CrazyBoards.org

Can antipsychotics cause facial puffiness without an allergic reaction?

My face is significantly rounder and fuller than it was before I went on antipsychotics. I've gained a little bit of weight from the Invega, but not enough to cause such a noticeable change in my face. Although I'm glad that the Invega has kept me stable, I'm bothered by the way my face appears when I look in the mirror. I'm almost certain that it's not an allergic reaction.

Has this happened to anyone else? Could it be due to my high prolactin levels?

Edited by Hadeharia

I looked through the PI (http://www.invega.com/prescribing-information) and found "General disorders: edema" in section 6.9. So, yes, it evidently can cause swelling. I added the link so you can look yourself if you're so inclined. 

It could be fluid retention. I know that sometimes I'll get swelling in my feet when I start a new med. After a couple of weeks, it'll stop. In my experience increased prolactin causes things like breast tenderness. 

I looked through the PI (http://www.invega.com/prescribing-information) and found "General disorders: edema" in section 6.9. So, yes, it evidently can cause swelling. I added the link so you can look yourself if you're so inclined. 

It could be fluid retention. I know that sometimes I'll get swelling in my feet when I start a new med. After a couple of weeks, it'll stop. In my experience increased prolactin causes things like breast tenderness. 

Thank you for posting this. It means a lot to me. I tend to develop unusual side effects, so I'm not surprised that it occurs in less than 2% of Invega users. I should have read the PI sheet more thoroughly before making this thread.