CrazyBoards.org

The Newest Shooting in D.C. (10/3/13)

Very, very irritating.

I was watching *a specific news channel* and during the incident they had a "expert" saying his "professional opinion" on why this woman was doing this. His professional opinion? Either 1) she is a disturbed woman or 2) she had road rage. You mean the fact that 800,000 people have no job and no paycheck this term, doesn't even make the list? It's absolutely ridiculous.

I just heard on the news it was post-partum depression.

Yes, I heard this too. They also said she was delusional & having hallucinations (also a "very serious head injury while she was pregnant"). Although she was never diagnosed with any psychosis, just depression. According to the news she was on Risperidone and a SSRI Antidepressant (forgot which one), and they said "she was on an antipsychotic, she had to be psychotic!" which we know is not always true.

I suppose however, we will never truly know the motive, if there was any one at all.

You should read some of the ignorant stigma filled comments on the CNN article stating she was on risperdal and lexapro.

People are blaming "big pharma." They are saying the meds caused this.

A "professional Dr who has never even met with this woman" was also speculating on her case. Key word : speculating. That Dr has no right and no idea to be judging what happen in this case.

Its very sad that people are always quick to report if a person committing a crime is MI. No reporting on whether the person committing a crime was on a blood pressure med or lyrica for nerve pain. You would never ever hear of that report. But nooooooo, psych meds are evil and cause everyone who takes them to commit violent crimes. Hell every Mi person can be violent too! I know all of us CB people are so fucking violent. (insert heavy dose of sarcasm).

In Reality the sad truth is that we are much more likely to be violent towards ourselves, what with suicides or SI or what have you.

And we cannot forget that MI people are more likely to be victims of violent crimes rather than committing them.

I'm just sick reading all of those ignorant comments full of stigma at its worst. Please don't even bother reading the comments. They are not for the faint of heart. I'm just so sad that people still actually think that way. What, are we in the stone ages here? Have we made no progress in letting the general public know the truth about what MI's and the meds that treat them are about?

The media is very much to blame for this. Like I said, you would never NEVER hear about if a person who committed a crime was taking meds for a physical illness like diabetes or arthritis. "Man who killed his famly took metformin for type II diabetes." There is no way that that statement would ever be a headline in the news. Now how many times have you heard this or something eerily similar : "Man who killed his family took risperdal which is used to treat bipolar and schizophrenia."

People are always looking for a concrete cause to quell their fears. "No sane person could have done that." "That couldn't ever be me." "He was bipolar and that's why he did X Y and Z." People don't like to think that there "normal" neighbor Jane Doe could commit a violent crime either. Because people who commit violent crimes are often just evil, impulsive, ignorant bastards. Not always but often. No one likes to think that. It's way easier to think and to blame. "That person was crazy and that's why this happened."

But I know I'm preaching to the choir here. Thanks for letting me rant.

You should read some of the ignorant stigma filled comments on the CNN article stating she was on risperdal and lexapro.

People are blaming "big pharma." They are saying the meds caused this.

A "professional Dr who has never even met with this woman" was also speculating on her case. Key word : speculating. That Dr has no right and no idea to be judging what happen in this case.

Its very sad that people are always quick to report if a person committing a crime is MI. No reporting on whether the person committing a crime was on a blood pressure med or lyrica for nerve pain. You would never ever hear of that report. But nooooooo, psych meds are evil and cause everyone who takes them to commit violent crimes. Hell every Mi person can be violent too! I know all of us CB people are so fucking violent. (insert heavy dose of sarcasm).

In Reality the sad truth is that we are much more likely to be violent towards ourselves, what with suicides or SI or what have you.

And we cannot forget that MI people are more likely to be victims of violent crimes rather than committing them.

I'm just sick reading all of those ignorant comments full of stigma at its worst. Please don't even bother reading the comments. They are not for the faint of heart. I'm just so sad that people still actually think that way. What, are we in the stone ages here? Have we made no progress in letting the general public know the truth about what MI's and the meds that treat them are about?

The media is very much to blame for this. Like I said, you would never NEVER hear about if a person who committed a crime was taking meds for a physical illness like diabetes or arthritis. "Man who killed his famly took metformin for type II diabetes." There is no way that that statement would ever be a headline in the news. Now how many times have you heard this or something eerily similar : "Man who killed his family took risperdal which is used to treat bipolar and schizophrenia."

People are always looking for a concrete cause to quell their fears. "No sane person could have done that." "That couldn't ever be me." "He was bipolar and that's why he did X Y and Z." People don't like to think that there "normal" neighbor Jane Doe could commit a violent crime either. Because people who commit violent crimes are often just evil, impulsive, ignorant bastards. Not always but often. No one likes to think that. It's way easier to think and to blame. "That person was crazy and that's why this happened."

But I know I'm preaching to the choir here. Thanks for letting me rant.

I totally agree with this rant!  IMO you are just saying it like it is.

<snip>

I say that you should never read the comment section on CNN.com unless you want to immerse yourself in a tank of sub-human hatred and ignorance.  Those cretins make the YouTuber's seem like the Algonquin round table.