I force myself to appointments and group) and when I'm with others I try to pretend I'm on stage, like I know when to make eye contact becausr I learned it in public speaking courses. I dont enjoy it, I get very tired, but I make myself do it like I make myself take medication or vitamins.

Sometimes easier said than done though, I get scared of eyes on me too and a couple times when people were giving me eye contact which is polite in conversation, I got overwhelmed and actually ran away from them and hid in the corner which probably made me look like a nut :P

I hear being away from peoplr makes it worse and I only partially agree. I was having some symptoms all throughout php which I did to socialize, anf it went away when I started only going once a week, I feel much better alone because people are stressful to keep my theater act up with and for some reason people hurt til be around, I think I ferel their aura or something and its very draining to be around. I like to stay alone.

On the other hand though having zero contact with peoplr snd not going outside made me a little crazy, so its all about balance snd I think for a while finding balance feels like torture. I want too see people I love but I would rather not, no will or something because I would rather be alone and read or watch tv, I dont even like being emailed, but having a bridge to the outside world is probably healthier than being a hermit.

I don't know I lack empathy but I ferl like my emotion is a very shallow puddle, not much depth our range, feels detached so I am not impacted by things emotionally the way I used to be. i can empathize with people but more intellectually than emotionally maybe. I always associate this whole issue with depression because peoplr always tell me I'm depressed, sounds like depression. my face its piety blank so I look depressed...I dont feel sad but I wonder sometimes if that is just because my emotions are dull. Who knows.

I would talk to your psych doctor about it, I'm mustering the courage to dio the same because its really bothering me. I have started doing cbt and dbt kind of stuff, opposite action, it helps on the surface but the feeling is stil there, or lack of feeling. I force myself to see family, opposite action, but I never want to or feel the reward from it I think I should get. people are social creatures so sometimes I ferl subhuman. Some people tell me that its normal and some people arr just private, but I wasn't always like this so I kind of dismiss that. if its distressing its reasonable to investigate I think.

Good luck

I also meant to add becausr I think it is important to talk about, if talking is hard maybe try to write it and hand out to your therapist. I have to do that becausei have trouble with bringing it up and of the therapist doesnt guide the session r then I just sit there a lot of the time