CrazyBoards.org

for anybody (any dx) who has visual hallucinations, how long does an individual hallucination last for you?  for example, i saw a rat last night (or rather i thought i did).  it walked across the table and hid under my laptop.  it took me a few seconds to muster the courage to pick up my laptop to see if a rat really could slide under there because i was scared (i love rats, but i didn't know this one).  so in total it was probably ten seconds of seeing/believing the rat's presence.  that's about average for me.

another thread has me thinking about reality testing, and i realized i do the bulk of mine by playing "wait and see".  if something is still there in thirty seconds it's real, in my world.  but maybe that won't always be true.  i mean i heard these damned bagpipes for hours at a time for months on end before i ever thought to mention them, because it never occurred to me they aren't real, so my reality testing kinda failed me there.  maybe my wait and see method isn't the greatest.

so yeah um, how long do your visual hallucinations last?

For me i think it's really hard to tell because I tend to get so wrapped up in them that I lose track of time. I think I can safely say that I've never had one last longer than a hour (my dad left the house and returned an hour later and I was sitting in the exact same place, staring at the exact same thing which he didn't see - that's the longest I've ever noticed) but usually they feel short. My tactile ones usually last for under 30 minutes and auditory can range from a few seconds to hours. 

Mine are a range. Some last a lot longer, lysergia. I've believed people exist who don't for years, but then the minions trying to contaminate medications cups and such...sometimes that's more fleeting. But then with more amorphous visual distortion, like the whole world being cast in darkness that can last ages, but then with buildings starting to lean to smother me it's more brief. So a rane of timeframes for both is what I'm saying poorly.

thanks all.  i guess i'm lucky in that my visual hallucinations are all brief (i think, unless i'm missing something, which is possible, i don't trust my perception all that much right now).  so if they are brief and stay that way then the "wait and see" will work fine.  i don't like asking my husband or anybody else if they saw what i saw.  they worry enough as it is and i get funny looks when i ask that.  i wish i could get the auditory ones to be brief.  at least i'm not afraid of them they just drive me nuts.  nutser.  whatever. 

For me it depends.  They could be just quick bursts or they could last minutes or hours.  Sometimes they are conditional, once I was trying to read in bed at the end of a long day and the shadows in the corner had someone in them, but as soon as I looked that way or turned off the lights so there wouldn't be a shadow, it went away. But If I have a delusion that reinforces the hallucination (ala demons from hell are looking for me and want to take my soul and are animating decaying corpses to look for me, with the decaying corpses being the hallucination) it lasted almost three weeks before I could get enough meds in my system to make it go away.  

Usually brief but if I'm seeing the shadow people, it can be longer. Example: a few weeks ago I wasn't doing well and I thought/saw a shadow person at the end of my bed and huge spiders in my dresser that is right next to the bed. This continued until I fell asleep, about 20 mins. I wasn't continuously looking at what I (thought) was seeing, I was curled in a ball, terrified, frozen, and occasionally looking to see if the spiders or shadow person was still there. When I would look, they would be there. I think that was the longest hallucination I've had thus far, not taking into account the years I didn't know I was actually hallucinating.

I have visual hallucinations serval time a week they last from mins to an hour at a time, but my delusion voices are everyday and almost constant.

My voices are almost constant too.  Even on meds.  The meds make them not as clear though and that's good.

For me the Meds just make the voices more manageable.

it would seem that the absence of delusions to accompany my visual hallucinations is what's keeping them brief, when i compare my experience to all of yours.  i guess i'm lucky in that way then.  the auditory hallucinations though, yeah that's another story, they can go on for days without a break.  i haven't tried enough meds yet to know if an AAP will make them go away even a little bit.  i thought all this was being caused by parnate, since it all stopped abruptly when i stopped taking it, but a few weeks later it all came back.  thanks everybody, i'm learning a lot.