CrazyBoards.org

Last night when I was laying in bed, NOT asleep or even half-asleep, just laying there... a few distinct voices began talking in my head! One of them was an older woman's voice that was sort of deep like you would hear from someone who had been smoking for a long time... and I was frightened because she said something as clear as day... "Hello"... "My name is Louisa".... and before that, she had said a random word and it echoed in my head and I could feel that word and her voice melting down the side of my skull on the inside...

and the rest of the others talking plus her were talking and yelling out random words as clear as day and I had no control over them! It seriously seemed like numerous different people were inside of my head...

Should I be concerned? They haven't spoken to me today at all.

Edited by surreal

You should definitely tell your pdoc about the voices. Not saying this is what you have but do a search on hypnagogic and see if it sounds anything like what you were experiencing.

I have the types of voices that I am able to be calm with. They will begin talking and I am not scared or anything but as the number of voices rises and more talking starts then I begin to get frustrated. Hope everything gets better. I know how it can be. I find that the best thing for me is when I do not skip any doses of my medicine and also try to keep myself active. It's on the days that I don't do that when I am thrown off.

Schizzoaffective Disorder,Depression

Depakote 1500 mg /  Risperdal 2 mg /  Wellbutrin XL 300 mg /  Citalopram 10 mg

I would definitely tell your pdoc.  The sooner it is addressed it won't be as bad in the future.  With me, I let it go and didn't tell anyone and it all became so engrained in me that it pretty much can't be undone, even with medication.  Had I gotten help right away I would have been better off and medication would have probably gotten things under control more.

I had this but my pdoc says it's a common hypnogogic hallucination that happens just as you are about to fall asleep.

When I've heard it, it's a very clear voice saying 'hello', or calling me by name. My pdoc says this is separate to psychotic voices, but YMMV.

I've considered hypnagogic hallucination because I've had them before and they are distinct. I was literally half-asleep and my body would be paralyzed by the sleep, but my mind was aware and awake of surroundings and I would hear a crowd of people talking in my kitchen, clear as day, or would feel an invisible presence in the room, felt fear, but couldn't move. 

This instance seemed different because I was fully awake... I'll mention it at my appt this Friday and see if they think it might be worth looking into. Wouldn't want to get worse if it's a warning of something more to come.

i've experienced comparable and the key for me is, as you said, being fully awake...lying in bed does not alone a hypnogogic situation make. and it happens when it's the start of something, for me.

I would definitely tell your pdoc.  The sooner it is addressed it won't be as bad in the future.  With me, I let it go and didn't tell anyone and it all became so engrained in me that it pretty much can't be undone, even with medication.  Had I gotten help right away I would have been better off and medication would have probably gotten things under control more.

this is why i'm glad you're going to mention it. the truth of what melissa wrote for me as well ...it stabs at me viscerally when i read it because it's why early detection and so forth is so important. and even if you're suspected, until you start working with the professionals... my denial and justifications and just outright blindness and delusional thinking kept me silent and that did a lot of damage. i'm glad you're already set on saying something and i hope your appointment is constructive and you find some resolution.

Sometimes when I am getting up out of bed I have hallucinations. Actually they jolt me out of bed and they are very loud. But its usually my name being called or similar things. hasn't happened in awhile though. Yes, definitely tell your pdoc.