CrazyBoards.org

Anyone Tried Hydroxyzine Pamoate?

I was put on this for 6 or 8 weeks for that "itch" all over the body side effect of opiates.  *Surgery - long story.  Its seems like this is an older drug that does a variety of things but I saw someone rate it as a "5" (on the 1~5 scale) because it made it impossible to have anxiety problems.   Like wow...   Anyway - I'm curious if anyone has experience with it.

I had to take opiates for post sugery pain a couple times and the itching made me crazy.   This was the first time they added that to the Oxywhatevers.   *At least they didn't give me Vicodine.   That drug is a sure way to make me barf.  Anyway I'm reading up on it and it looks like it is a really good anti anxiety drug.  *But really old.   Does it make you really sleepy?

I take it occasionally when I'm anxious and it calms me down dramatically, almost too much... It makes me feel sleepy/drugged, but that's definitely better than me freaking the fuck out ha. I think I may just be super sensitive to medications

• 2 weeks later...

I always seem to have the opposite problem.  It takes large doses of anything to have the proper effect.   I've got a few health issues and no matter what it is (Not all MI related) I seem to end up on the high dose.

Haven't taken it but my research indicates it's a relative of ceterizine (Zyrtec), the allergy med.  Which probably explains its anti-itch and anti-bitch (sedative) effects.

At some point in the past 5-6 years, I had my home wi-fi network named after it (I have a tradition of naming my wi-fi networks after arcane muscle relaxants -- already been through hydroxyzine, carisprodol, orphenadrine, and metalaxone...) I think tiazinadine would be next if I could spell it correctly on a regular basis.  aaanyways...

You can read more about hydroxyzine here: http://www.rxlist.com/vistaril-drug.htm

BTW, remember that if you need horse's doses of most meds, that isn't always true for all of them (personal experience here).  It takes 2mg clonazepam (2-4x recommended dose) to stop me from punching walls in my sleep due to Parkinsonism.  My pdoc once put me on terazosin (start 1mg, work up to 2mg) for insomnia/PTSD nightmares and I got to 6mg with no appreciable effect.  He wasn't very happy about this, since apparently some sensitive individuals have died of cardiac arrest at even 2mg and you'd think I'd be smart enough to look the drug up before self adjusting my dose, since well, I design drug OD alert systems for a living. 

In contrast, it takes 5mg Zyprexa (half rec. dose) to drive me up the wall with akathisia.

Edited by LikeMinded

I've heard about the opiate itch too, but never experienced it.  The opiate bitch, OTOH, I've had with Vicodin (hydrocodone)... I'm a total depressed arsehole whilst on that drug.  If I'm in an injury-emergency and have severe pain, I have to make sure the docs give me oxycodone (Percocet) instead.  Also, I agree with the idea that something that dulls the pain without dulling your respiratory drive is a good addition to an opiate, even if it means two drugs instead of one. 

OTOH, After I smashed my face and bent my ribcage 5 months ago in a high-speed cycling crash, I didn't regain proper oxygen saturation in the ER until the nurses gave me enough opiates since *I could hardly breathe due to the pain*.  I'm sure if they gave me an assisting drug like hydroxyzine or orphenadrine the results would have been even better....

Edited by LikeMinded

I can't think of anything I've ever taken that worked at the low dose.   Being sedated has been a problem in the hospital.  I was alert and obviously awake while they kept giving me more and asking me if I was getting fuzzy yet.   I was doing great until they hit some level that made breathing seem like too much work.   Wow do I owe that nurse for getting into my face and yelling "Breath!"   Even drinking didn't seem to have the effect it did on my friends.   They would be passed out or acting silly doing things like wrestling women dumb enough to hang out with us and I would be looking at the bottle thinking "Is my bottle defective or what?"   My roomate decided to drink with me (why I don't know) and at the end of the night he said "You HAVE to be drunk." and then fell down and rolled around a bit.  It just doesn't work as well on me.   I should admit that I have been drunk.  But this was drinking shot by shot with an Irish Boxing Fan and even then I had to get him home.   *Glad I'm not doing that anymore...

I've been trying to find a good medical link on people who are less affected by meds (In general) or those that are hyper sensitive.  I'm also a tad worried that I'm wearing out my liver or something by having to take these high doses.   Or maybe thats the whole problem.  Maybe my liver is not as good (or its far too good) at processing meds.

*I do understand your warning and trust me...  I don't want to start on the high end of any meds dosages.

Wow Hal,

I *totally* feel for you!!!!!!!!!!

In fact, immediately after the surgery for injuries incurred during said bike crash, the nurses were instructing me... get this... "BREATHE!!!! BREATHE!!!", as my SpO2 sensor was saying I was falling below 80% as I was still apparently too intoxicated on the fentanyl they gave me to induce me into anesthesia.  I was still totally conscious mind you (apparently one isn't supposed to be conscious at that SpO2 level, but hey, I have severely restricted lungs, I'm used to low O2!).  I irately had to respond that I *was* doing fine thank you very much (and to turn the SpO2 monitor to my face so that I could breathe properly in order to turn off that fcking alarm that sounded whenever I dropped below 80%).  The nurses eventually resorted to putting an oxygen mask on my face to get the alarm to STFU and GTFO.  Quite amusing.

I think we're in the class of people whose livers don't give a fck.  Until it's too late, heh.  I'm the one who's supposed to find lots and lots of data links on people like us whose livers tolerate tons of meds but seem to not be able to find publications on it... I'm having to guess it's the safety-first (as opposed to treatment-first) culture of medicine.

And I hear you on the drunk thing.  My friends and I would go out and get trashed, except I'm the one who would retain full psychological sobriety until he suddenly passed out on the floor.  Meanwhile, said friends would have a jolly good time at half the amount of alcohol I'd had.  Of course I never drove whilst potted as I weigh only 140 lb. and while my brain may not think it's drunk, I'd bet a breathalyzer would say otherwise!  Eventually, I became my clique's designated driver, to be honest...

It sounds like we had similar experiences.  In post High School years I seem to always end up being the driver.   As in driving an hour to pick up besotted friends nearly every weekend.  

The opiate itch sucks.  Its like every square inch of your body itches all at once.   You just scratch at whatever random spot is bothering you and it goes on and on.   This anti itch drug made it

I had the unfortunate experience of having a surgeon who assumed anyone on his "Milk of Amnesia" wouldn't remember any of his twisted humor.   We had a conversation when I was supposed to be sedated.  Another doctor who told me in a pretty nasty tone that it was pointless telling me anything because "I wouldn't remember a word of it"   So when he came into recovery I recited everything he told me (That I was supposed to forget) and he was quite a nice shade of pink.   

I know only one person who has had similar experiences and she unfortunately "wakes up" in the middle of surgery and as she puts it "Being carved up hurts like hell" so at least I don't have that to worry about.   I had some pretty serious surgery where they got me under but I woke up and tried to pull out my airway.   They had my hands strapped down but someone told me later that I was a foot off the table and they thought "This guy might actualy do it"   I think I screwed up my arm muscles doing this because I was complaining more about them rather then the big incision they made.   And it fricking hurts when THEY pull out your airway which I think they expect you not to be alert for. 

All I can say is a little dialogue I had with my GIdoc several years ago:

Him: "Are you adequately sedated?"

Me: "Sir, we're having medical-colloquium level discussions about the characteristics of cell mutations in the small intestine.  DO YOU THINK I'M ADEQUATELY SEDATED?!?!?!"

The worst part was that this was during a colonoscopy.  Heh.</tmi>  He couldn't titrate my dose upwards from where I was since my oxygen saturation was dipping below 80% and there was no staff anesthesiologist on hand to handle potential cardiopulmonary arrest.  He'd given me that "milk of Amnesia" (propofol) as well as fentanyl, but to no valuable result, unfortunately.

Thankfully when my face got smashed in this past May by the asphalt, they were able to give me enough anesthesia (chiefly due to me warning them I was insensitive to the stuff and their butts would be in trouble if I had awareness issues during surgery, but not if I died due to it; I'd accepted responsibility for that!).

• 2 weeks later...

Wow.   What happened?   Motorcycle accident or??   I hope everything is getting better.   Oh and to whoever said they were miserable on Vicodin.   No more of that for me - ever.   Its a race to throw up or pass out.   Something about that just doesn't work for me.  Its sad to have been given stuff like that often enough that I have opinions on which pain drug I "like" better then the other.  *And no, I'm not talking about like as in I "like" it in some kind of drug abuse way.   Personally I don't care for feeling doped up.  Other then when I'm dealing with some kind of serious medical pain issue.

You know, I'm wondering if that's what happened with the girl when she was on oxycodone/Tylenol after her surgery. She was itching all over. She called the doctor and got Vicodin instead. We thought the itching was because she was allergic. From what you guys are saying, it might not have been an allergy at all. Does anyone know how you can tell the difference between an allergy to the med vs the overall itching?

Allergic reactions almost always have a "rash" component, often with _blistering_ and/or bumps that is not part of the itch/scratch response. Also an allergic reaction continues after the medication is stopped...sometimes for a very long time.

ETA: Benadryl is my bestest buddy!

Edited by Indigo 'n dye

Allergic reactions almost always have a "rash" component, often with _blistering_ and/or bumps that is not part of the itch/scratch response. Also an allergic reaction continues after the medication is stopped...sometimes for a very long time.

She had no rash. With each dose, the itching got worse. That's why I thought it might be an allergy. Sounds like that might not be the case. She switched to another pain med and the itching stopped. It's sort of a relief to think that it might not have been an allergy. Thanks for the info.