CrazyBoards.org

Can't sleep :(

Have you tried benadryl?  IT is OTC.  I take it sometimes to help sleep, but not every day because I tend to build up a tolerance to it fast. 

Ambien did not work well with me.  I was foggy all the time, had no memory of things I had done an hour before.  Just it didn't agree with me.  However there are some people that I've read on CB who rely on it to help sleep.

I'm on Seroquel XR, Gabapentin and Klonopin at night. Seroquel (not XR) knocked me flat out. In tiny doses, 25mg or so, its a very good sleep med. Remeron is good too, but I'd eat everything in sight before I went to bed, wake up hungover. Temazepam is quite popular, its a benzo, no hangover, but tolerance is a possibility. 

In the Sleep Disorders forum, I found this useful tidbit: http://www.crazyboards.org/forums/index.php/topic/147-cant-sleep-insomnia-well-this-might-help/

A lot of sleep meds can build up a tolerance. Benadryl has to be taken in small doses, it has been known to cause psychosis in larger (I believe, 150mg and up. Standard dosage is 25mg over the counter). I find benadryl makes me sleepy, but I'm still awake. It's best to talk to your doc before taking anything over the counter, not saying its a bad idea, but always tell your doctor or pharmacist before taking anything in addition to Rx meds.

Not sleeping is the worst. I hope you can get some good sleep soon.

I'm the wrong person to ask since I have been running into the same problem, although I would highly suggest to NOT take rozarem as it made me a manic disaster. Other than that we are trying to put me to sleep with 10mg abilify and 2mg of lorazepam.

You're welcome girl hope that helps. So far it's seemed to give me more sleep then I've had in awhile, even if I still wake up some it's been helping a lot more.

My total Rx just to give you an idea:

Lamictal 50mg (titrating up) -take in morn since it makes me hyper

Abilify-40mg, take 3-10mg throughout day to help with mania and then take my last 10mg at night.

Ativan- 4mg total, 2mg day and then 2mg at night with Abilify

Edited by Erinface

I have trouble sleeping too - have you tried doxylamine (restavit) its OTC in most countries - I can only use it occasionally as tolarance buillds fast but I average 5 hrs with it, sometimes more. I know it's not much but it's enough to get me through the day as sometimes I won't sleep at all - it's a sedating anti-histamine and on wikipedia it is stated as more sedating then some prescription hypnotics. Hope this helps :- )