CrazyBoards.org

But you don't look crazy...?

My name is Kate, my dad's name is John, I lived in Russia for a while, so that's how I derived my username. But I live in Texas.

I'm married to the sanest person I've ever met. I have an adorable son. I hold down a reasonably good full-time job.

But I'm mad as a hatter.

For the last thirty years or so, I thought I just had terrible, terrible PMS, and in the hunt to deal with that, I've been diagnosed with depression, GAD, and now my docs and I are starting to wonder if I'm actually BP 2? It kind of fits, but I don't know a lot about it.

I'm very, very good at making it seem as though all is well, and it's exhausting. My mom calls my anti-depressants "anti-psychotics". Most of the people in my life try to be understanding, but they just can't wrap their heads around my "moods". But I have a great mental health team looking after me.

I'm just really tired of this and I resent that I have to work on myself because of something that's jacked up in my wiring.

So, that's me!

Love the Alice in Wonderland sig.

Yeah - I've got a good pdoc, a good phddoc, and even my gp is a good egg.

"Mad hatter disease, or mad hatter syndrome, is a commonly used name for occupational chronic mercury poisoning among hatmakers whosefelting work involved prolonged exposure to mercury vapours. The neurotoxic effects included tremor and the pathological shyness and irritability characteristic of erethism." BUT, although Lewis Carroll's iconic Mad Hatter character in Alice's Adventures in Wonderland has often been linked to the occupational hazards of hatmaking, it is thought that the character was directly inspired by the eccentric furniture dealer Theophilus Carter.

Hi Kate, You had me intrigued from the start.  My mother in law is mostly Russian descent, but she was born in Belgrade, Serbia due to political problems back in the Ukraine - mainly her mother had to flee with her family from the Russian revolution.  Never seen the place but sounds interesting and very different to me.  Often watch documentaries.  Welcome to the forum!

Mad as a hatter, love that saying, but it did lose it's original meaning along the way.  Mercury poisoning sounds awful! I can relate to you feeling annoyed over "jacked up wiring".  I hate it too. 

regarding your subject line: you don't look crazy. Funny (not really) but I was visiting someone at the psychiatric ward last month and having never been a patient myself I was expecting people in there to look well, mad as a hatter. To my relief, they didn't. To me, they looked pretty normal! There was one lady, she did seem really out of it, but as the days wore on, she seemed to get a lot better (which is great). Good luck

Feel free to ask anything you want about my experience in Russia - it was wild.

I forgot to add - ADD as well. Undiagnosed until I was well into adulthood.

I'm actually kind of fine with my situation - it's a lot better than when I didn't understand at all why I felt the way I did. I just get tired of CBT because hey, this isn't my fault, why do I have to make lists and fill in forms and "work" on my thinking? So not fair. And I know I'm being childish and ridiculous about this. :) It just makes me tired.

regarding your subject line: you don't look crazy. Funny (not really) but I was visiting someone at the psychiatric ward last month and having never been a patient myself I was expecting people in there to look well, mad as a hatter. To my relief, they didn't. To me, they looked pretty normal! There was one lady, she did seem really out of it, but as the days wore on, she seemed to get a lot better (which is great). Good luck

I spent a weekend in a psych ward after having a total anxiety meltdown. Everyone who came in that day was a mess, but after a couple of days, pretty much everyone seemed really normal, except for the couple of people with disassociative disorders. It was a fairly low-stress environment, and everyone was on their meds. So there is that.

I spent a weekend in a psych ward after having a total anxiety meltdown. Everyone who came in that day was a mess, but after a couple of days, pretty much everyone seemed really normal, except for the couple of people with disassociative disorders. It was a fairly low-stress environment, and everyone was on their meds. So there is that.

I spent 5 days in the hospital. After a few days everyone was normal. that's the point. they are supposed to stabilize you

Edited by crazybrduser

627.jpg?2295

The Mad Hatter's tea party was the theme for our wedding.

It looks like Newton also lost quite a few brain cells using mercury in his attempts at alchemy.

ETA: That's Michael Palin, if you weren't sure.

Edited by crtclms
Afraid someone would think that was a painting of Newton

hahahaha, Chris...did Yakov ever actually use that one? It seems far more classic Chris than YS.

Katerina, I think you'll find many of us here share similar traits (as well as dx's) in that most of us can pass as "normal" in day to day life. Crazy people would make the best actors, IMO. Most of the time no one has a fucking clue what's going on inside our heads!