CrazyBoards.org

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also have a Mirena and for me, I have found it to be a blessing, not having to get the Implanon put into my arm again and not taking pills.  It has meant I have gone without a period for the whole time I have had it (yay!) - which is a blessing in itself as I was bleeding every 2 weeks and for a long time/heavily.  I was bordering on anaemic.  I am however in my 40s so the Mirena may interact differently for others; actually, it can be a whole different experience for others, some bled more! It is highly individual and there is no way of saying whether it will work out for you but I love it! Still, i have had a child and am not wanting more due to age and MI (plus my son is on the autism spectrum, so there is another challenge). 

Don't use me as an example because I am probably in the minority...a lot of people are okay on the progesterone only products but they put me into a mixed hell. Depressed but agitated, can't concentrate at all. And then I bled for the 6 months that I had it in. Not just periods, every day I bled. I begged my doctor to take it out, and they said it probably wasn't the Mirena but for me it was the combination of my crazies and the hormones. I went back to my regular level of crazy within a few months. It was bad enough that my coworkers noticed.

I am getting one in a couple of weeks to keep my endometrium thinned out.  I am postmenopausal and a thickened endometrium can often be cancerous.  The progesterone in the Mirena keeps it thinned out and balances out the excess estrogen that made it thick in the first place.

I have never had kids so have requested a misoprostol prescription to soften my cervix.  The doctor also recommended 800 mg of ibruprofen a couple of hours beforehand.  I am still undecided about a shot of lidocaine in the cervix, which is supposed to really help with pain, but from some reports the shot is pretty painful, too.  I'll see what the doctor thinks when we get started.  At any rate, I'm expecting pain during and cramps afterwards, but a day of discomfort is well worth not having to worry about cancer, and I also would feel the same way about trading a day of discomfort for not worrying about getting pregnant. 

I had a copper IUD for several years but it made my already heavy periods worse.  The Mirena hadn't been invented yet.

Mirena has been a great thing for me. A friend went on it to help lessen her bleeding/lining, and so far so good I think.

No periods or spotting for me (except for a weird "period" a couple weeks ago, this also happened for a few months after I had the first one put in, but disappeared after that. Any pain or cramping was gone within a week, both times).

I remember one part of it hurting the first time that didn't bother me the second time. At all. This second time (August 2013)? Yea, a part I don't remember hurting as badly the first time made me cry. It could have been a quicker procedure, the person doing it was new to Planned Parenthood as a PA and she decided she "wanted to try it." Sigh.

It's in, it's done, I'm stlil really happy with it. The hormones are minimal in Mirena since it's meant to last for 5 years.

I am getting one in a couple of weeks to keep my endometrium thinned out.  I am postmenopausal and a thickened endometrium can often be cancerous.  The progesterone in the Mirena keeps it thinned out and balances out the excess estrogen that made it thick in the first place.

I have never had kids so have requested a misoprostol prescription to soften my cervix.  The doctor also recommended 800 mg of ibruprofen a couple of hours beforehand.  I am still undecided about a shot of lidocaine in the cervix, which is supposed to really help with pain, but from some reports the shot is pretty painful, too.  I'll see what the doctor thinks when we get started.  At any rate, I'm expecting pain during and cramps afterwards, but a day of discomfort is well worth not having to worry about cancer, and I also would feel the same way about trading a day of discomfort for not worrying about getting pregnant. 

I had a copper IUD for several years but it made my already heavy periods worse.  The Mirena hadn't been invented yet.

The DR also gave me a misoprostol pill also to take.  The ibuprofen is a good idea, thank you.  I'm still thinking about it. I just had a very painful procedure involvng terrible cramping, so atm I want nothing that will cause any cramping.  Maybe in a month things will be different.  It might just have been a bad time for the DR to have brought it up.

Mirena has been a great thing for me. A friend went on it to help lessen her bleeding/lining, and so far so good I think.

No periods or spotting for me (except for a weird "period" a couple weeks ago, this also happened for a few months after I had the first one put in, but disappeared after that. Any pain or cramping was gone within a week, both times).

I remember one part of it hurting the first time that didn't bother me the second time. At all. This second time (August 2013)? Yea, a part I don't remember hurting as badly the first time made me cry. It could have been a quicker procedure, the person doing it was new to Planned Parenthood as a PA and she decided she "wanted to try it." Sigh.

It's in, it's done, I'm stlil really happy with it. The hormones are minimal in Mirena since it's meant to last for 5 years.

Do you know if it interacts with lamictal?  I'm not sure what meds you are on, but with all other BC I've taken, it is affected my lamictal levels.

I had a Mirena for 8 years (5 years for the first, 3 for the second- you have to replace them after 5 years).

I got the first one inserted when I was incredibly unstable, so I don't really know how it affected me emotionally/psychologically. After getting the second one in, I definitely noticed pretty intense PMSy mood related Sx for about six months- but if it happens and you are aware of it, you should be able to find a way to manage. That was really the only downside, other than wishing I was still having monthly bleeding (I feel disconnected from my body when I don't).

The upsides were great! Being nearly 100% certain I wouldn't get pregnant, no cramping, hardly any hormonal mood shifts after the initial 6 months, and I didn't need to remember to do anything for contraception (other than check the string once in awhile). And though I missed having periods (I had light spotting maybe half a dozen times in eight years), it was kind of nice to not think about using pads every month.

I am extremely sensitive to hormonal birth control, and the amount of progesterone in the Mirena really didn't affect me too much.

You know, I often wondered about the hormone aspect with Mirena and other stuff as I used to get pretty bad PMS in the past but no doctor ever sussed it out.  I just had to get by, which has often been the case for me - just getting by in life, you know trying to survive on your own as you do. 

Anyhoo, Melissa, I hope it works out for you, whatever you decide! :)

You know, I often wondered about the hormone aspect with Mirena and other stuff as I used to get pretty bad PMS in the past but no doctor ever sussed it out.  I just had to get by, which has often been the case for me - just getting by in life, you know trying to survive on your own as you do. 

Anyhoo, Melissa, I hope it works out for you, whatever you decide! :)

Thank you kristen :)  I still haven't made my mind up yet.  I guess I really don't want something in me that I cant control like I could a pill or patch.  ie, I could just stop taking a pill or stop wearing a patch, whereas this would need to be removed and all.  I know that isn't such a huge deal but I don't want to have a bad reaction and not be able to control it until an appt opens up to get it taken out.

The DR also gave me a misoprostol pill also to take.  The ibuprofen is a good idea, thank you.  I'm still thinking about it. I just had a very painful procedure involvng terrible cramping, so atm I want nothing that will cause any cramping.  Maybe in a month things will be different.  It might just have been a bad time for the DR to have brought it up.

Do you know if it interacts with lamictal?  I'm not sure what meds you are on, but with all other BC I've taken, it is affected my lamictal levels.

You should double check with your doctor, but as far as I know, Lamictal interacts with the estrogen component of oral contraceptives, and Mirena is progesterone only.

Oh, and lidocaine shots in the cervix (for surgery for cancer previously) hurt me so much more than the quick crampy pain from the IUC insertion, but I had four kids by then. It might be more difficult if you haven't had kids. I think getting it inserted during your period makes it easier.

Titania: copper iud is hormone free. 

I had very bad experiences with the copper, but I recently got the mirena and so far so good. Cramps come much more frequently, but with much less severity. Hormonally, I'm very good on progestin only and I'm the most stable in that regard than I have been my entire period-having life. Physically, with the exception of the possible uterus perforation (very very rare) and increased chance of infection right after insertion (also fairly rare) the mirena tends to fare a lot better with most, whereas some people have much heavier bleeding and very very bad cramps on the copper (mine made me anaemic). The physical risk is low and it is the most effective birth control you can get (at least where I am). 

If you are worried about mood swings or hormonal issues and aren't ready to get something inserted into you, try asking your doc for Micronor. It is a progestin only pill that is the closest you an get without having one- personally, I took it for many months prior to making my decision and it was very similar, but the mirena gives me even less emotional pms symptoms. And I used to have serious issues, probably something like PMDD but I've never really looked into it much. From what I know, progestin IUDS offer the best protection against pregnancy while also delivering the least amount of hormones to the blood stream. Most of the progestin just stays put in your uterus!

You should double check with your doctor, but as far as I know, Lamictal interacts with the estrogen component of oral contraceptives, and Mirena is progesterone only.

Oh ok, thanks for that info!  Good to know!  I will check.

Oh, and lidocaine shots in the cervix (for surgery for cancer previously) hurt me so much more than the quick crampy pain from the IUC insertion, but I had four kids by then. It might be more difficult if you haven't had kids. I think getting it inserted during your period makes it easier.

Yes, she wants to insert it around the first day of my period.

Titania: copper iud is hormone free. 

I had very bad experiences with the copper, but I recently got the mirena and so far so good. Cramps come much more frequently, but with much less severity. Hormonally, I'm very good on progestin only and I'm the most stable in that regard than I have been my entire period-having life. Physically, with the exception of the possible uterus perforation (very very rare) and increased chance of infection right after insertion (also fairly rare) the mirena tends to fare a lot better with most, whereas some people have much heavier bleeding and very very bad cramps on the copper (mine made me anaemic). The physical risk is low and it is the most effective birth control you can get (at least where I am). 

If you are worried about mood swings or hormonal issues and aren't ready to get something inserted into you, try asking your doc for Micronor. It is a progestin only pill that is the closest you an get without having one- personally, I took it for many months prior to making my decision and it was very similar, but the mirena gives me even less emotional pms symptoms. And I used to have serious issues, probably something like PMDD but I've never really looked into it much. From what I know, progestin IUDS offer the best protection against pregnancy while also delivering the least amount of hormones to the blood stream. Most of the progestin just stays put in your uterus!

This is helpful, thanks!

Have had the Mirena IUD for 9 years. Currently on my second. Have no menstrual cycle, cramps or PMS. It's awesome. The first IUD I bled for about 3 months, off and on heavy/light.  Then it turned into just spotting and finally nothing. 

It hurts going in and feels crampy for a day, but other than that - awesome! 

Have had the Mirena IUD for 9 years. Currently on my second. Have no menstrual cycle, cramps or PMS. It's awesome. The first IUD I bled for about 3 months, off and on heavy/light.  Then it turned into just spotting and finally nothing. 

It hurts going in and feels crampy for a day, but other than that - awesome! 

Thank you ... this adds to the other posts for reasons for me to have it put in.

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE:  I am extremely skeptical about getting this put in.  If I get it put in this week (it would be the 'right' time to do it), I won't have access to the DR (no ride there) for over a week if something goes wrong, the cramping gets worse, etc. unless I go to the ER by ambulance.  And I'd prefer to not wait until it is that bad.

So I called pdoc to ask him his thoughts about it, and he said to wait for a month or 2, because with the anxiety of it all and the (most likely) pain, it will be hard to tell what is going on with the anxiety mixed in knowing I don't have a ride there.  If that makes sense.  So I am waiting at least a month to have this done.