CrazyBoards.org

I just don't eat lately

Lately..I just don't eat. I don't know why. If I eat a few bites, I feel sick. But I also feel sick and dizzy and very faint during the day because I'm not eating anything either. I feel like I may pass out sometimes. I try to eat, but I usally can only handle a few bites and I'm done. I've never really had this problem before..what do you do when you just can't eat?

When I get anxious or hypomanic, I hate food. It sounds disgusting, thinking of the consistency makes me want to vomit, I want nothing to do with it. Is it that kind of thing? 

If it is, I HAVE forced myself to eat. It doesn't help my mental condition one bit to be faint all the time. That's just annoying. I've choked down food while dry heaving before. Shit takes effort, but it's best that you do eat.

I had a problem with any kind of flavor. Even my favorite beverages were disgusting to me. All I could handle was coffee and water, so considering drinking healthy, high calorie smoothies or other things was completely out of the question. Do you think you could do that? Drink good drinks, that is? You need a way to get nutrition and energy. If you're only having a few bites of something here and there then I'd recommend finding drinks like that. Have NO idea what to suggest, unfortunately as I've never been able to do that. Maybe someone else knows of them? Protein drinks maybe? 

Or really thin soup? I don't know. What is it that's bothering you about the food? You just don't have the stomach for it right now? No appetite can be dealt with more easily than "everything is fucking disgusting." Maybe just look at what is bothering you about it? I've been so anxious I couldn't eat though. It made me feel sick. I have to really think about what is bothering me about the food before finding a solution, and sometimes I don't even find one.

Hopefully you can figure something out. I always hate it when that happens. No fun at all.

I agree with hagar.  Talk to your doctor.  Perhaps the Wellbutrin is exacerbating your anxiety or decreasing your appetite, or this could be something that you need to talk through with a therapist.  It sounds to me like there is something that needs to be addressed here, and I hope you can reach out for support.

In the meantime, I would try to eat calorie-dense foods, like nuts and seeds, nut butters, full-fat dairy, trail mix, etc.  There are also nutritional supplements, in the form of bars or shakes, that you might find easier to stomach.

For me, stress causes me to stop eating. I know from some of your other posts that you are not in the happiest of mental headspaces right now. Perhaps that has something to do with it.

For me, when this happens, I focus on soup. I can eat soup (although it may take me an hour to eat a bowl) even if I can't manage much else.

Please try to get some calories in you - especially early in the day.  After having a baby your hormones and feelings are all over the place.  Made worse for you with depression and anxiety and "the deadbeat dad" to up the stress.      Yes, anxiety and  now blood sugar from not eating can be horrible.   Don't worry about nutrition for a few days - just get a milkshake or smoothie or juice and toast or a donut and coffee in you for instance.  Nibble on salty nuts and chocolate.  I'm sorry that this is such a rough time for you.

thanks for the advice everyone, I will try it. :) It's just after I eat a few bites I just cannot eat anymore..I do like smoothies though so I think I'll try that. (or soup) I don't *think* it's the wellbutrtion b/c I've been on it in the past and it never caused this..but maybe it's different now? I don't know.

I like greek yoghurt with honey when I can't stomach proper food. Maybe you could try eating a few bites of energy dense food (like cheese or nuts or maybe a protein bar) every hour or half hour, rather than eating at mealtimes? Soups are good, especially if they're creamy. You can add some grated cheese or cream or some butter for extra calories. If the taste of things is bothering you, then drinking smoothies or shakes through a straw sometimes helps. It can help to drink juice or milks instead of water, sometimes so you're getting calories in there.

I do this when I'm stressed and depressed as well. It is so hard to eat when you have no appetite and it feels like your stomach is rejecting everything but sometimes you have to push yourself to get food in, because it is so bad for your brain and body to not have enough.