CrazyBoards.org

Antectdotally, Prozac or Lexapro more stimulating?

in all likelihood, it comes down to personal chemistry. i found lexapro stimulating. i found prozac stimulating. i found zoloft stimulating. i found them all stimulating in the hello-i-would-like-to-PUNCH-YOU-IN-THE-TEETH kind of stimulating, and that is when i figured out that SSRIs were not gonna work for me. prozac made me more anxious than lexapro did, but someone i know with a long long history of panic and GAD loved prozac to bits. anecdotally, i believe prozac is considered the most stimulating.

as ever, ymmv. whee.

Do you think this psychomotor restlessness can be helped by Buspar? 

What have you guys done to alleviate the negative stimulant effect? 

I noticed when I was on Celexa that although I may have been more productive, my throat would clench up all the time and I'd be all tense.

Halation-  That's really interesting about how Prozac helped your friend with anxiety.  It seems from all the evidence that it would make ppl more anxious and restless. 

Zoloft was the only one I found remotely stimulating, the others were neutral.

With the possible exception of zoloft which has a slight effect on DA, the anxiety should just be a startup side effect that fades by the time the med comes to full effect assuming there are no bi-polar issues at play.

Even zoloft is indicated for the treatment of anxiety though. 

Stimulating does not always equate to anxiety inducing.

As a rule of thumb, psychiatric medications are supposed to make you feel less crazy, not more.  If they are making you go apeshit, something ain't right.

Prozac - not stimulating

Lexapro - caused me to sleep 18+ hours a day the first month I was on it

You decide...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

1. how was prozac "not stimulating?"  Did it make you tired, or did it just not stimulate you?

2. I had this same experience with lexapro the 2nd time around.  Did the somnolence eventually go away?????

fluoxetine (generic Prozac) seemed weird in both directions at first, and then I had some giddy episodes, and I guess one time I got so giddy it was unpleasant for a few minutes. After a while, tho, it's seemed fairly neutral. I vaguely recall not sleeping all that well for the first couple of weeks and then sleeping better than ever.

Hi there,

I've tried Prozac twice, with and without a mood stabilizer. Both trials with Prozac made me ape-shit crazy. I was so anxious. Painfully anxious. I couldn't sleep, couldn't eat, etc. When I was in bed, the adrenaline coursing though my body caused the bed to shake. It also triggered a mixed-episode.

I didn't find Lexapro activating at all. I took 20mg, but found it just didn't do anything. (Well, at least not enough.)

It's amazing how everyone reacts differently to the same medications.

fluoxetine (generic Prozac) seemed weird in both directions at first, and then I had some giddy episodes, and I guess one time I got so giddy it was unpleasant for a few minutes. After a while, tho, it's seemed fairly neutral. I vaguely recall not sleeping all that well for the first couple of weeks and then sleeping better than ever.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

1. Have you ever been ONLY on fluoxetine alone?  And if so, do you find that it's effects spill over and help some with your inattentive ADD?  (i have this also)

What was the order in which you arrived at your current cocktail?  Did you try Wellbutrin after prozac or wellbutrin first? 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

1. Have you ever been ONLY on fluoxetine alone?  And if so, do you find that it's effects spill over and help some with your inattentive ADD?  (i have this also)

What was the order in which you arrived at your current cocktail?  Did you try Wellbutrin after prozac or wellbutrin first?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

1. Yeah, for about a month. Not much effect on ADD. In fact, I was diagnosed AFTER I started taking it. Before that I think they figured I was spacy because I was depressed.

2. Prozac, Adderall, Welbutrin

Archived