CrazyBoards.org

Stimulants for BP 2

I've found stimulants to be very helpful in treating my BP 2. But the one I'm on is crapping out (adderall). I've tried concerta and provigil as well with limited results. Does anyone know of another stimulant that may work? I've researched it and Ritalin and Dexedrine are the ones I've found, but they seem to affect the same brain chemicals.

I'm wondering on why you're on Adderall for BPII. Are you getting it from your pdoc? Are you on other meds? Adderall isn't generally used for stabilizing moods. If you're using Adderall for mood stabilization it is certainly being used off-label. Some people use stimulants for treatment resistant depression but not so much for BPII. 

That being said, I take Adderall for ADD. I have BPI. I would never attempt to just be on Adderall. When I do take it, it is with the understanding that I'll stop taking it if I start to get manic. 

I assume that you are trying to use stimulants to treat depression. True? If so, the answer probably lies in meds other than stims, although stimulants may still have a role.

What meds do you take and what ones have you tried?

I take Lamictal, Latuda, Klonopin and Adderall. Lamictal and Latuda both are stabilizers with decent antidepressant action. I think Adderall helps a little with depression, maybe, but I take it for ADD, for focus. If I lower Lamictal or Latuda, depression bites me. If I skip Adderall, my mood might dim a tad but no bulbs actually go out.

I asked about your other meds and meds you've tried because I think you'll get more useful feedback talking about the bigger treatment situation.

If depression is your biggest problem these days, then having all meds in your cocktail help might help you feel better. There are a few different AAPs supposedly with more antidepressant action than Risperdal. A recent thread here suggested that was the consensus - it helped a couple with depression, but most said it helped with mania and anxiety but not so much depression, which was my experience. For what that's worth. Maybe talk to your pdoc about trying a different AAP.? Lithium also can be effective treatment for depression. Maybe combined with a stim, you'll get some traction.

Sorry that Lamictal pooped out on you.

Edited by AnneMarie

I wish I had a different stimulant suggestion for you. Ritalin essentially is short acting Concerta. Dexedrine might be worth a shot, but my understanding is that it's not radically different than Adderall. Still, might be worth a try. Probably better to work on your cocktail, tho.