CrazyBoards.org

I've been having extreme pain after eating for the past few weeks.  Yesterday it got so bad and was so obviously not indigestion like I thought that I went to the dr.  He said it's 98% likely to be gallstones.  I'm going for an ultrasound later today.  I'm just worried about what will happen with my meds mixed with any meds they use for the procedure to remove the gallstones.  If they say at the ultrasound that I have gallstones, do any of you know what I should do to try to keep an even keel?  What if they tell me that I can't take something for a day?  The lithium goes away so fast that just missing it by a few hours will make me start to be paranoid and twitchy.  

I've never done this myself, but I would doubt that they'd give you anything that would interact so badly with your psych meds that you'd have to stop taking any one of them. Not even for a day. They know that is very important.

As for the rest, no idea, sorry :/  I just wanted to say you shouldn't worry about the meds thing too much. They'll work something out. They'll check interactions and find something for you to take with your current medications.

If the problem is gall stones, the standard procedure these days is Lithotripsy, where ultrasonic pulses are used to break them apart.  I don't believe you'd have to come off any meds unless they have anticoagulant properties.

For any surgery I have had, and I have had many, I never had to go without meds.  They just had me take meds with a small amount of water the morning of surgery (and as usual the night before).

If it is gallstones, I'd try a low-fat diet.  Fat seems to make the pain worse.

If you google low-fat diet and gallstones there will probably be lots of information on it.

I have had that worry but it's always been unfounded. I've had ultrasounds. No one asked me to stop psych meds. Same for other procedures. Same with major surgery. Ask to talk to the nurse at the doc's office or clinic about what the tests/procedures entail. Lower the mystery, lower your stress. Nurses typically field questions like this.