CrazyBoards.org

Treating Bp1 Without An Antipsychotic? READ ME

Hello, Antipsychotics make me sleep for 10-11 hours, which prevents me for working morning jobs where the best opportunities are. With piling debt and a second credit card on the red I'm looking for a new treatment.

What is a way to treat BP1 without an antipsychotic?

Please name your type of med and medication itself here and let me know. Thank you.

I don't have much to add, but how many aaps have you tried? I found for me Abilify was the exact opposite of lethargy. Couldn't sit still.... They all effect us so different, but as the previous poster said maybe you can find balance on a good mood stabilizer. either way I wish you the best and hope you find some peace soon.

-Tbird

I was on combos of the following for different periods and did okay.

Lithium

Lamictal - still take

Tegretol

Depakote

There also is Trileptal.

Those are the main commonly accepted anticonvulsants to treat BP. There are a few others that are either off label or only tend to work for a few.

I wouldn't write off AAPs unless you've tried them all. Each is different. I also take Latuda, a new AAP. It is wonderful. My mind came together on it in a way that it didn't on the above ACs and Lithium. I had akathisia problems on most AAPs except Risperdal which made me a little stoned and drove up my prolactin levels. I was about to give up on AAPs, but figured I'd give the new ones a go first. Glad I did. I feel no sedation on Latuda. Read the boards. Others find it non-sedating, but not everyone.

I agree with the last three posts, that bipolar can be successfully treated in some people with just a mood stabilizer.

If you haven't tried every antipsychotic I wouldn't give up on them just yet. One might not cause you sedation and some like Abilify are actually considered activating instead of sedating so that might be worth a try.

You might want to consider one of the older antipsychotics. I've been on perphenazine at several times as well as others. Consider trying one if you've already tried all the AAPs

AAP's take time to get used to. Some newer ones, such as latuda or abilify can have an activating effect. Often drowsiness goes away. When I was switched from Geodon to Seroquel I thought I'd never be conscious for more than an hour a day. I kept taking it, I was less drowsy, but sleeping well (I had insomnia on Geodon, bad) and then I switched to XR, and I have no residual drowsiness.

Mood stabilizers are helpful but if you have psychotic symptoms, an antipsychotic is helpful. Mood stabilizers can cause drowsiness at the beginning, too. It generally goes away when the dose and combo are right.

Older AP's, like what sylvan suggested, can be helpful as well if you need an antipsychotic and can't tolerate AAP's.

A lot of the time, just giving it a couple of weeks will help with the tiredness. If not, a dose adjustment or change is needed. It takes a bit to get it right,

I only ever need the antipsychotic when I'm extremely deep in a depressive episode or hypomanic/manic. I'm given Abilify when it's a depressive episode and the anti-depressant isn't working well enough, and they try to prescribe me Zyprexa for manic episodes. Outside of major episodes, it's just Epival (mood stabilizer) and Cipralex (anti-depressant) for me.

Talk to your psychiatrist about only using antipsychotics during episodes. You may still need to use an antipsychotic from time to time, but in many cases with Bipolar Disorder it doesn't need to be a 365 drug.

My current combo is in my signature and it works great for me. 

I know what time I have to take my Seroquel at each night so I can get the right amount of sleep and not be groggy.  I sub at the school, so my job is on call.  They start calling at 6 am.  If I feel like I need 9 hours of sleep, I make time for it, despite having kids and attending to their needs.  It helps that they are older.  But the Seroquel really helps with the sleep, things are pretty good and I am  currently stable.

I also can't say enough good things about Lithium. It is a good mood stabilizer and one that not enough people give a chance ( more than a month).  I have had virtually no side effects on it and it worked well for awhile until we needed to augment.  You could start there and they may be all you need until you become symptomatic.

Thank you everyone, I will try to convince my doctor to take me off the APs. My doctor likes to delay switching meds for months, I ended up twice in the ER over meds I told them weren't good for me.

My only hope is to find a private practice pdoc at this point, I called a few today.