CrazyBoards.org

Medications and absent-mindedness

Hi, everyone.

I have nice cocktail of drugs for multiple issues--Depression, Migraines, GERD, Allergies, High BP, ADHD.

I have always been a little absent-minded about little things, for example, I used to put an empty jug of milk back in the fridge. I would also leave things in one place while I did something and then forget to take it with me.  However, it seems that over time this has gotten work.  I have completely missed a doctor's appointment (only one so far) and almost missed another by a few minutes.  During Graduate school I have forgotten to do at least one homework assignment.  At home, I forget to do chores or make phone calls or record my migraines.

The problem at the moment is that my husband and I are using a points system with our daughter.  I forget to write down points earned or used.  I also forget to check the number of points she has earned when she wants to do something that requires points, such as watching TV. On the other hand, I do remember birthdays, address, etc.

My question is does anyone know if any of the drugs I am currently taking  (see my signature) could be causing this absent-mindedness. I hadn't really thought about a connection between my meds and the drugs and so I haven't had a chance to talk to my doctors about it.  Still would like to know if anyone has had the same experience or has heard anything.

Thanks, 

Lamictal can cause problems like these. If you've started it fairly recently the absent-mindedness might pass. It did for me after a few months. Benzo's make me absent-minded when I take them, so it could be the Ativan, too. I'd say it's a fairly common problem with both types of drug.

I have been on one or another antidepressant or mood stabiliser for years now and I know my brain was better before I started (i.e I had more intelligence and a better memory).  I can't point to one particular pill but I do know I am mentally sharper when off meds.  Of course, I don't always feel great otherwise without meds but I guess there is some pay off.  Sucks that meds have bad effects/side effects but they are a form of poison after all, just at a therapeutic level....

The absent-mindedness has been going on for a while. I would say it was mild when I was younger. Putting empty milk jugs back in the fridge and staring off into space or out the window when class got boring.  However, I would not forget important school work and religiously used a planner. As an adult I was good at remembering appointments without necessarily writing them down.  Since I was diagnosed with depression and my migraines came back for good (I had 6 year break.) I have forgotten a couple of doctors appointments, meeting with friends for lunch, doing stuff that my husband needed me to do, forgetting where I leave keys, sunglassess, wallets, etc.  I can't keep up with my daughter's homework even though I have read the assignment sheet a couple of hours before.  I am trying to use my phone more frequently, but I sometimes don't hear the alarm or notifications. 

I was diagnosed with a mild version of ADD, but I don't think I had this much trouble before I was on all the meds.  Either way, I was just curious what other peoples experiences had been. This is not something I am obsessing about, but it has led to my husband getting upset with me for forgetting important things i.e. how we handle my daughter's misbehavior, etc. 

Thanks, 

Sandra

Depakote caused me to literally forget what I was saying and thinking right in the middle of a sentence.  I was taking a high dose because of a manic episode.  I don't have any help for forgetting your child's point system.  My dh and I found we were miserable failures at keeping a point system when the kids were little.

Depakote caused me to literally forget what I was saying and thinking right in the middle of a sentence.  I was taking a high dose because of a manic episode.  I don't have any help for forgetting your child's point system.  My dh and I found we were miserable failures at keeping a point system when the kids were little.

I am like this. I could be talking or doing something and I have a blank and cannot remember what I am doing/saying. I told pdoc about it last time I saw her and asked her what meds could be causing this. She said it was very likely to be a symptom of my illness (Bipolar). I'm not sure I am convinced though. Oh well