CrazyBoards.org

Can't sleep again!

So even though my sleep improved a little bit I'm back to not sleeping and having hallucinating dreams, smelling weird smells, or doing odd things in my sleep, oh and also thinking I'm doing things that I not. It's so vivid and weird. Anyways, pdoc is giving me some Ambien to sleep tonight. I have had a hallucinogenic side effect when I last took it, which was at age 14 but I was on other meds that might of messed it up at the time. So we are gonna get a second chance. Does anyone have any experience with Ambien? If that doesn't work what will? Seroquel, trazodone, rozarem, don't work for me :( I just want a non-manic sleep night...

Edited by Erinface

Focus on treating the hypo/mania. If not sleeping is an episodic thing corresponding to bipolar upswing, then you either need time for the antimanics prescribed to kick in or you need more antimanic. From what I've seen here, Abilify is never a very strong antimanic for some people, and for others, it's not until 20-30mg. It was too activating for me. Similarly, Lamictal is generally not a strong antimanic, certainly not at lose doses. It's more of an antidepressant than stabilizer for me. IIRC, those are your meds. If it was me, I'd want my pdoc to switch Abilify out for a decent dose of Zyprexa or Risperdal or Seroquel - AAPs with a better track record of shutting down mania. Once I was stabilized, I'd talk about switching that AAP for something like Abilify as a maintenance med. Just my 2 cents.

Ugh yeah, I need to do something because I have already had a crying episode, more mania, and lots of agitation still continuing since this no sleep thing. Not to mention I am withdrawing hard from pristiq! May call pdoc and see if I can go in tomorrow and not go to work. I feel so amped up, sad and mad!

Yes. Call your pdoc. You are either starting to rapid cycle or entering a mixed state. It can be hard to tell which at first. Neither is good. Call first thing and take a sick day. If you feel you need more time off, ask your pdoc about a leave of absence while you get your illness under control.

Edited by AnneMarie