CrazyBoards.org

during my last tdoc appointment. As i was leaving and my pdoc said "at least your smiling" i laughed and agreed. It wasnt that i was happy or wanted to, in fact i felt kind overwhelmed, It just feels like an automatic response. something to use in order to blend in

its not even a bad thing. But im just annoyed that i display this happy persona because doesnt everyone else?

anyone else have any default responses, like laughing. That they use to appear normal even if it betrays your real feelings

i do that.  laugh/smile when i don't mean it at all.  it is very useful with strangers but i wish i could stop doing it when i want to convey how i really feel.  like with a t/pdoc.   but it's automatic, like you said.

I have a tendency to unnerve people by laughing at the wrong things. I think part of it is trying to blend in and appear comfortable, but sometimes I find just things funny at the same time as thinking they are terrible. Maybe even because they are terrible (terrible to me, I wouldn't laugh at others' misfortune).

Edited by Ptolomy

wow yeah.  I'm really good at hiding the crazy.  I smile and act "normal" when really I feel awful inside.  I have this persona of a perfectly normal, happy, well functioning adult.  Sometimes it pisses me off.  I wish I could just act like I feel, but I've learned to hide it forever. Not sure how not to now.