CrazyBoards.org

So.. I'm 21 years old and I've been in and out of treatment since I was 16. I'm a junior in college-- a year behind where I should be-- and I had therapy this morning and impulsively told my therapist that I was done with it all. I just spent 60 days of my summer at a residential program. I feel really frustrated. I invested my summer in this program and I'm not even at midterms yet and I'm already barely functioning (think: in bed for 4 days straight, only getting up to use the bathroom). It's not good. And it's been 5 years of not feeling good... and when I do feel good, I know that I'm going to lose the feeling quickly. I don't want to pay for therapy anymore because it's not helping. I don't know what else to do. I'm seeing my psychiatrist on Tuesday but I'm ready to taper off my meds and stop those too. I feel like if I'm going to be miserable, I don't need to be spending so much money every month to do it. I'm at a dead end nad I don't know what to do.

When you go to the pdoc and tell him/her this, they are more likely to change your meds to see if it helps. It can be as simple as an increase in meds. Sorry things are sucky right now. Don't give up though!

I know its extremely frustrating to work hard and take your meds and not find relief, but I really don't think you're going to find it by quitting therapy and meds.  It sounds like you could benefit from a med tweak or change.  It sometimes takes a while to find the right combo.  I don't deny that you are suffering, but I just think it would be worse if you quit everything.

Your response is typical of someone who has a chronic illness.  I went through something about 6 weeks ago.  ready to throw out all of the meds.  The only thing that kept me from doing it was the possibility of how bad the withdrawls would be. My pdoc assured me that this was common and is not exclusive to those that have a MI. 

I can imagine  the diabetic who was diagnosed at age 5 with Type I and is now in her 20's or 30's hits a point that she is tired beyond tired of the insulin and the pump and watching what she eats etc.  It has to get old.

I get tired of doing the things that I am supposed to be doing so I can remain stable.  Maybe I don't want to go to bed at the same time each night.  maybe I just want to skip that Seroquel and stay up most of the night.  Maybe I don't want to go work out and I just want to feed my face with crappy junk food.  I think you see where this is going.

As for my talk therapy with the tdoc, I stopped for a bit.  I just called it "taking a break."  I will go back when I feel like I need it. I didn't quit it, just taking a break.

As for the degree?  It took me 7 YEARS to get my Bachelors.  In the end, no one cares how long it takes.  That was 15 years ago.  Are you going full or part time?

We get where you are coming from and frustration.  Lay it out on the table for your pdoc tomorrow and hopefully you both can come up with a plan that works for you.  In the meantime, don't quit the meds without the pdoc.

I wouldn't quit taking the meds, you may be just worse off in the long run without taking them. a med tweak is probably the best option like everyone said. And, I wouldn't worry about being a year behind in school: the important thing is that you actually finish, not how long it takes you. Don't over stress yourself. I do hope you feel better but I don't think stopping the meds is the way to do it.

It took me about 6 years to finish my bachelors degree. A lot of ppl I know take anywhere from 5-8 years to finish them. Your not alone in that. Very few ppl finish in 4 years.

I felt like I'd never get through school. I had to force myself to keep plugging along. You just have to keep going. It's a hard goal to achieve but once you do you'll feel awesome cause it's a big accomplishment. Most ppl who start college never ever finish.

Your so young at 21. I didn't start college until I was in my 30's.

Edited by Energizerhoney