CrazyBoards.org

Good AAP to add with Abilify and Lamictal?

How much Abilify are you on? Have you explored raising the dosage rather than adding another med? Just curious.

I've taken most of the AAPs and APs. Telling you which worked for me really won't help you much in figuring out what works for you. One thing I will suggest is that if you start taking one of the AAPs that tend to cause weight gain, you may want to explore using Metformin as well. It makes a big difference in a lot of folks.

Oh, and what type of symptoms are you having? Some meds work better than others, depending on the symptoms. 

If you are still hypo, I'd suggest increasing your dose or changing to another AAP. Abilify can be too much like an AD for some with bipolar. Generally, unless things have changed, it's preferable to take only one AAP unless other options are exhausted because you run a higher risk of side effects including movement disorders. I don't understand why your pdoc would want to just slap on another without trying an increased dose or other meds instead.

Zyprexa probably has the best reputation for bringing people down fast. You will likely gain weight, so you want to use it for the shortest time and the lowest dose that will get you stable. Seroquel comes to mind, too. It takes longer to kick in but it's really sedating so that can be helpful in the interim. 

Well, we went up to 30mg on the Abilify but it's not working as well as it should. For now we are just gonna up the lamictal but still may think of another AAP....

I should add that seroquel does nothing for me except make me fat! :(

If you need a quick comedown, Zyprexa is the best AAP, even though it does make you hungry.

Abilify made me hypomanic or mixed and caused bad akathasia.

I haven't checked interactions, but many typical AP's, like haldol (not as bad as people make it. I didn't mind it) can help. A lot of them don't have the huge hunger/weight gain as AAP's. sylvan, one of the admins, swears by the typical AP's.