CrazyBoards.org

"Wow, you must REALLY be crazy!" (Re: PDOCS)

CrankyMe

I think it is funny how the general public view pdocs. Tdocs, that's no big deal - therapy is so common these days that most people don't even blink an eye when you mention a therapist.

But HOLY SHIT if you mention a psychiatrist. I think, in the minds of people who have never seen or intimately know someone who has seen a pdoc, that they think pdocs are reserved for the SUPER CRAZY like psychotic killers, pedophiles or the lady who fully believes she's Dolly Parton. Most people have no idea that, in today's world, pdocs are better classified as "medication managers". In fact, I've taken to referring to my pdoc as my "med management doc" so I don't have to explain what it is they do.

I've never encountered a pdoc that also provides talk therapy. They ALL are med managers in my experience. I wonder if they've ever been more hands-on than that or if that's just an urban legend of some kind. Know what I mean?

I'm with you, Cranky- every actual psychiatrist I've ever been to has only done 10-15 minute med checks then sent me on my way. Even when I was younger and saw a pediatric/adolescent (whatever) psychiatrist, there was never any talk therapy or anything like that.

That's really interesting, tryp, that your experience has been completely different from mine. I'm glad you get the benefit of therapy AND meds all in one. It feels like more complete care. My tdoc may tell my pdoc that I'm more depressed than usual, but what does that really mean to her, when I'm nodding and smiling for the 15 minutes I spend with her? I feel like there's a disconnect between my tdoc, pdoc and treatment overall.

That's funny! Most people I know have no clue what the difference is between a psychiatrist and a therapist, so I've never run into anyone thinking I super duper crazy because I see a p-doc. Really, they have no idea what the difference is, ha ha. 

I want my p-doc to do therapy too! The best I can get (and I'm happy for this) is a t-doc that tries really hard to talk to my p-doc for me. I like it whenever that happens, but typically they have to work in the same building. When my p-doc from 2007-2012 wouldn't accept that there was anything wrong with me other than anxiety, my t-doc went in there with me and apparently by herself to try and get him to see that there was SOMETHING ELSE. . . he was too stubborn to see it no matter what though, heh. 

I suppose I never say "psychiatrist" either, now that I think about it. I always call him "my doctor." I don't think that's to hide anything, he IS my doctor. I see him the most. My GP is NOT my doctor, ha ha. GP is A doctor. 

Therapy isn't as prevalent here. For one, the costs are so high. You can get a referral for 12 sessions through your gp, but even then some of them won't give you it unless you beg, and even then 12 sessions is not enough and that's all you can get subsidised for a year. There are community clinics but you need a referal that is hard to get, and then it's really only through a public hospital if you don't have a pdoc. Health insurance is expensive and doesn't make it much cheaper. Okay, back to the question.  

I've told my friend that I see one, and I didn't get a reaction. But one day I mentioned that I wouldn't be in class cause I had to go to a pdoc appointment. So he said 'oh shit are you okay, what's wrong? ahhhhh' pretty much. Like you only go and see them if your mental health is in grave danger, I thought that was weird. I had to explain that you have 'check ups'. 

My pdoc just talks to me which is nice, she doesn't do 'therapy' and she doesn't go through CBT exercises but it's nice. I prefer her to my tdoc, but I've only seen him a few times so I'm kinda shy still.  Mine sends an email to my tdoc sometimes to remind them of things. 

My previous pdoc was really good about giving me the time I needed (within reason, duh) and didn't shove me out the door in 5 minutes. My current pdoc? Yea..$175 for 5 minutes of you staring at me, blankly? NO. But what can you do? There is a pdoc in the area who will see you for 45 minutes each session but I imagine that is a lot more expensive. I just think this psychiatry stuff takes time to sort through. It's not just going to the GP and saying "my toe is broken" (or whatever, poor example). It's complex stuff.

My pdoc is my therapist. Well, that's what I say. It's probably more proper to say that he does psychotherapy as well as med management.  I'm like tryp in that I've always had a pdoc that does both. I think it would be really odd to have someone try to prescribe my meds without knowing a lot about me. I've never understood the 15 minute med management appointments. How can they even know anything about you in 15 minutes every few months? 

At some points I was with pdoc weekly but it kinda leveled out to every 4-6 weeks with extra appointments/communication if need be. Now new pdoc has me at every 3 weeks or so. I tried to go 3 months in between but it didn't work out well due to my life circumstances at that time. I'm hoping to try 3 months again now that things seem pretty level.

My pdoc only does meds, but the appointments are 30 minutes...so he gets to know a decent bit about the status of my life. We just don't process it very much, talk about ways to handle it, etc--it's more like a check-in.

I don't think anyone other than my girlfriend and a few close college friends know that I see a pdoc. I work in a field where kids have therapists and psychiatrists, but it's just not talked about whether you have one. I think that's pretty appropriate though.

I tend to call my pdoc "my doctor" as well. She does therapy as well as med management, like most pdocs I've seen. Appointments tend to be hour-long, although my last pdoc offered 30 min appointments, too. I can only afford to go monthly, though so it's probably not frequent enough to do proper therapy. I spend most of the time just updating her on my current situation so she can decide what to do with meds. 

Weird, all my psychiatrists (and I've seen 5) always did a considerable amount of talking.

I don't know if that really qualifies as therapy (which I regard as bs anyway, and hey! Don't get offended! Good if it works for anyone I just don't see it fitting me) but they did ask me about my past, family, how social I am, how do I react in a myriad situations and just conversation about how I felt about my... well. my crazy. My last psychiatrist wanted to talk about my delusions in particular, which I found odd. I asked him what did it matter, it was just crazy delusions anyways, but he said it was important to him to know what kind and how bizarre they were.

[Also, if I remember correctly (I could as well not, I'm heavily medicated...), like a 100 years ago psychiatrists were more like psychologists in that they talked to you and tried to find the root of whatever problem you had in some life experience, something traumatic or from your childhood. This, in my humble opinion is caveman's way of dealing with MI, whatever causes my brain to go bat sh*t crazy I am sure is better explained by some brain chemical imbalance or deficiency than something like "you had no friends as a toddler"; which by the way is the modern (and MUCH MORE scientific) approach of psychiatry. That is why I am very much pro meds. Still, before ppl get p*ssed with me, I know meds are not always the whole picture and there are many who benefit from anything from tea, relaxation, meditation, all sorts of therapy and what not; and I am all up for it, whatever works for you I'm glad it works.]

Edited by Lemmiwinks

I call mine my dr. too. Only after someone close to me asks which one, I will say my psychiatrist, or meds doc. I have become so desensitized to the idea of all the crazy meds that I can't imagine how the average person would react to me taking them.

My appointments with my psychiatrist are 60minutes.  She provides medication management as well as psychotherapy.  And in her words, "If there ever comes a time that I am forced to do 15 minute med checks - I'm retiring!  That's not what I got into psychiatry for."  I still see a tdoc in addition to the pdoc.  I too, call my pdoc - my Dr. and when I tell someone I have an appointment, I just say, "I have a Dr.'s appointment."  No one ever presses for why I am going to the dr.

My daughter's psychiatrist - child - does med checks.  It's maddening and pisses me off.  I can understand med checks for adults, but not kids. child pdoc's are in high demand here. We don't have a lot of options - so quick med checks is what we have.

I have maybe 5 friends that know I see a pdoc.  They really don't care. I don't really care if/when they visit their pcp or ob/gyn either.  It is kind of looked at that way.  Most people really don't want to hear about my mental health problems and I am very uncomfortable sharing them.  So I don't talk about it or even mention it.  That's what the pros are for.

My pdoc is a psychiatric np and a psychologist so she does talk therapy in addition to my med stuff. And I see a tdoc. I've had experience with pdocs that only do the short visits and I didn't like it. I'm hoping I can continue seeing her for a long time b/c it's working really well for me.

I've never encountered a pdoc that also provides talk therapy. They ALL are med managers in my experience. I wonder if they've ever been more hands-on than that or if that's just an urban legend of some kind. Know what I mean?

The only pdocs I've ever had did talk therapy also.  So does my current one.  I see him about every 2 weeks for about 1/2 hour each time, more if I need it (to an extent). 

If people ask, I call him my psychiatrist because I have so many DRs that sometimes I need to specify depending on the content of the conversation. 

At this point in my life, everyone around me seems to know I see a pdoc, so when I mention it there is no major reaction.

The only pdocs I've ever had did talk therapy also.  So does my current one.  I see him about every 2 weeks for about 1/2 hour each time, more if I need it (to an extent). 

If people ask, I call him my psychiatrist because I have so many DRs that sometimes I need to specify depending on the content of the conversation. 

At this point in my life, everyone around me seems to know I see a pdoc, so when I mention it there is no major reaction.

much of this is the same for me

my psychiatrist (my main one) i see once a week for about forty five minutes

when i'm in the hospital he checks on me several times a week

i have a separate social worker/case manager, there's the psychiatrist that oversees days programs, who's different from php, who's different from the inpatient ones, the people who run groups...etc.

they all have a role.

i would say that the least i've seen my current main psychiatrist is once a month.