CrazyBoards.org

Easily Overwhelmed?

I've been medicated for BP II since June and it has been successful. Mania controlled, depression not a constant problem. This autumn has been tough with the seasonal transition, but I still feel like I have more good days than bad. However, I am feeling very easily overstimulated (noise, chaos) and easily overwhelmed by the many little tasks I must complete throughout the day. I'm the mother of two young children and coordinating them in the morning (eating, getting dressed, etc) and the many and constantly changing things they need for school (is it PE day, return this or that folder, bring $2 for this field trip, wear this color that day) has me feeling completely stressed. I'm really frazzled and feel like I can't manage well. It's embarrassing because these things seem doable to other parents, and I'm not sure what I can do other than spend a LOT more time doing things that make me feel like a child myself (charts! extremely strict routines!).

I also struggle with the boredom of it, the grind of day-to-day life. I feel like if I attend to everything in the way I say above, I will not have time for enjoyable things. Or to relax.

Any insights?

It can take awhile to get your meds right, so I agree that maybe you need them adjusted.  But, having small children is a lot of work even if you don't have a mi.  I bet some of those moms that look like they have it all together have some of the same problems.  

One thing I can tell you is it does get easier when they get older and can do those things by themselves.  You may be able to get by without such a strict routine.  I write myself a to-do list so I remember the important things i have to do that day.  Don't forget to breathe and really try to get in some time to do something enjoyable.  I have trouble making myself a priority but if I'm happy things seem easier.

I live by my day planner and smart phone. I have to write everything down, and set alarms in my phone. I use the task app and put deadlines on tasks so that I get automatic reminders.

It also helps greatly to have established routines. Such as homework being done at the same time every day, that sort of thing. I keep book bags in the same place, etc. I also keep a note pad by my bed for those things I remember at night that I need to do in the morning.

Those are the things that help me, anyway.

I do what several other posters suggested, I keep a calendar where I write down everything I need to be doing.  I also try to do a lot of tasks the night before to avoid that morning rush.  I take notes on my phone too and add and subtract things as the day goes on.  Do your kids' teachers have a website where they keep you apprised of everything that's going on?  I make sure to look at that and then add upcoming events to my calendar.

I'm the mother of two young children and coordinating them in the morning (eating, getting dressed, etc) and the many and constantly changing things they need for school (is it PE day, return this or that folder, bring $2 for this field trip, wear this color that day) has me feeling completely stressed. I'm really frazzled and feel like I can't manage well. It's embarrassing because these things seem doable to other parents, and I'm not sure what I can do other than spend a LOT more time doing things that make me feel like a child myself (charts! extremely strict routines!).

Ha! I am a mother too and you just described my days! School demands are insane and I don't think you're abnormal for feeling this way. I don't know of any parents (well maybe one - and she is completely annoying) that don't feel the same way. I am notoriously bad about remembering every..single...little..thing that my kids bring home for me to do. I'm often rushing around digging for change at 7:30 in the morning so that they can buy pickles and popcorn on Fridays. (Yes, that is a thing!) Picture day? Forget it! I'm filling out those order forms as they're walking out the door and getting hand cramps from writing frantically fast. 

I think charts and lists are a great idea and I wouldn't feel childish using them. It's just another thing I forget to do - make them!