CrazyBoards.org

maybe this will turn things around

let me start by saying that I have been struggling with a pretty significant depression since the beginning of june. I have been suicidal on-and-off, to varying degrees; sometimes for weeks at a time, and sometimes impulsively. sunday was one of the latter.

I realized that something had to change. I have been on risperidal since February to augment my AD, and it is clearly not doing what it is intended to do. the only aap that has consistently helped control my depression was abilify; which we stopped because of side effects during the holidays last year.

I HATE calling my pdoc. it doesn't matter what is happening, I truly hate having to call. I always feel as if I am overstepping boundaries, that I am exaggerating symptoms, and that I should be able to hold it together between appointments. it doesn't matter how many times I am told otherwise, I still feel this way. I probably should have called on sunday when I was having my symptoms, but I really couldn't bring myself to call on the weekend. I did call my pdoc's office on Monday and left a message for him to call me when he had a chance. he works tues/weds/thurs. his office manager called me back on Monday and asked if I needed to speak to him then, because she could page him.

I hesitated because I knew that I should really talk to him, but in the end I said that it could wait until Tuesday. I was no longer feeling driven to harm myself, and the call was now really about a request for a med change. when I talked to him on tues, I told him the basics about the weekends symptoms, and said that I felt that it was time to make a change and that I wanted to go back to abilify- at least for now. I am now on a higher dose than I was prior to discontinuing last year, and we will re-evaluate as needed. I am supposed to call and report my progress.

so here are my questions. does anyone else have as much trouble calling their pdoc about symptoms? how do you get past this? have any of you gone back to an old stand-by med in times of crisis, and did you change again once the crisis was past, or did you stick with it for awhile? what do you consider acceptable and unacceptable side effects?

I know that these are a lot of questions. you can answer all, none, comment on the post, or- im sure most of you haven't read this far. that's ok.

so here are my questions. does anyone else have as much trouble calling their pdoc about symptoms? how do you get past this? have any of you gone back to an old stand-by med in times of crisis, and did you change again once the crisis was past, or did you stick with it for awhile? what do you consider acceptable and unacceptable side effects?

No, I don't have any problem calling my pdoc about anything.  Even on weekends I'll page him if necessary.  I've never really had a problem with doing this.  I guess I always figured it was their job, so answering a call from me was something that I didn't have a problem with.

If I am in crisis, I will call pdoc, and usually he will tweak a med.  If for whatever reason I can't reach him, I will take what I need to (with the meds I have) until he calls -- he trusts me to do this.

What makes or breaks side effects being acceptable or unacceptable is the degree of the hallucinations, major mood swings for more than a day or 2, a bad depressed episode, or a very manic episode.  I haven't been suicidal for a very long time, but that would be another reason for me to call him.

so here are my questions. does anyone else have as much trouble calling their pdoc about symptoms? how do you get past this? have any of you gone back to an old stand-by med in times of crisis, and did you change again once the crisis was past, or did you stick with it for awhile?

I veer back and forth on how comfortable I am with calling my pdoc.  Last Friday I really needed to speak to her, but she wasn't in the office and her assistant said I could call her cellphone.  I wound up waiting until Monday, because it just didn't feel right to bother her - even though I didn't have the best weekend.  I do think that part of this is that I just dislike using the phone in general.

As for going back to an old stand-by med, I've just had Trileptal added back to my cocktail after several years because I've been struggling with manic symptoms associated with the change in season.  I'm just starting out on a low dose, but I imagine it'll be raised next week.  I tend to do better in winter (it's spring here), so it's possible that we'll remove the Trileptal when the weather gets cooler and darker in May/June next year.

I feel weird about calling mine on the weekend or a holiday. I know it's his job but I still feel awkward. The only time I have called on those "off times" is when I am near crisis mode. Side effects...as long as they aren't preventing me from functioning at an acceptable level, such as driving or not able to work because of dizziness or nausea, for example.

Edited by wj74

I never have liked calling my doctor, so I'm with you there. I don't have a psychiatrist anymore - my general practitioner prescribes my meds for me. I don't call them, either, but I haven't felt the need to yet. I suppose if the shit went downhill I would have to, but it would be hard. It would be especially difficult because if I destabilize they'll send me back to one of the two very inadequate psychiatrists in this town and that is not ok with me. I think I would take a klonopin and wait it out for a day or two to see if that helped. But, I'm not saying this is a good idea. Calling your doctor is probably better than that plan. I did start taking abilify again after a couple months of being off of it. I was having some strange thoughts and wanted to knock that off before it got out of control. 

Side effects that are unacceptable for me include the high progesterone levels that risperidone created, and the zombie-like fugue from Geodon. I don't take klonopin often because it makes me drowsy unless I'm really wracked with anxiety - in which case it works fine. Other side effects that I have not necessarily had but would be deal breakers for me include: RLS, Rash, Mania, Debilitating Fatigue, and I'm sure there are others.

I guess in summation I would say to please do call your doctor earlier rather than later. It's better to nip symptoms right away rather than suffering through them unnecessarily. Their job is to make sure you're healthy, and they need to hear from you to ensure that they do just that. 

I hate calling people, even my friends and family, and even less so my pdoc. It took one major crisis though to finally realize that he is paid to listening to me, it is his job and if I am going through a dark phase, he can help or at least provide some guidance.

Do call them, even if it means admitting that something is wrong. Keeping it all bottled up only makes it worse, trust me on that.

All the best to you.

"so here are my questions. does anyone else have as much trouble calling their pdoc about symptoms? how do you get past this? have any of you gone back to an old stand-by med in times of crisis, and did you change again once the crisis was past, or did you stick with it for awhile? what do you consider acceptable and unacceptable side effects?"

I have a terribly hard time calling my pdoc between appointments for many of the same reasons that you do. I feel I'm not worth the hassle. I feel like I'm not worth the bother. I feel like others have it worse. I feel like I don't deserve help. I feel like I am bothering the pdoc. Etc.

Sometimes I just take the plunge and grab my phone and hit the call button right away without any pause and then I have no time to "back out" of calling.

I don't switch meds in times of crisis because my pdoc prefers to temporarily increase or decrease the current meds that I'm on first.

As far as side effects, I consider a lot of them to be acceptable. Anything so that I feel better. I have gained like 75 lbs on meds. I now exercise and try to watch what I eat and am losing some inches and a few lbs too. The extreme hunger though has been a deal breaker for me. Also RLS like symptoms from saphris. And zyprexa. Those worked well for me but the side effects were unbearable so I quit them.

I hope you feel better soon!

i don't know if this will help, but i was referred by my GP to fantastic pdoc. i was really bad off with anxiety and depression when we started meeting, and she was like, THERAPY THERAPY THERAPY. i still haven't found one i like, so i'm stuck with self-help.

however, when i first started going, i used to call her like every two weeks. like clockwork. now i feel like i'm a bother when i call, like oh there she is again, telling us this medicine didn't work, or the anxiety is up again. i HATE calling her now, even though she always returns my phone calls. so i try to stick to meetings when i just verbally vomit on her. i think if i was in therapy, i would not need her so much. it's a catch-22.