CrazyBoards.org

signs Strattera is working?

How do you know that Strattera is starting to work?  I ask because I have been on increasing doses of it since August, and I still can't say it's helping with any confidence.  My inclination is to say this means it isn't helping (yet?), but it seems this is the wrong answer.  It's supposed to be working by now, or so the questions seem to imply whenever my psychiatrist or OT poke around my words, trying to find something which will indicate it's working despite my denials. Some little shred of me is beginning to doubt my judgement.  Maybe it is working and I just haven't noticed?  But don't you typically notice when your meds start working?  That's been the case for my bipolar drugs, at least.  Ugh.  Questions.  Annoying.  Dammit.

Look for changes in the more direct ADD symptoms and not behaviors learned because of ADD.

Some stuff you have to relearn or unlearn.  Meds aren't going to help with everything.

Stuff to keep an eye on as indicators:

The number of pages you read before suddenly realizing your eyes of have been scanning back and forth but you haven't taken in a single word.

How far into a lecture your notes actually make sense before turning into random phrases that sorta relate to what is being said.

Waiting for someone to finish a sentence before responding.

The number of moves ahead you can think while playing chess or connect 4.

The ability to actually think about chord structure and play music at the same time.

Putting both shoes on within a few minutes of each other.

Maybe this should be in the ADD forum.

If the change is gradual, it may be hard to notice. A bit easier with the stimulants because they act so fast. I have a little trouble telling how effective Adderal is after a year, because I get used to things. However, I seem to remember that I used to misplace a lot more things. Also, I seem to remember being a bit more socially awkward. Plus, I can have a conversation in a pizza joint without being driven nuts by the TV, even if I can see the screen. These are all pretty subjective, of course.

Going by your suggested indicators, I'm right and my pdoc's hopes are wrong when I say it hasn't brought around any improvement yet.  Reading important things takes too long due to backtracking, my notes are hopeless, I couldn't find my glasses this morning (fruit bowl), and I still interrupt all the freaking time (including in class, with song lyrics that happen to vaguely pertain to Luther, who borrowed heavily from Paul, who we are sort of discussing in relation to the ethic of conviction).  I also couldn't stand the damned TV visible out of the corner of my eye while in line for lunch and turned it off with my handy little universal remote control.  (How am I supposed to read with flashing lights around?)  I am the endpoint of a long chain of misplaced and forgotten objects, receiving phone calls pretty much daily saying "you forgot your scarf in my office," "I think you left your umbrella here the other day," "this is Security.  We found your wallet," etc.  Take that, pushy healthcare people.

Thanks for giving me some tangible things to keep an eye on.  There are another three weeks to go, minimum, before we look at leaving the 50mg dose behind.  We'll see what happens in the interim. 

Archived