CrazyBoards.org

I feel like I don't need my APs anymore

I'm not asking if I should come off them, I still have 5 months to go on them but my concentration problems are gone, weird feelings in the head are gone, brain numbness to pleasure is gone, and my delusions don't pop in to my head or interest me anymore, I am over it, it's like a distant memory.

Is this a sign I have recovered or is this normal on meds so then if I come off it all gets worse?

Have you considered that perhaps it's more that the drugs are working, than that you're "over it"?

^THIS. 

You will know that by when this effect appeared - if it appeared about a month after starting one of your antipsychotics its that, if not then you may be better off and can titrate down to see what happens.

Have you considered that perhaps it's more that the drugs are working, than that you're "over it"?

^THIS. 

You will know that by when this effect appeared - if it appeared about a month after starting one of your antipsychotics its that, if not then you may be better off and can titrate down to see what happens.

This is bunk. I respond within days. Some people take longer than a month.

ScrambleHead, consider it the meds giving your brain a break by helping it along, and hope that your brain can manage the same on its own when your docs say it's time to try.

The meds started working after about a month, I have been on them for about 7 months, and my doctor told me I needed to be on them for a year.

I have only started feeling over it in the past couple of weeks.

For a lot of folks, this is the time you need to be even more vigilant about taking your meds. It's tempting to think you're all better. Chances are, it's the meds that are making you feel better. Stick with the plan you have with your pdoc.

The meds started working after about a month, I have been on them for about 7 months, and my doctor told me I needed to be on them for a year.

For a lot of folks, this is the time you need to be even more vigilant about taking your meds. It's tempting to think you're all better. Chances are, it's the meds that are making you feel better. Stick with the plan you have with your pdoc.

Its obviously not if the meds started working 6 months before now and he has started feeling better a few weeks before now.

Your doctor gave you a stamp time because how could anyone know? If you feel better now then you are better now and what you do with that is up to you. I think if you get off medication the most reasonable way is to titrate slowly.

Edited by konings

Its obviously not if the meds started working 6 months before now and he has started feeling better a few weeks before now.

Your doctor gave you a stamp time because how could anyone know? If you feel better now then you are better now and what you do with that is up to you. I think if you get off medication the most reasonable way is to titrate slowly.

We don't know that. It could be that the meds were changed. It could be that with the symptoms under control, the OP is finally feeling confident that the meds are doing their job and life doesn't suck as much as it did. Sometimes, something "clicks" and you feel better. There is no timeline for any of this. 

As far as being given a year goes, some pdocs do this. I've seen it happen with other people here. Their pdoc will say that after getting the symptoms under control that if they can go for a year with no symptoms then they can try a taper. It's worth a try so long as you're prepared to take the risk and willing to get back on meds if the symptoms return. 

We don't know that. It could be that the meds were changed. It could be that with the symptoms under control, the OP is finally feeling confident that the meds are doing their job and life doesn't suck as much as it did. Sometimes, something "clicks" and you feel better. There is no timeline for any of this. 

As far as being given a year goes, some pdocs do this. I've seen it happen with other people here. Their pdoc will say that after getting the symptoms under control that if they can go for a year with no symptoms then they can try a taper. It's worth a try so long as you're prepared to take the risk and willing to get back on meds if the symptoms return. 

No shit WE dont know that. The OP may know that though, it depends on how deluded he is. The sad thing is the more deluded you are the worse your ability to assess yourself, but the OP doesnt sound deluded to me.

Talk with your pdoc and then double check with your pdoc again. I have always found that my decision is not exactly the correct one, and also the best thing for me 90% of the time is just to stay on the medicine. This illness will be with me for the rest of my life if not the majority so why not treat it?

Schizzoaffective/ Depressive Type

Depakote/ Risperdal/ Wellbutrin XL/ Citalopram

• 1 month later...

I had drug induced psychosis so that's the only reason why I'm trying it off of meds right now.  I took the Invega Sustenna shot and I regret it every day because I didn't know at the time that it stays in your system 4-8 months so technically I'm not completely off of meds since the shot I took was only 2 months ago.  I stopped taking the shot.  I feel normal now and have been off of marijuana for 6 months and plan on never doing it again.  Hope you get to try going off your meds or maybe lowering the dose.  I don't know about you but I'm having horrible side effects from Invega.  

• 4 weeks later...

I went off the meds in conjunction with therapy sessions to better understand the reasons why I became psychotic in the first place. I also did this In conjunction with a juice diet - where I would only drink fruits and vegetables, no eating solids or anything like that. This helped me lose excess weight gained through my treatment and increase my overall self confidence.

Also by eating healthily, this has helped me physically, mentally and psychologically. I quit medication in August and through better understanding of myself have been able to identify when my thought process is becoming a bit skewed. So far I have been able to maintain control. Unreasonable thoughts rarely happen and I am able to nip these in the bud as soon as there is any hint of them appearing. To remain grounded in reality it is important never to self indulge in fantasy.

People are not out to get you - you are not really all that important to them. Again an ego issue.

A note of caution - this has been the path I have chosen. But for others who have gone off medication, it has not worked out so well. Everyone is different and somewhere out there you should be able to find the best path for yourself to follow.

My therapist who has counselled numerous people in the past has informed me she managed to council many entirely off medication with no reoccurrence of symptoms. So do note that in spite of misconceptions within the psychiatric community - if done right - the prognosis is much better than they would care to admit.

Just my 2 cents.