CrazyBoards.org

Forgetting meds/Lazy

Does anyone else ever do this? Somedays I'm

Super good about taking my meds, other days like today I slack off and then when I finally remember it's time for bedtime meds or it's too late, so I've gone all day with not enough meds. Ugh! I really need to get a pill divider but who knows if I'd even use it. It's not like I don't want to get better it's just that my mind gets so busy I forget...

Maybe you could talk to your pdoc about changing the time of your med or see if you could get extended release versions rather than immediate release. If you did this, it might be possible to change to taking your meds once a day.

I know myself well enough to realize that I can only be consistent with my meds if I take them all at the same time. I take all my meds at bedtime--well, except for the Adderall--if I don't take it by 10 am then I don't take it for that day.  

I hardly ever forget to take meds because I know how i will feel without them and I hate that feeling.  I have pill boxes that I use.  After I take the AM ones (same time approx every day), I set out the 2 other times of the day that I take them on post-its with the time to take them so I don't forget.  So far I haven't ever had a problem.

You've just gotta make it part of your routine. I always take my AM meds with my breakfast and PM before I go to bed. I've done that for years so it's a real habit now, it just happens automatically. I'm sure it will become easier for you, too.

Besides using a pill box, the thing that has helped the most for me is taking my meds with distinctly flavored juice that I only use for taking meds.  Like you could try grape juice or apricot or mango or something.  (but you might not want to use grapefruit juice as that can affect some meds.)

Associating the meds with a juice flavor makes it easier for me to remember if I took them.  For some reason the memory of that taste hangs around in my mind for a while, and reminds me to take them.  Maybe it also has some kind of behavioral reward effect because the juice tastes good to me.  Some people associate meds with some other activity like brushing teeth or whatever, but I find this to work better for me.

Edited by tamagotchi

I know myself well enough to realize that I can only be consistent with my meds if I take them all at the same time. I take all my meds at bedtime--well, except for the Adderall--if I don't take it by 10 am then I don't take it for that day.  

This ^^^

I also use a pill box. That way it's easy to remember to take all ad to tell if I took them or not.

I take my seroquel XR as soon as I get home from work, and it's become an ingrained part of my routine that I never forget.  I did go through a stage of missing the remainder of my meds (taken at bedtime), but I got round that by using a pill box that I always check before crawling into bed. So, as has been said above, I recommend creating a routine for yourself, and using a pill box.  Another suggestion would be setting alarms for yourself on your cellphone.

I used to do the same thing until I added an app to my phone (called "Dosecast"). It goes off in the am and pm with reminder buzzes/sounds every 5 minutes until I grab my phone and check it off. I also use pill boxes.

Jaytea, that Dosecast app looks pretty cool. I will have to try it, thanks.

I like it a lot. You can also postpone doses for a period of time. I do it if i'm at school late and can't take my night meds right when it goes off.

My meds are kept on coffee table so I remember to take them.  My problem is that I forget if I took them and not sure if I double dose sometimes.  I tried using a pill box but lack the discipline to fill it and keep track of them.   

I'm so unorganized it's a shock I remember to even take them on daily basis.  

My BF takes meds twice a day, 12 hours apart. He sets a phone alarm because he sleeps really odd times, for 3pm and 3am. I used a phone alarm for birth control pills, I set it to a loud, obnoxious tone.

Taking meds once a day is a great suggestion if they're available in extended formulas. If not, I SWEAR by my pill box. I got it for $2 at the Dollar Store. 4 times a day with 7 days I can take out as individual days, easier if I go away overnight.

My pharmacy does this for free, they blister pack medication.They'll give you 2 weeks worth, free of charge, just an extra wait (they usually ask me to come the next morning) Sunday-Saturday labelled with 4 slots a day. You punch it out the tinfoil backing, take it, and its larger and visible. 

Some pharmacies charge for blister packs, call around. Many places like Wal-mart offer it free. They were a lifesaver when I was away at college. hard to lose a pill, too!  Good luck.

I forget everything all the time.  I'm awesome like that.  So I have an app on my phone that allows me to set many alarms throughout the day and I can name them.  So now I have alarms that go off on my phone that tell me what I'm supposed to take.

If you have an android, it's called Alarm Clock Plus.  I'm sure Apple and Windows phones have apps as well.

Because I know I forget things - I use tools to help myself remember.  It's better than beating yourself up about not taking pills.  I'm sure there are tons of other things you could be beating yourself up about.  :smartass:

Edited by ScullyClone

I rely on my pillbox completely. I also keep it on my bedside so I can visually see the box for my day and nighttime meds. Before that I was missing days, forgetting if I had even taken them and was doubling doses all the time.

You just have to make it a priority in your daily routine.

I used a pill box before I went to the pain clinic, but for most of my meds, as long as I took them *sometime* during the day, I was okay. The pain clinic gave thousands of vitamins and pills, to take at a particular time. So I got a HUGE "two week" pill box, and use the top for the AM and the bottom for the PM. There is no way I could just look at al the pills and remember which goes when. It seriously take me an hour+ to refill the thing for a week.