CrazyBoards.org

Sign in to follow this  
LonelyArtist

What do your voices sound like? How loud? How often? How do you cope?

What do your voices sound like? How loud? How often?

Most importantly, how do you cope with them on a daily basis even with medications?

Voices sound like other people (exactly like the person I hear the voice of).  They can be loud or quiet; it just depends on if they want to piss me off or not.  Right now, I don't hear them much anymore because the medication is working.

I cope with them on a daily basis now by ignoring them, or drowning them out with loud music on my ears.  That took a long time to learn how to do.  Actually, I didn't learn it; it just slowly happened over time and now I rarely "talk" back to them.

My voice(s?) is/are male, usually in whispers and I can't make out what they're saying, or chatter in my head that is just that...chatter. I drown them out by putting a dvd on at night while I'm trying to fall asleep, music during the day, or just..making myself really busy so I can't think about them.

My voices change depending on how psychotic I am. Usually it's just chatter and voices that answer my questions (usually the answers feed into my delusions and paranoia), but when I get more psychotic I hear laughing and screaming as well. They can get quite loud.

I cope by drowning them out with music, TV, or by simply trying to ignore them.

My voices that I hear are male almost always. They usually tell me bad things to scare me or say stuff that makes me more paranoid than I already am. It's hard because I want to like people in my life and trust others but it's difficult to feel suspicious of everyone.

They can get very loud and can shout at times at me.

I hear them daily. There is no relief for me but learning to cope by distraction and also ignoring. Though that does not always work and I'm stuck to suffer with them and the thoughts that they provoke. The voices cause constant rumination about the thoughts they provoke. That is the worst. For example, "they are going to steal from you and beat you to death." Well I hear that and I panic because it makes me feel so paranoid and scared. I can't stop thinking about it.

It sucks. This has been happening more to me lately because I am going through a slow med change.

I would have to say that when off medication is when I hear the voices of whatever place that they come from. My voices usually sound like whispers and they answer questions that I usually can ask without saying anything out loud. They also somewhat make up a circle of stories that usually surrounds me and I always get caught up in the stories and end up getting sick and not realizing what is really going on which is awkward because you would think that someone would recognize when they are hearing things that they should do something.

Schizzoaffective Disorder

Depakote/ Risperdal/ Wellbutrin XL/ Citalopram

My voices usually sound like whispers and they answer questions that I usually can ask without saying anything out loud.

This is how it all started for me.

They also somewhat make up a circle of stories that usually surrounds me and I always get caught up in the stories and end up getting sick and not realizing what is really going on

Same with me.  Fortunately I can pretty much distinguish between what is real and not real now.  When I used to finally realize that nothing I had believed was true, it was really scary coming back into reality again because I'd been so out of touch with it for so long.

Yeah with me it is kind of scary but also embarassing coming back into reality. The things that I started to believe and laugh about or get mad about in front of other people was usually completely insane or unbelievable. That's my voices though I don't know about others. I know that through the 10 years that I have had some sort of Schizophrenia I have pretty much got my disorder under control.

Schizzoaffective Depressive Type

Depakote/ Risperdal/ Wellbutrin XL/ Citalopram

My voices are always negative, doesn't help when my friends and family tell me to think positively but here at CB, we know we can't help what pops into our head. I've distictly heard (like someone is there) an elderly lady. I've seen her once and she spoke to me in the dark. She just said hello over and over and I thought she was a ghost. That was years ago but lately she has been calling my name. The last time was when I was finishing work. She was screaming my name and I looked everywhere then ran away. Also I hear other things that are not voices. The one I hear the most is like a menacing music/vibrating noise, if that makes sense. Ive given up looking for whatever the noise is as it follows me everywhere. Ive recently told my family about my voices but they just give me 'the look' if you know what I mean.

Sometimes I don't hear voices for months, and there are other times that I hear voices on and off throughout the day. The volume varies as well. When I am completely psychotic then they are louder. At first though the warning signs are whispering voices. I hear both male and female voices. A long time ago I heard an angel. Haven't heard her in a long time. I also have male voices, and I miss one of them. The Random Phrase Guy was funny. He just says random things that sometimes doesn't make sense. He made me laugh. The other voice, Mike, is a government agent that has told me many things. What is freaky about him is that awhile ago he told me of government technologies that was classified information. It was declassified a few months or a year after and he was right. Told me of events or showed me visions of psychic powers. When I am having a vision, I am in that place where the event was going to happen. I was THERE. For example one of the visions was of a airliner that was going to crash. I saw it while on the way home, but it was so vivid I was actually there and not in the car. It took over me. A few days later, in 2009 was the Air France disaster which was one of the deadliest airplane crashes. I have visions of my own family as well as world disasters. One time I was in a store and I was suddenly in a hospital seeing my mom being infected with something. Not so long after, it came true. Now I am on Latuda and it helps. Music also helps when I am having problems. 

Hi all, hope you don't mind me intruding here.  I don't know what actually constitutes the "voices" but my own voice just witters on all day/sometimes at night and I just want to tell myself to shut the hell up sometimes! Is this more along the lines of normal or could this constitute a "voice"? Just want to understand what the whole thing means.  Not trying to be an arse about it, just wanting to get educated more on this subject.  Cheers! :)

Hi all, hope you don't mind me intruding here.  I don't know what actually constitutes the "voices" but my own voice just witters on all day/sometimes at night and I just want to tell myself to shut the hell up sometimes! Is this more along the lines of normal or could this constitute a "voice"? Just want to understand what the whole thing means.  Not trying to be an arse about it, just wanting to get educated more on this subject.  Cheers! :)

I have this same thing and my therapist says it's just how I think.  As far as the "witters on all day/night", that stopped when I started Lamictal, then it pooped out and now I'm on Lithium.  No more nattering on all day and night.  

I do have some other issues related to that that the therapist and my GP didn't know how to classify.  Pdoc in a month hopefully can explain.  I get these moments when the "thoughts" start screaming and I have to put my hands over my ears and say something out loud to make it stop, I can't see when it's happening either.  It's not a seizure because I remember every moment of it.  It's not exactly anything so I have hopes for the pdoc explaining whether it's serious or just a feature of my mania.

i'm not on psych meds at the moment.  i hear the Voices all the time, every day and sometimes in my dreams as well if i'm really stressed or physically ill.  there are lots of Them and the volume varies according to mood/activity.  one group that is unique is the japanese country-western band that sings in 4-part harmony about sushi and kwanzaa.  They are really good singers but sometimes get in the way of concentrating.  my iPod is my friend in terms of the Voices: sometimes i can get Them all to sing along with the music.  i listen to a wide range of music per Their request (everything from classical to hymns from the 1860s to rock to jazz).  it's a good thing i like music or else i'd be miserable.

One voice sounds like someone speaking over a scratchy PA system yelling my name. The other one is scarier, it tells me to do things to myself and sounds like James Earl Jones. I guess I'm lucky that my medication has helped, I haven't heard either one in a while.

Mine started off as a sort of conversation in my mind, so I could talk to them without saying anything aloud. Then it grew into a full blown identity and the whispers would sound more like someone standing right beside me talking. For me hallucinations accompanied this; so when it was whispers I didn't have any hallucinations apart from shadows then as it sounded like talking beside me the shadows turned into the voice so when the voice was talking it wouldn't just sound like someone next to me was talking, i'd be able to see them too.

Edited by The one lurking behind you

i used to hear a male voice. It was loud and used to tell me to bite myself. I'm fortunate that my last hospital stay cleared up my thinking.