CrazyBoards.org

Pushing family away and aggressive

Has anyone experienced this before? I'm trying to get over a depressive episode which started over a week ago. It all started on the train when someone asked me to turn my ipod down and then I was up yelling aggressivly towards her. Then I snapped out of it and apologised but it triggered a major downward spiral in which i became very suicidal. Then a major alcohol binge started in which I was hurling abuse at my family and I ended up in hospital overnight in short stay for observation. It has really upset me as I've always been a very gentle person and wouldn't hurt a fly - I'm starting therapy next week as they don't take me seriuosly in hosp, they just say keep saying to stay on lexapro but it doesn't seem to be working. Today I feel really heavy in my heart and apathetic - don't want to do anything

Edited by AroundtheWorld82

Who gave you the prescription for Lexapro? You may want to consider going back to them and seeing about an adjustment in your dosage or maybe changing meds or adding an additional one. You didn't say how long you've been on Lexapro. It may be that you haven't given it a good chance to work. It can take weeks.

Therapy may very well help. Oh, and I bet the alcohol isn't helping any. You really need to not go on an alcohol binge. You may think it's helping but in reality, it really isn't. 

I did this for years (push family away and was very mean).  Part was because of delusions that they were out to get me, and that they never believed what I said.  Over time though, once the cocktail I am on was like it is now (see sig), I started to come to realize how important family is and we all get along now.  It is so much better this way.

I have been on lexapro ever since I got out of IP in June and my family practioner prescribed it as I saw him not long after and the only other meds I'm on are anti-thyroid meds for my hyperthyroidism but my levels are nudging toward normal so I think I need to increase my lexapro dosage as it doesn't seem to be helping much and personally, I think it's more than just my throid activity but I'll guess I'll see when I have it surgically corrected soon. Am trying really hard to stay off the alcohol as it's not helping with the mood swings. Initially I feel better, then 10 times worse.

I have pushed many people away, luckily for me the man in my life hasn't left me after 7 years. Alcohol is a depressant so it might like seem the answer but

it rarely turns out to be ( I know from bitter experience). Perhaps you could mention to your Doctor that you sometimes drink to make yourself feel better?

I have and they adjust my levels of medication.

Hope you find something that works for you soon.

Thanks all - an increase/adjustment in meds is what I have been hinting at to the drs. They are just happy to sit back and say it's my thyroid - who knows, guess I'll have to wait and see. I am really going to try and stay away from the self medicating. I have relapsed so many times before but going to give it another go.