CrazyBoards.org

Hi everyone,

After my second hospitalization my psychiatrist added 600 mg. Quetiapine to my rx plus... some other AP (yes, I remember it was an AP and not an AAP) I don't remember the name of anymore --anyways it's not important, I took it for 4 days after my hospitalization and now (under the psychiatrists directions) am off this second AP.

The thing is I've sort of become addicted to my Quetiapine night dose (400 mg.), I need it in order to sleep. If I don't take it I don't sleep, as simple as that. At the most, without Quetiapine, and after going to the gym or other heave physical activity and taking some alcohol (not much, etiher a few beers or some wine along dinner), I sleep for maybe up to 4 hours and constantly wake up, every half an hour or hour; this, obviously, doesn't leave me rested..

Yesterday (after like 48 hours of not sleeping) there was nothing that could put me to sleep, so I took my PRN med, 2 mg. Clonazepam, a few hours later 2 mg. more, and so on. I ended taking 10 mg. Clonazepam before finally sleeping for like 10 hours. 

I know taking that much Clonazepam is in most likelihood not goof for me, I just panicked and kinda lost count of how much I was taking, I simply kept on going. Not sleeping seriously scares me at times because it is the main signal that I'm not far from going psychotic.

So, questions:

- Was me taking that much Clonazepam dangerous or just reckless (I know I was waaaaay far from overdosing, I researched it a bit)?

- What have you done, if in the same situation, about becoming resistant to meds that are meant to help (and are essential for) you sleep (especially Clonazepam or Quetiapine)?

I also take Melatonin (have tried 3 mg. and also 0.75 mg due to a tip from someone here on CB, which I confirmed with my psychiatrist) and PLENTY of chamomile tea; it does nothing, or at least nothing noticeable.

--------------------------------------

THANKS EVERYONE for your replies!!!

MODERATORS: if this should better be in the psychosis forum, or drug dependency forum, or anywhere else, please excuse me and move it as you see fit.

Is it prescribed to take at night? If so, why are you not taking it? You need to take it every day at around the same time to get the most benefits out of it.

Taking that much clonazepam is a bad idea. You will build up tolerance, fast, and if you're mixing alcohol, that is a very dangerous combination. I don't want to sound like I'm reprimanding you, because you know that's a huge dose.

Have you tried Seroquel XR in the morning (it sounds like you split the 600mg dose into 200mg am and 400mg pm, correct me if I'm wrong!) and Seroquel IR (just plain old seroquel, not the extended version, "instant release") at night? It has a tendency to hit quicker.

Yes, System, I am prescribed 200 mg. as a morning dose and 400 mg. as a before bed time dose. I'll do some research on the different kinds of Quetiapine now, I had no idea there was more than one kind (XR and IR).

I DO take my night meds, why wouldn't I? Not sleeping for 2 or 3 days (or longer... I've been there) is hell. For months before my second hospitalization, prior to Qutiapine this happened every now and then, and all I could do was take Clonazepam, but never more than once a week, I am scared of the addiction potential it seems to have (got that after a quick internet research). 

Although I have to admit I more than often skip the morning dose, I just don't want to live the life of a zombie (don't know if that's an oxymoron).

Maybe the confusion comes from me not clarifying that lately Quetiapine is loosing the effect it has on me and that is why, I guess, I went on a Clonazepam rampage. Regarding the alcohol, I don't drink daily, not even weekly, I was just refereeing to a dinner some time ago and another dinner this last week. My psychiatrist told me it is OK for me to drink as long as I don't get drunk. 3 beers with friends, fine; 2 glasses of wine with dinner on christmas or a birthday, fine. A whole bottle of wine or 4 vodka-red bulls... NOT FINE.

I'll bring this up at my next appointment, but I don't even have a date yet and I fear it will be in more than a month, so, PLEASE, if anyone has got experience with these kind of things, especially growing resistance to meds and overcoming them with... anything really, I will be happy/relieved to read about it. Even if it doesn't apply to my particular situation, I just want to read I am not going to become a benzo addict... which according to my surely incomplete but given the circumstances adequate research can be one of the worse addictions.

Hey there, I don't think you'll necessarily become a benzo addict but I agree that you should defo do what you can not to develop tolerance. I take Ativan daily. Or I'm supposed to. And I have Xanax as needed. I have my developed a substance issue so it's possible not to, even after many years. Best to you x

I take klonopin 1mg, trazodone 150mg, and 200mg seroquel for sleep. I have become mostly resistant to this combo. It takes me hours to fall asleep and when I do I wake up after a few hours and am up for a few hours then too before dozing off and on again til morning.

It sucks big time. I have no advice. Just wanted you to know you aren't alone. My pdoc seems like he could care less about me not sleeping through the night or sleeping well. I hope your pdoc is better and has so e answers or options for you.

I think you should call your pdoc immediately and get an appointment.  You need to work this out with your doctor.

You are NOT addicted.  Our bodies become habituated, but that is not addiction.  One thing to discuss with your doctor is trying extended release versus regular.  It is not good to be a zombie during the day.  I only take my Quel at night.  I take 350 mg or ER in the early evening and then a sleep med such as Temazepam. 

Your 10mg ingestion of clonazepam was perhaps reckless, perhaps dangerous but most of all, understandable. I'm sure many of us can relate to desperation to sleep. Just be aware that if you continue to use it that way, you may develop a high tolerance, and yes, if you did that everyday, a dependance. 

I became tolerant to the sleep-inducing effects of Seroquel after a year or two as well. I took 200-400mg. I'm taking 15mg of Remeron now. It worked great at first, now it works some of the time. I'm sure I'll be completely resistant to it soon. I'm not sure what the answer is. I think tolerance is an issue with every hypnotic drug and drug that can be used as such. Behavioral solutions, with occasional or short-term use of hypnotics is probably the only solution.

I think you should call your pdoc immediately and get an appointment.  You need to work this out with your doctor.

You are NOT addicted.  Our bodies become habituated, but that is not addiction.  One thing to discuss with your doctor is trying extended release versus regular.  It is not good to be a zombie during the day.  I only take my Quel at night.  I take 350 mg or ER in the early evening and then a sleep med such as Temazepam. 

My thought as well.  Call you Dr. and say, "Hey this dose of Seroquel that you have me on is not helping with the sleep."  My Dr. .jumps all over this kind of stuff because she is always trying to ward off a manic episode. We usually come up with an emergency plan over the phone and she follows up a day or two later. I feel your pain. I need 350mg of Seroquel to sleep, but even then I still wake up anywhere from 2-6 times a night... to drink water.

I would just look at that evening as an isolated event and you were desperate for sleep.   We  have all been there.

But do get in contact with your Dr. and the first chance you get.

Edited by Frenetic47

It sucks big time. I have no advice. Just wanted you to know you aren't alone. 

This is why I love this site, pathetic or not (I don't care either way), this really brings hope to my -[insert stuff about crappy and crazy]- life.

BIG THANK YOU CHEESE

Edited by Lemmiwinks

Please don't think I'm being judgmental, but have you tried not drinking alcohol? My family doc and my pdoc both told me that even though it makes you sleepy at first, after about 4 hours you become wakeful. FWIW, maybe that's part of what's happening.

Anyway, I agree you should check this out with your doc. Let us know how it goes.

Regarding the alcohol, I don't drink daily, not even weekly, I was just refereeing to a dinner some time ago and another dinner this last week. My psychiatrist told me it is OK for me to drink as long as I don't get drunk. 

Just to clarify: I am not getting drunk every night, not even drinking a bit every night. Anyways, thank you for your concern The Uncon Pera D; I am sure you are right, for the time being it is best I just don't drink at all.

This might sound backwards but typically the lower doses of Seroquel are better for sleep. Something like 150 mg or less--maybe up to 200 mg. Does you morning dose make you sleepy? I wouldn't be surprised if it did. 

Anyway, back to what you were saying. You say you need Seroquel to sleep. If you don't take it you don't sleep and it isn't working as well as it used to. For me, when things change like that (a med worked and now it doesn't seem to much) then it's time for an appointment with pdoc. Sleep is a huge deal for me. It's one of the first clues I have that I'm starting to have mood problems. At least call your pdoc. He/she might be willing to change meds over the phone or call in a change to your pharmacy if he/she decides one is needed. 

Best of luck. We've all been there (well, not all but a heck of a lot of us).