CrazyBoards.org

Starting psych meds while abroud

Hey, guys. Short about the situation: About 3 weeks ago I moved to a foreign country to study. I now live about 12 hours away from my home country and it's been majorly difficult for me. Not only are the other exhange students majorly homophobic and act like haning out with me is a chore, but my boyfriend who has an arteriovenous malformation been sick and hospitalized with the looming threat of stroke. He's fine now, thank god, but the situation triggered both old trauma and my depression. I've been having daily anxiety attacks since I arrived and i desperately want to go home, but if I do the scholarship that is paying for this exchange will turn the scholarship into a loan that I have no chance at paying back. Needless to say I'm not really coping and I need help, specifically more psych drugs, bacause I cannot afford a psychologist in this country.

Here is my worries and questions:

Getting meds here is super easy, one simple consulation and I can get pretty much anything I ask for, no tests or nothing. This might be a good thing and bad thing, mostly cause I have been know to abuse prescription meds and having such easy acsess makes that super easy and I don't really trust myself. But it does mean I can get them quick and inexpensively, which i really need.

- Should I just research meds and choose one I like and ask to get that? This would be the simplest and cheapest way.

- OR should I contact my doctor back home, this would include calling him which is super expensive, and getting a hold of him is generally difficult.

- OR should I attempt to explaing my situation to pdoc here, despite a huge language barrier and then ask them to reccomend something and hope they understand me?

I'm really lost on what to do. And it doesn't help that even so called english speaking doctors here, generally don't know english well at all. Does anyone have any experience? Do you think it's too risky to just chose one myself, or is it okay if I research it properly?

Would you be able to contact your pdoc back home by email? Or could your parents do the legwork of getting in touch with him? I do think involving him somehow would be the best thing to do. He might be able to mail you a prescription or write a letter for you to take to a local doctor (the letter could possibly be translated into the local language).

He doesn't have a mail. At least not a public one, so I would need to call to the clinic, and then ask for a time to call him and then I guess could ask him if he has a mail? But even the clinic doesn't seem to have a mail, so I would need to call just to ask.

I don't want my mother to know I'm starting more meds. I could ask my boyfriend maybe? Do you think that would work, or does it have to be a family member?

I think it is worth putting energy into trying to reach your pdoc.  Even if it's expensive to call.  Getting into the habit of prescribing your own meds is not something you want to do.  Even if you had no drug abuse history, it just isn't good for anyone to prescribe their own psych meds, even if they're a pdoc themselves.

You might be able to call him using Skype, the international phone calls with it are not very expensive (I am currently studying abroad and having to call my pdoc in my home country was a pain!) and I agree with the other arguments people mentioned. 

Edited by inabook

He doesn't have a mail. At least not a public one, so I would need to call to the clinic, and then ask for a time to call him and then I guess could ask him if he has a mail? But even the clinic doesn't seem to have a mail, so I would need to call just to ask.

I don't want my mother to know I'm starting more meds. I could ask my boyfriend maybe? Do you think that would work, or does it have to be a family member?

I think it would be okay for your BF to call. Your pdoc probably can't talk too much about your condition with him unless you've given prior permission but your BF can explain the situation to the clinic staff and arrange a way for pdoc to get in touch with you. 

Calling over Skype like Inabook mentioned is another good idea. It would probably be just a matter of cents for the phone call

I agree with getting in touch with your pdoc at home.  I think he would want to know what is going on.  I think if you call him, maybe you can let him know about the expense, and maybe he can/will call you on a regular basis if you ask, so he can be up-to-date with how you are.

Also, is it possible you're not as trapped as you feel? Is it possible there is a medical clause that will exempt the scholarship from turning into a loan if you turn out to be medically unable to complete the program? Just curious.

I realize I'm an ancient Luddite, but couldn't you write your pdoc a letter and explain things to him?  He should get it in a couple of days, and in the letter you could ask him the best way to reach him.  He may have experience something similar with other patients, or know a colleague who has. 

Skype is a great idea if you can get your doctor to agree. 

Also, I think you may be able to find a doctor where you're at that speaks good English, although it may take a bit of looking around.

I have lived overseas before and understand how unsettling it can be.

• 4 weeks later...