CrazyBoards.org

My DBT therapist is leaving in December. When she told me this in our session, I dissassociated and said something like, "Ok, that's alright. I can just pick up where we left off with the therapist you chose of me." But at the same time, I feel as if this was NOT was I was truly feeling. I AM SO ANGRY that she is leaving the DBT program and and angry that this is happening to me. WHY ME?!?!?!?! I have drank a six pack and a 22 oz bottle so far but am still so depressed about it. How do I deal with this????!?!?!?!

• 2 weeks later...

It is a horrible disappointment, DBT forms a bond between therapist and client.

Part of managing distress and having healthy relationships can be using coping skills to deal with endings. It is understandable to feel pain, I get that.

Do you have supportive people around? Anyone to talk to? Even a helpline? It would be a safe move to find some help.

It makes sense to want to numb your pain. I won't say I too don't relapse,it took years to give up self harm during my DBT therapy. All I can say is being kind and compassionate with yourself helps the pain pass, there is still pain, but sometimes pushing it away intensifies it.

Do you have a way to communicate with your therapist that feels safe, email, letter, meeting?

Yeah, I can text her and call her whenever I want.

I actually completely forgot that I wrote this post. But obviously, it was because I was drunk out of my mind.

I have since talked to her about it and that I am scared of the future. My minimum 6 months is up in January. I think that is the most disappointing thing. I have a great support in my Mom. My boyfriend has schizoid bipolar, so he isn't always.... present.

I completely agree that pushing it away is never good. It seems to make it worse. It comes back to you and hits you harder. Radical acceptance is kind of the biggest skill to use right now. What else can there be other than just accepting? No matter how desperate I become, she is still leaving. AND it has nothing to do with ME. That's what I have to keep reminding myself :)