CrazyBoards.org

Hi everybody!

A while ago I asked about switching to MAOIs from tricyclics. I ended up switching from imipramine to clomipramine instead with (surprise!) no results. Now I'm actually making the switch from clomipramine to Nardil/phenelzine. I just wanted to know of anybody who has been on Nardil, what side effects they had and how they found it, especially those suffering from severe or treatment resistant depression.

I have a history of serotonin syndrome which worries me a bit but I'm going up slow (15mg a week) with a seven day washout. Hopefully, since my SS is usually caused by combinations of tricyclics with Pristiq, I will be okay but I'd like to know if anybody else has had problems and what helped/didn't.

I am scared but I always hate switching meds and I'm pretty miserable at the moment as well. If anybody wants to talk to me that'd be great. I'm exhausting myself worrying and just want concrete information, be it good or bad, to arm myself against the fancy conjured by my imagination.

Thanks gang.

I tried Nardil several months ago and developed Serotonin Syndrome.  This is not to say you will as everyone is different.  I ended up stopping it though b/c it wasn't helping my symptoms and my pdoc and I were both worried about SS.

I didn't have a problem with the diet.

I hope it works well for you.

Fuck! Sorry, I just really, really hate serotonin syndrome. Last time I got it so bad I couldn't walk more than five steps for a month. Hopefully if I do get it this time it'll be the less nasty variety because I can cope with that...

Is the new drug combo working for you?

I thankfully am restarting Nardil today.    I was on it for treatment resistant depression for 2 years with 80% success of beating down the dark depression and only being slightly hypo-manic.   All of my meds except ativan and advil were stopped for a while.    They now believe I had a viral overload and fibromyalgia flaring.

I will be taking 45mg Nardil at the end of 2 weeks - all at bedtime.  A couple times I did get a racing heart from drinking too much coffee on the Nardil.  I did not find the diet too difficult .  Find a modern list of diet and med restrictions - some are outdated.    When I did "cheat" on the diet it was only in small ways such as 1 piece of pizza with veggies (none of the restricted meats).   I eat a small handful of raisins on and off.   2 caffeinated drinks a day.   No aged cheese, meats, alcohol.   Yellow bananas - no speckles.   No decongestants.

For me it has proven to be be the most helpful treatment.  Works on many neurotransmitters.  Keep the doctor in the loop and this "older drug" could be great for you.   Be careful off the foods and meds that are limited or unacceptable.      

For me it worked quickly and well on my last try.   My best to you for better days ahead.

Is the new drug combo working for you?

Yes.  It is very effective...best I've been on in years.

Like I said, I hope Nardil works well for you.  Its definitely worth a shot.

I notice that you  have a big fuck you to Geodon. I have one, too. The stuff was very bad for me. Made me mixed manic, had temperature regulation problems, withdrawals within a few hours of dose. Even tried it twice to confirm that reactions were from this particular med. They were. Awful as far as I'm concerned. BUT. I'm posting because no other AAP has effected me like that. I get akathisia from a lot of them, but not all. Latuda has really changed my life for the better. I am stable, normal. Life is good in a way that it wasn't on other meds. I know that I have bipolar and you MDD, but trying stabilizers sometimes works for MDD. I want to encourage you to be open to trying other AAPs and stabilizers if the MOAI doesn't work so well. I hope it does, though. Good luck!

Latuda has really changed my life for the better. I am stable, normal. Life is good in a way that it wasn't on other meds... I want to encourage you to be open to trying other AAPs and stabilizers if the MOAI doesn't work so well. I hope it does, though. Good luck!

Thanks AnneMarie, I'm glad to hear you're doing well. I think if Nardil doesn't work the next step is Saphris or other AP's; we're trying to find something similar but less ridiculous than Geodon.

The reason I hate Geodon so much is not just the crippling side effects but because it really, really worked. It completely smashed my depression so having to stop taking it was like a slap in the face. But not only was I having severe Parkinsonian side effects I had crippling insomnia that couldn't be stopped by anything other than benzos, plus I had a bad reaction to the Parkinson's med that stopped the akathisia (an hour long full blown panic attack from one dose) so it became ridiculous trying to live on it.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By thebakerbunny
      Hi, all. I feel like a newb oldie: been on here a while, still feel dumb as shit with all the o chem breakdowns and acronyms.
      Anyway- I've been maxed out on effexor xr for years now. I've taken it pretty consistently for...12 years? with a few breaks to try something new. There aren't many details I can remember well (always had a bad memory, now it's basically a vestigial feature), but here's what I've garnered: 
      *SSRIs and i seem to not mix. Not just some side effects, but all the side effects, and no or negative improvement.
      *wellbutrin did nothing for me. Not good, not bad- just nothing. 
      *Effexor was good- great, even- before I tapped out. I've just been staying with it till I can figure something out.
      *currently, I take 225 mg Effexor (and several doctors have told me now that they flat out won't go above that), 150 lamictal, and klonopin and Ambien as needed. (And as I've been mightily depressed lately...I've been "as needing" them a lot more.)

I've been wanting to change for a while now, and I've been studying up to see what might be some better options, but haven't had a tdoc or pdoc in the meantime. I'm meeting new ones shortly and I want to take some suggestions to them. Problem is that I'm allergic to a few things, with varying degrees of severity and type of allergic reactions. Any suggestions of SNRIs, TCAs, or MAOIs that aren't: 
      *sulfa-meds (full body hives. Like...full body- between my toes, in my buttcrack...😬)
      *compazine (difficult breathing, light anaphylaxis.)
      *darvocet, Vicodin (full-blown anaphylaxis.)

I have been given morphine with no reaction (so, what- does this mean that synethics cause issues, but cleaner natural versions don't?), and take imitrex regularly. I'm not smart enough to understand all of the individual components, and too ADD to have the patience to learn which causes what.
      I feel like it's got be something pretty potent, since I've been middling- to severely-depressed pretty constantly (easily 8 out those 12 years), but I also don't need anything that's going to make me lethargic. Apathetic, fine- just please, no serious drowsiness.  
      I defer to you guys and gals and pals for what your thoughts are on what might be most effective, but also won't send me to the ER.

• By Skeletor
      I welcome you to rate all the psychotropic drugs which you took in the past or are taking in the present. A short explanation of your experience with the drug(s) would be helpful, so that we better understand your rating.
      Oh, and please tell us which conditions you treat(ed). Thanks.
      Rating Scale is from 0 to 5... "zero" being the worst, "five" being the best.
      _______________________________________________________________________________
      Sertraline 2 / 5 - subtle effects. Did help with psychosomatic ailments, derealization and cognition, but caused SSRI-typical apathy & indifference. Not sure if it did anything for my social anxiety and psychomotor agitation. At most minor effects. I did take it for two years.
      Mirtazapine 2 / 5 - elephant tranquilizer. Didn't like the severe sedation. Didn't sleep well on it, bad dreams. Caused RLS. Was good for appetite, weight gain and IBS. I was on it for two weeks.
      Promethazine Syrup / Drops 20mg / ml | 3 / 5 - I rather liked that one. At a lowish dose (15 drops or so) it has a nice calming effect on me, without sedating me too much. Lowers anxiety and agitated states. Brings order into chaos. Good for appetite and stomach. I take it occasionally.
      N-acetylcysteine (NAC) 2.5 / 5 - Is a good supplement. Heightened focus, less derealization, world seems more colorful. Interesting stuff. Definitely worth a try.
      Conditions treated: Anxiety, depressive states, psychomotor agitation, somatization disorder.
    • By Skeletor
      Sertraline standalone makes many people somewhat apathetic, indifferent and unmotivated, and that's why doctor Gillman suggests augmenting it with Nortriptyline OR alternatively taking Clomipramine standalone for the full SNRI effect...
      Did anyone here try both combos? I am getting back on antidepressants and not sure how to proceed... but if I had to choose, I would preferably go for one of the two possibilities.
    • By Sugarcraze
      I was prescribed Vraylar as a mood stabilizer for MDD, which I have been diagnosed with for 20 years, along with ADHD and social anxiety. Until I Vraylar gave me an acute manic episode for over a year, which I hid from my doctor because it was so much better than being depressed. But then I came clean and we realized I actually had hypomanic episodes about 2ce a year, but didn’t realize it, I just thought I had some energy. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone else has had this reaction to Vraylar?
    • By InkBlot2771
      Hi there,
      I've just started using CBD oil. Has anyone had any experience of using this?