CrazyBoards.org

'60 Minutes'' shameful attack on the disabled

I like that the article takes all the falsehoods apart.

Such a horrible hatchet job. I hope that attacks on disabled people do not get the same traction in the US that they have in the UK (and really, it needs to lose all of that traction in the UK - benefits cuts and ATOS are killing people over there).

People who even question the prevalence of fraud in the system of disability are quickly judged as insensitive and hateful when in reality they have a tangible and legitimate point. Certain people fraud the system and get on disability to "beat the system". 

The video is a critique of disability and portion of it is available here: http://therightscoop.com/60-minutes-uncovers-how-the-federal-disability-system-is-being-gamed/

The problem isn't the truly disabled people, it's those who are not. 

Edited by Forbidden91

When an article that uses the word "shameful" in the headline, then leads with a picture of a politician captioned, "The wealthy Sen. Tom Coburn, R-Okla., tells "60 Minutes" about all the poor people whom he says are scamming the government. (CBS)"  I know that I'm just in for reactionary, sensationalism.  Doesn't matter, the topic, the individuals, the whole "who, what, when, where & why" are all subverted to get a reaction that further perpetuates a screaming match.  

In the UK, the errors and miscalculations from bad DWP calculations lose far more money than the fraudsters. Before disabled people are questioned, the DWP should make public how much it's own incompetency is costing the country and remedy that.

Agreed. In the UK the disability fraud is 0.5%. And as far as I know that is just one benefit and that one is being changed for another - just to reduce the money paid out. 

It is so bad here now I can no longer watch the news. Or read anything about the benefit system/people on benefits because of the level of workshy/scrounger comments. 

People who even question the prevalence of fraud in the system of disability are quickly judged as insensitive and hateful when in reality they have a tangible and legitimate point. Certain people fraud the system and get on disability to "beat the system". 

The video is a critique of disability and portion of it is available here: http://therightscoop.com/60-minutes-uncovers-how-the-federal-disability-system-is-being-gamed/

The problem isn't the truly disabled people, it's those who are not. 

The problem is that fraud is treated as a massive epidemic when the truth is that it is actually not that common, and like 42% of people who even apply for disability get it. Most spend years going through appeals before it's even granted, and most people who apply never get it at all.

It's popular to talk about disability fraud because this is a society that values people for their willingness and ability to work - so people who can't work are viewed with suspicion. Going on about fraud and questioning people's disabilities just feeds into and confirms such suspicions.

I am not saying that talking about fraud is bad. Far from it - just be accurate and not false or inflammatory. Don't use it as a vehicle to attack disabled people. 

The URL you linked seems to support the 60 Minutes broadcast, which is deconstructed as a pack of sensationalist lies in the LA Times article linked in the first post. Why use false reporting as an example of the alleged horrors of SSI/SSDI fraud?

Edited by Bellatrix